Ebay 2.0

JeffB

So this guy lives 5 min. away from me and I just emailed him and asked him if I can stop by and check the jersey out. Can someone point out some of the key items that I should check for on this jersey. I know that Gretzky did not wear a 56. Also the fight strap is seen to gray twill, is that the correct twill colore and what color stitching should be on the elbow pads? The reason I want to know all this is if the jersey is real I would like to put an offer on it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300690306320

Have added that Gold/Purple jersey to my Watch List. Not interested in bidding. Just want to take a look at all the activity. Probably won't be very much until the early hours of Easter Sunday, and then in the final minutes and seconds before the auction closes. Who will get the final bid in before time runs out? Reminds me a bit of those classic car auctions where the price goes well beyond the current market value when two bidders really, really want the same thing.

So this guy lives 5 min. away from me and I just emailed him and asked him if I can stop by and check the jersey out. Can someone point out some of the key items that I should check for on this jersey. I know that Gretzky did not wear a 56. Also the fight strap is seen to gray twill, is that the correct twill colore and what color stitching should be on the elbow pads? The reason I want to know all this is if the jersey is real I would like to put an offer on it.

Check this post by chow_hound for a good run down of the issues with the faked BK authentic Gretzky that show it's an altered replica. Also comparing it to the Granato BK gamer at MeiGray most of the differences stand out, especially with the customization.

...and he was right to hold onto it because that jersey is going to end north of 350....I could see it ending somewhere between 400 and 500.

Which is crazyness considering I got this one for $188 as well as this one for $187 recently, and the Maska is much more rare than the CCMs.

It'll be interesting to see how high it goes.

Check this post by chow_hound for a good run down of the issues with the faked BK authentic Gretzky that show it's an altered replica. Also comparing it to the Granato BK gamer at MeiGray most of the differences stand out, especially with the customization.

Sounds good, I already spoke with him and I will be meeting up with him on Wendsday.

You will need the proper ultrafil material for a nameplate.

I have proper material if anyone here wins it.

As far as the BK, I messaged the seller asking to see pics of the under-arm gussets....that'll solve things quick, yo!

Which is crazyness considering I got this one for $188 as well as this one for $187 recently, and the Maska is much more rare than the CCMs.

It'll be interesting to see how high it goes.

Agreed, it is crazy. For some reason jersey prices are skyrocketing again. Rare jerseys were going for steals for a while, but I've seen some ridiculous eBay sales pop up on here lately. It's already higher than it should be.

As far as the BK, I messaged the seller asking to see pics of the under-arm gussets....that'll solve things quick, yo!

He'll probably show you pictures of his Dafoe "gamer" instead of the Gretzky jersey.

:thumbsup:

guy has some nice stuff but Vinnie never wore #7

i've dealt with Chris before and never had a problem but i sent him a message and asked why the #7.

his reply was:

Dear lakotta,

You know what

I borrowed this picture from the Internet

I can't remember what number is on mine

67cupchamps

not sure if i agree on that decision but it's not my stuff.

:unsure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tampa-Bay-Lightning-Alternate-Vinny-Lecavalier-Authentic-Hockey-Jersey-/300690816206?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item460291bcce

guy has some nice stuff but Vinnie never wore #7

i've dealt with Chris before and never had a problem but i sent him a message and asked why the #7.

his reply was:

Dear lakotta,

You know what

I borrowed this picture from the Internet

I can't remember what number is on mine

67cupchamps

not sure if i agree on that decision but it's not my stuff.

:unsure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tampa-Bay-Lightning-Alternate-Vinny-Lecavalier-Authentic-Hockey-Jersey-/300690816206?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item460291bcce

Wow, that's pretty bad. So he gets a picture of a different jersey than the one he's actually selling. Doesn't he think it's gonna be a problem when the buyer gets a jersey that's not #7? Is he that dumb, or does he think people are that dumb?

The reason he did not sell it to me is because someone else was emailing him as well. He originally wanted $175 for it then he emailed me back and told me someone beat me to it. I then told him that I will pay $250 for it and he keept on going back in fort about it not being fair for the other guy. So then he said I'm not selling it to anyone and you guys can bid for it.

Look as a seller if someone offers me more that's who I'm going to sell it too. Also I asked him for a price he could have said someone already offered me money for it.

Sounds like he was playing you guys all along and know there will be a bidding war. Now we'll see who has the deepest pockets. :P

Wow, that's pretty bad. So he gets a picture of a different jersey than the one he's actually selling. Doesn't he think it's gonna be a problem when the buyer gets a jersey that's not #7? Is he that dumb, or does he think people are that dumb?

:glare:

the dumb one is the person that doesn't ask the question and has no knowledge of what they're buying.

not to mention doing a little homework on what # the player wears! :D

i never knew for instance that Dino Ciccarelli wore #21 when he played for the Lightning before he switched to #22.. thanx to a search on ebay and looking at his cards, there it was!

I sold this guy my jersey, and here he is trying to sell it on ebay for 3x the price. I'm definitely skeptical about jerseycentral members now. I'll never give them the same prices I give IJ members.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220986613049&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1180

ironically he has it listed for about 3 times the value... so you did a good job if you ask me

I sold this guy my jersey, and here he is trying to sell it on ebay for 3x the price. I'm definitely skeptical about jerseycentral members now. I'll never give them the same prices I give IJ members.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220986613049&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1180

I cannot speak to this particular transaction, but I have had some good experiences buying stuff, and selling a few things, to CityofWinners.

Sadly the same thing has happened to atleast two other people I know (me being one of them). If I sell things to other collectors, I normally give them a break as I assume it is something they want for their collection. Having someone haggle on already low "collectors discount" prices then turn around and flip them is a bit insulting.

I dunno, I sold him a pile of stuff knowing exactly what he was going to do with it. He didn't exactly try to hide it. Doesn't bother me a bit because we came to an agreed upon price. It was good for me and then it became his and then he sold it. It is a bit disrespectful if it's not clear like that luciano guy when he hounds you, but Cityofwinners has been pretty reasonable with me and honest. He basically bought 8 jerseys from me and kept a couple and sold the rest. It essentially offsets much of the purchases for his collection he made from me by selling the other stuff and I don't mind at all.

I have also sold to another guy on here and we help each other out from time to time. He straight up told me he was going to resell after he got three jerseys off of me on eBay.de for dirt cheap. Again, I agreed to sell so he can do what he wants with them. More power to him if he can make more money than I did.

This sort of thing is why it is important to be patient if you can while selling your things or at least be flexible and not get upset. I just hope you didn't lose money on it.

So this guy lives 5 min. away from me and I just emailed him and asked him if I can stop by and check the jersey out.

This was the reply I received -

"Hi there. Yes absolutely. Im out of town for a week but as soon as i get back. I will add the scans. Thanks for checking it out. Regards"

I dunno, I sold him a pile of stuff knowing exactly what he was going to do with it. He didn't exactly try to hide it. Doesn't bother me a bit because we came to an agreed upon price. It was good for me and then it became his and then he sold it. It is a bit disrespectful if it's not clear like that luciano guy when he hounds you, but Cityofwinners has been pretty reasonable with me and honest. He basically bought 8 jerseys from me and kept a couple and sold the rest. It essentially offsets much of the purchases for his collection he made from me by selling the other stuff and I don't mind at all.

I have also sold to another guy on here and we help each other out from time to time. He straight up told me he was going to resell after he got three jerseys off of me on eBay.de for dirt cheap. Again, I agreed to sell so he can do what he wants with them. More power to him if he can make more money than I did.

This sort of thing is why it is important to be patient if you can while selling your things or at least be flexible and not get upset. I just hope you didn't lose money on it.

I think your situation is different if you got the price that you wanted. It sounds like in other cases, the buyer might have been hounding the seller and wanted it at a discount as well. That's not so cool if it gets flipped for a profit immediately.

For argument's sake though, at what point is it ok for the buyer to sell the jersey he got for a nice deal from another board member? 6 months? A year?

If the seller won it fair and square on an open auction, then he can do whatever he wants with it. If he gets $825 for it, good for him. I doubt he'll get that though.

Everyone here has an eBay account - it's where we all buy most of our jerseys. Yet many of us prefer to sell items here or on JC first to other collectors, before putting them up on eBay. I think poaching these collector sites to flip jerseys for a profit knowing the sellers also have an opportunity sell them on eBay is shady. Personally I won't ever sell to the person in question knowing he preys on fellow collectors to make money.