The Official IceJerseys MLB thread

JohnnyOnTheSpot

Lincecum and Halladay aren't worth jack anymore. Lincecum has fallen off and Halladay got taken out of his last start after 3 batters with a dead arm. Not the answer. Wouldn't hurt to get a catcher. I can see Choo on the Mets next year. I'd never take Ellsbury. Pence maybe. Outfield isn't necessarily the problem, especially if they re-sign Granderson, but I doubt they do that. I honestly don't think they make as much money off of attendance as they do other things such as tv and advertising and merchandise, and they'll still have most of that even if the team isn't packed with superstars.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh I think Lincecum needs a change of scenery but Halladay is finished. I'd take Ellsbury over Granderson because of the age difference and the fact that Ells hits for average and can fly. At the least he buys them 3 years to see how Mason Williams pans out in the minors, whereas Granderson isn't worth more than a 1 year deal and probably doesn't have more than two good years left in him anyway. They're in desperate need of a catcher and they have absolutely nobody to pitch. Andy is gone, Hughes is gone, Kuroda is probably gone after last night. That leaves CC and Nova and right now Nova is the better of the two, they have to bring in an ace and I don't think Garza is worth the money even though he won't cost a draft pick, but he still isn't enough unless Pineda somehow rebounds and can actually throw a pitch for us, and one of Banuelos or Betances magically pans out.

Boston fixed it in one offseason, no reason why the Yankees can't do it too. Choo is probably a Met and who knows, Ells might be too if they really feel like going for it but without Harvey who knows if that's even smart. Cano needs to be the priority, and then the rotation and bullpen because Joba is a waste of a roster spot and Robertson is questionable at best. You also have to figure they need a manger because Girardi is probably gonna go manage the Cubs just to avoid the media circus with whatever happens to A-Rod in a week or so.

Lincecum and his violently unorthodox delivery had early decline written all over it. Even with all the injuries this year, Granderson is one of the best outfielders over the last 3 years stats wise, not the Ellsbury isn't, but rather keep what you know than go with what you don't and Ellsbury has an injury history as well. I think Kuroda will still get a multi-year deal from another team if the Yanks don't give it to him, or he could go back and finish his career in Japan if he feels like it.

I was personally expecting and prepared for the Yanks to be bad for the next few years. I know everybody likes to compete every year but it just isn't possible. It's more possible here than elsewhere, but not every year. Just like the Knicks found out the hard way with LeBron, not everybody wants to play in New York or can handle the pressure. And I'm not sure I would give Cano all that money. I'd let him walk. He's a great player, but he's not a superstar, he doesn't always hustle, and he just doesn't fill the seats. People don't say they're going to Yankee Stadium to watch Robinson Cano play baseball. He's not a Derek Jeter. Robertson isn't terrible, he's just not Rivera, and if he has to follow him he's gonna have a hard time, as would anybody, because it's impossible to fill those shoes. I don't know if Girardi goes or stays, but I'm finding myself not necessarily caring either way, even though I like him both as a player and a coach. As for the Mets, if they're gonna spend any money, and it's a big if, it shouldn't matter that Harvey is gonna be out (possibly) because like you said the free agent season the next year isn't better, it's worse, and you only get to sign the players while they're available. Also, going forward, you see less and less star players making it to free agency because they all get extensions these days, so the free agent pools are gonna be worse and worse going forward until this just basically becomes the standard. Better off getting a guy now than later. I also don't think the Mets are too far away. If you look at the makeup of the roster, they're pretty solid. Future franchise catcher, franchise 3rd baseman, Murphy is good at 2nd. Short and 1st are tossups right now, but they might go for Morales. As for the outfield, they're set. Lagares has established himself in center, and Den Dekker is supposed to be even better than him, so they're interchangeable in CF/RF, and I think Eric Young has had a good enough season to be re-signed. Pitching wise the Mets are solid at starting pitching with Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, Hefner, etc.. It's the bullpen that needs some help, but that'll get there eventually. Not much to do honestly.

Unless the Yanks spend the money over the winter they're gonna be bad for the next 5 years, they don't have the prospects coming that they had in '95. It sucks because this isn't the way the Yankee dynasty was supposed to end, the core four were supposed to pass the torch to the next generation but Cashman went and traded away all the prospects for guys who really didn't pan out or weren't here when the team was good enough to win. The Mets are closer than the Yanks and if they fill out the bullpen and bring in an outfielder they'll contend in the next couple years. The Yanks might be a last place team next year, which is pathetic because they're the Yankees but maybe it's because we grew up during the dynasty years and they were always the best team in baseball.

Gonna be tough to watch them if they don't make some big moves. I can't see them keeping Granderson or Cano if they're not gonna make a splash and try to keep the fans in the seats, it doesn't make sense to drop hundreds of millions of dollars just to finish at .500, but who knows. We'll see in 6 weeks or so.

Yeah well, we were definitely spoiled growing up. We might be starting to go into our version of the 80s after having our version of the 70s. I don't think they'll be a last place team cause that's reserved for the Blue Jays, but I can see a 4th place finish, which is really what should have happened this year, and still might. Nobody expected them to hang in as long as they did with all the injuries they had. I think they'll spend enough money to make it look like they're trying without going over the luxury tax threshold. Sadly the team is in a position where they can never just throw a season like the Astros or the Marlins. It really leaves the team unable to refill the farm system, because they can never be a bad enough team to get good enough draft picks. Its the reason the Rangers were so bad for all those years they spent all that money on free agents, while the Islanders and Oilers sucked and got the draft picks and now are on the upswing. No way the Yankees allow themselves to get to that point, which means tough times ahead.

Yeah, we were definitely spoiled, but I don't see how they can get by with spending just enough money to look like they're making an effort without also making a splash. They're looking at at least two bad years, probably more, but like you said, they won't be bad enough to get decent draft picks. Even if they are that bad, their player development is atrocious which is why they're in this position. They haven't had anybody come up and stick since Pettitte and he's retiring for good this time.

Oh well, all I know is today is the day every Yankee fan has hoped would never come for the last 19 years. One last look at Mo, I'll probably have to buy a shirt while I'm there because Modell's doesn't have the shirts with all the stats on them.

I'm just gonna get the hat/shirt with the patch, like I did for Jeter when he broke the hits record. Did you see this morning Cano wants 10 years $305 million? He's gone. Good riddance. He's not worth that. He basically wants the A-Rod contract without having to meet the incentives but still collect the money for em.

Holy s*** that's outrageous. He's out of his mind, he'll wind up getting half of that from somebody like the Dodgers if he's lucky, the draft pick compensation is going to hurt his value. Oh well, screw him. He had a chance to be a franchise player but he's gonna go for the money and be forgotten in 5 years.

Agreed. I'm man enough to admit I got a little choked up when I saw Mo crying when Derek and Andy came to get him. I was in the front row of 136, I hung my Rivera jersey over the wall at the end of the game when he came out to take dirt from the mound. I'll never get used to not seeing Mo warming up for the 9th, it's like living in the Twilight Zone. I also spent way too much money.

Me and my friends spent $53 a seat to sit in 412, except we didn't sit in 412 we sat in the 200s inside the right field foul pole by the good graces of my friends who work at the Stadium. Also, there is no such thing as too much money for a night like tonight.

That's not exactly hard to do with the price of alcohol, and you still weren't as drunk as the a****** behind me who was holding up the line to get out of the section because he was trying to hug the security guard in his drunken stupor. That place was a disaster last night too btw, I spent more time on line trying to get food than I did actually watching the game. 15 minutes on line for sausage for them to run out of sausage when I got to the front of the line, 15 minutes on the other sausage line for them to run out of peppers when I got to the counter, 15 minutes on the original sausage line before I finally got food. 20 minutes on line for garlic fries in the 6th inning because the woman at the counter was older than dirt.

Unreal, the only way I'll ever go to the last home game of the season again is when it's Derek's turn, but I don't think he'll tell us in advance.

And yet it still wasn't as bad as the bobblehead line, so take comfort in knowing that. You're probably right about Jeter, but maybe this season with Rivera will change his mind, especially comparing it side by side with how Pettitte did it. I would think he'd want to give fans a chance to say goodbye, but he probably doesn't want all the attention.

I doubt Jeter would say anything until after the season, he won't do a farewell tour like Mo and Chipper. He'll probably just have a press conference after the season and say he's done, or he'll do what Andy did and let everybody know before the last homestand. At least Andy came out and said it before the season was over. Who knows, I'm still questioning whether Derek's ankle is ever going to be healthy enough to even let him come back next year, he might be done already.

Time to go sit in my lab for 4 hours and try not to kill myself with a plastic kitchen knife because god forbid they give us a scalpel to dissect animals.

Yeah Mo came back at 43 after tearing his ACL, I feel like Derek almost has an obligation to play out his contract as long as he's healthy but at the same time, it's gonna be hard to play SS on a daily basis.

And yes, tard college. Thank god I'm graduating and going to a real school in January.

Yeah, and unfortunately A-Rod is gonna feel that same "obligation" to collect all the money he possibly can, otherwise Jeter could move to 3rd, which he'd never do anyway cause he's stubbornly proud.

So I saw. You are going to be uncomfortably close to me. Please graduate quickly and go away lol

A-Rod is a scumbag, I wish he'd just go away but it'll never happen, and no way is Jeter ever moving to 3rd even though he could follow in Ripken's footsteps. I don't Jeter's situation is at all relevant to what happens with A-Rod though, I think Jeter has one more season in him and that's only if he can come back healthy. As much as I love him, and as much as he's done for the franchise, I almost don't want him back if he's hurting the team. Hurting the team is also a relative term though, how much more damage can a 40 year old shortstop with a gimpy leg do to a team that could lose 90 games anyway?

And yeah, we'll practically be neighbors for two years lol.

Like I said, the Yankees can never rebuild because of what they've become because they can't allow themselves to ever be bad enough to get good draft picks anymore. Gonna be screwed for 5+ years going forward. Best thing to hope for is if Jeter can go out like Helton just did.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't invite you over lol. Must say it's a pleasant surprise to see you actually doing something with your life though. Get out of that house.

Yeah it's gonna be a long few years as Yankees fans. One thing it should do is drive ticket prices down, because even if they go out and spend money two or three offseasons from now, they can't just jack up the prices and expect people to pay to see a product that hasn't proven anything, so with any luck they'll be a championship caliber team in a few years and it'll be cheap enough to see them make a run at the World Series before prices go through the roof again. Also, I'm just now seeing Helton's homer in his last game at Coors. It gets lost in all the Mariano stuff and people don't realize it because he's played on a bad team every year of his career except that one year where they got swept in the WS by Boston, but he's had a great career. It's a shame he never won a championship.

Yeah who thought I'd stay in school long enough to get a degree? I figured I'd go for a semester or two and get bored, but when I switched majors to Criminal Justice it got interesting enough to make me want to finish it. Two more years.

Prices won't go down much if at all. We're still talking about the Yankees, and New York sports in general. Yeah you can say that about a lot of players unfortunately.

I never thought you'd go to school in the first place, what with your love for middle/high school, but then again there were times my family thought I wouldn't make it out of high school and I'm a college graduate myself, and it wasn't even a tard college! Granted it was just undergrad, and it took forever, but I'd go back if I could figure out what the hell I wanted to do with my life.

Eh, secondary market prices weren't too bad this year and that's with them playing meaningful games until last night. I could've gotten a field seat in 132 for 30 bucks last night but I wasn't quick enough and somebody bought it. Still, 50 bucks to be there AND have field seats in the front row wasn't bad at all compared to what I paid for Sunday. I can live with 50 bucks for field seats, but I'll probably only go next year if it's the Subway Series and even then I'd almost rather go to Citi for that, or if the Dodgers are in town and my friend wants to go because he's a Dodgers fan.

Mazel Tov, you finally finished your degree. Your problem was always that your family essentially forced you to go and made you study business, which was always a waste of time because you never wanted the family business anyway. My problem was that I was lazy and hated school, and I still have no idea what I'm gonna do with my life. I thought about law school for 5 minutes thanks to broken nose guy trying to convince me to do it after he himself decided he hates the law, but I can't deal with 3 years of hating my life and 200k in loans.

I really never use the secondary market because I have my 20 game plan and thats usually all I do. It's overpriced, but I deal with it, and I have my perks even though they're not plan perks, just perks of knowing people I've met along the way, but thats fine by me. I'm probably going to do a 15 game plan at Citi next year too with all the people I met through Darren this year.

I appreciate the Jewish congratulations. Yeah, I finished in May. It wasn't that they forced me to study business, but I never knew what I wanted to do and figured business was general enough to be applicable to anything, since everything is essentially business. When I transferred to Fordham they only offered business in the Bronx so I switched to Economics, which screwed me up because the math was harder, but once again my logic was that everything has to deal with money and economics, so it made sense. I ended up with an Economics major and a Business Administration minor that I practically fell into without even trying. I'm still working with the family, but there's a very minor outside chance I might actually change my job within the next year. I won't hold my breath though. I had a professor try to convince me to do law. He's an ADA in criminal court downtown and I took a few classes with him, but I don't think I could handle the work load. 200k in loans is nuts. How much are you in for with what you're doing now? And don't kid yourself, you can totally deal with 3 years of hating your life, you've already been doing that for 27 years, so whats another 3?