Sign in to follow this  
Brilliant!

Spammers galore

Is there anything we can do about the onslaught of spammers that hit our boards? It seems like every day I'm deleting posts and disabling users posting abilities. I know this sounds a little like a dictatorship, but would it be possible to restrict new users in any way to prevent this from happening?

I feel your pain Brilliant, I have done the same thing to many posts recently as well.

I am noticing a lot of stuff every day when I check in. It's crazy.

I'm getting rid of a few posts each day myself.

I've also noticed a pattern in the spammers registrations. Their "Favorite Team" and "Favorite Jersey" always matches their user name and their "Favorite Player" is a location.

Sometimes I look at the "Members" and sort them by "join date" in "descending order". Then I look at all the new members and open their profile and if I see that pattern, I disable their posting ability even before they've had a chance to validate.

If someone had the time to look at each members registration before they were allowed to post, recognize this pattern with their profile info and not approve their registration so they could post, it would probably eliminate 99% of the spam.

I'd hate to think of what would happen to this board if we weren't deleting the spam. We'd have 100 for every real topic.

I delete posts and suspend between two and five spammers a day. I'm up all night, so I see plenty of these. :ninja:

I know this frustrates you all. What is being done with the spammers, besides the suspending and deleting? Are their IP's getting blocked or what? They keep returning under different names and usually with a smily face on the 'post icon'.

You make a good point actually. I'm going to start IP banning them instead of just disabling their posting.

Wouldnt adding a captcha at signup stop most of this spam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Of course I'm assuming there isnt already one. Can't really remeber since I've signed up to so many forums.

Just read on the Invision forums that the newer 2.2 version of this forum software has an upgraded captcha system that is supposed to be stronger. If you already have this in place it might be a good idea to grab the latest update.

Good Luck

Wouldnt adding a captcha at signup stop most of this spam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Of course I'm assuming there isnt already one. Can't really remeber since I've signed up to so many forums.

Just read on the Invision forums that the newer 2.2 version of this forum software has an upgraded captcha system that is supposed to be stronger. If you already have this in place it might be a good idea to grab the latest update.

Good Luck

We do have a Captcha at signup (implemented about a month ago), however it hasn't seemed to do too much to prevent the spam. We also require that users validate their signup by responding to an automated e-mail at signup. The next step would be manual approval of new signups by a mod, however I really don't want to go that route, as it may hurt valid users from making a first post when they first join, due to a possible lag for approval. I don't want to risk losing a new community member who wants to join the discussion spontaneously. i will look into version 2.2 and see what it offers. Anyone who has more experience with board management than I do (which may be many of you), is welcome to offer solutions to this issue.

Well, I'll be keeping my eyes open every minute I'm on these boards and I know that the rest of the team is doing the same thing so these guys won't last long most times.

So, what happened to all the spam around here anyway? I haven't had to zap any for days.

I haven't seen anything either. That's a good thing you know! Let's keep it up.

I guess the update to the newest version of the board worked for getting rid of the spam, definitely a good thing.

I guess the update to the newest version of the board worked for getting rid of the spam, definitely a good thing.

Yes - the new version had some more advanced features, which seem to be doing the trick thankfully!

Hi

I am new to this forum and love it so far. I have already PM'd a couple members with no problem, but the last couple days, I've been pressing the 'e-mail' icon for specific members because I want to ask for their knowledge on Gretzky jerseys (based on their posts and profile info), and a window pops up saying I do not have authorization for this action.

Likewise, I am sometimes getting "You have reached the maximum number of e-mails for today', even though I haven't sent any.

I can't even send anything to a mod by e-mail, so I'm hoping this post will be seen by one of them so they can help me out.

This started after I sent a message to the second member I e-mailed. Is it because I put my e-mail address in the message? I got an e-mail in my hotmail saying I have to confirm my address so spamming doesn't happen. I did that, but I'm still not able to send any messages on this forum, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome!

I'm from KW area myself too!

Post a Topic Thread if possible in the NHL channel instead. We all love talking about Gretzky jerseys I'm sure. No need to keep the questions in private. More people who chime in with advice the better right?