Autoghaph's on a jersey

Quagmire

I have read a lot of post, on a variety of forum's, in regards to getting autograph's on game worn jerseys. Personally, and this is just me, the jersey's I purchase I wear ( there are a couple that dont get wore lol). Any chance I get; especially when a team that I have a jersey from plays the Panthers....my son & I have season tickets lol.

But anyway...I have several with autographs and my question is this....

Is there any way to protect the autographs??

Something that could be applied to protect them without doing any damage to the jersey ?

Edited by Quagmire

Umm I don't know of anything that would protect the jersey except for not wearing it. Ink will fade when wearing it and then washing it obviously. I mean the only thing I could even think about that would allow you wear it and 'protect' it is some kind of clear coating which would ruin the jersey. I would assume if it was the number signed, you can strip that off and get it replaced.

Anyone know otherwise?

Target (when I get to the USA I get a ton) sells clear suit covers that are mesh on one side and clear plastic on the other. I throw an auto'd jersey in one, and put it in the closet so that it's not in direct light. The ones I have framed are not in direct sunlight and are behind UV protected glass.

I have a question in the opposite direction.

I picked up a Red - Hawks Chelios Ultrafil jersey off of e-bay and it's autographed but Cheli put "to brett, all the best"

What would you suggest to get sharpie off?

Cheli haunts his cousins bar near my house so if I ever want to get a new autograph I'm sure i could but i'm not a fan of marking up a nice jersey.

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1

Do a search for "autograph removal" or "removing autographs" at the gameworn.net forums. Most, if not all, of the game worn collectors do not want signatures on game worn jerseys at all and a few have developed techniques to remove signatures that they have discussed over the years on that forum.

I picked up a Red - Hawks Chelios Ultrafil jersey off of e-bay and it's autographed but Cheli put "to brett, all the best"

Cheli haunts his cousins bar near my house so if I ever want to get a new autograph I'm sure i could but i'm not a fan of marking up a nice jersey.

About a year ago I picked up a white LA Kings jersey with about 30 auto's on it all done in black sharpie. I took it to the dry cleaners and they got all of them out and had the jersey looking like nothing was ever on it.

so that was YOU that beat me on the bidding of that jersey! Just for that I think we need to make a deal with that white one you have ;)

so that was YOU that beat me on the bidding of that jersey! Just for that I think we need to make a deal with that white one you have ;)

Sorry, I have been kind of a E-bay Hoo-er lately, I'm trying to get back into upping my collection and don't know of many other places to look.

I thought i was cool with about (now) 70 jerseys but I saw yesterday that a few guys on here have over 400!! I suck!!

My thoughts on the White Hawks ultrafil are this... It is in great shape but the black loop stitching in the hair of the indian head seems a little thin, I don't want to make a sale or a trade unless i know we are both getting something we are proud to have.

That, plus it's my only White one and it kinda has intrinsic value.

Don't you worry, if I ever want to move it you will be the first I contact.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if anyone's ever tried removing an autograph from a number. The folks on gameworn.net seem to think it's near impossible but there are posts of people starting it, but not finishing it.

This would be an autograph that is less than two months old. It's on a game worn jersey and I'd rather not have the autograph, but the seller had it done after the game. Still happy to have the jersey, but would love to get the auto removed if possible. It's black sharpie on an off white number.

like jeff said, if you're talking gamers, it's heavily frowned up to get them signed.

if you're certain that the jersey will never leave your collection then do whatever makes you happy, but if you see yourself having to possibly move the shirt down the road, you will not only take a big hit $-wise, but you will also scare some collectors away.

for those of you on the gw.net board, user "hockeyjimm" has removed large personalized autos from both of my LI Jawz gamers. if you visit his site his site, click on jerseys and then auto removal. you can see befores and afters for some of the shirts he has done including one of my jerseys

http://www.hockeyjimm.com/

obviously, he can never make any guarantees, but he usually has an idea if he can foresee a problem.

like jeff said, if you're talking gamers, it's heavily frowned up to get them signed.

if you're certain that the jersey will never leave your collection then do whatever makes you happy, but if you see yourself having to possibly move the shirt down the road, you will not only take a big hit $-wise, but you will also scare some collectors away.

for those of you on the gw.net board, user "hockeyjimm" has removed large personalized autos from both of my LI Jawz gamers. if you visit his site his site, click on jerseys and then auto removal. you can see befores and afters for some of the shirts he has done including one of my jerseys

http://www.hockeyjimm.com/

obviously, he can never make any guarantees, but he usually has an idea if he can foresee a problem.

Sadly, it wasn't my choice. I bought one of the AHL All Star jerseys that they auctioned and they had them autographed before they even listed them for sale. I definitely wanted the gamer, so I had to decide if I could live with the auto, or have the guts to try to remove the auto.

Thanks for the info, I saw that name discussed on gameworn.net.

OK. Gotta ask. Why is it frowned upon for gamers to be signed? If it is an authentic autograph how does that hurt the jerseys value? I have signed gamers and never heard that it hurts the value.

Just curious

I'm curious about this too, although I'd say that the reason I don't like it is because I just don't like how it looks when you wear it, and I intend to wear this to a game or two. Feels very Nascar to me, heh.

most game worn collectors like the jerseys to be as close off of the players' backs as possible. players dont wear the jerseys with the autographs on the ice, so they dont want them signed after the fact. the same goes for wearing and washing gamers after they're obtained

obviously, that stuff is harder to prove, but if you have a big auto on a rear #, there's no hiding it. if people do feel the urge to get a jersey signed, it's usually better to get it done on the fight strap or behind the crest.

again, it's up to the individual. if you have no intention of selling a jersey or dont care, do what you want. just understand that you will scare collectors away down the road if you ever want to move it