Overtime Rule

I was reading a NHL Blog today about NHL rule 84.2:

"It is possible that a team might pull its goalie for an extra attacker during a tie game to avoid a shootout, although there is risk involved in doing that in overtime because according to Rule 84.2, if a team is scored upon, it forfeits its guaranteed point."

I never knew this! Very interesting I haven't seen it happen yet. Any one ever heard of this or seen it in a game?

Ya. weird.

Crazy! its like raising the stakes.

I'm all in! Pull Thomas! :)

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team. Should the goalkeeper proceed to his bench for an extra attacker due to a delayed penalty call against the opposing team, and should the non-offending team shoot the puck directly into their own goal, the game shall be over and the team that was to be penalized declared the winner.

Once the goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker in overtime during the regular-season, he must wait for the next stoppage of play before returning to his position. He cannot change “on the fly.” If he does, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed for having an ineligible player.

I remember them talking specifically about this rule a few years back when they went to the shootout format. This is to deter teams from simply "going for it" in Overtime.

I remember them talking specifically about this rule a few years back when they went to the shootout format. This is to deter teams from simply "going for it" in Overtime.

That is the DUMBEST point ever. I hate sitting through a snoozefest just to get to the much hated shoot out. If a team wants to go balls out to win, REWARD them. They should get double loser points for having some character.

Only the NHL would penalize teams trying to win.

The overtime rules seem a perfect example of committee design.

Seems someone wanted a better chance for a shootout, if the game went overtime.

I'd like to see three-point games and the shootout gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a NHL Blog today about NHL rule 84.2:

"It is possible that a team might pull its goalie for an extra attacker during a tie game to avoid a shootout, although there is risk involved in doing that in overtime because according to Rule 84.2, if a team is scored upon, it forfeits its guaranteed point."

I never knew this! Very interesting I haven't seen it happen yet. Any one ever heard of this or seen it in a game?

Well if you can pull your goalie in regulation for an extra attacker, then why can't you do the same in OT? Makes sense to me.

I have no problem with 5 minute OT in regular season, but IMO the shootout NEEDS TO GO AWAY. If the NHL is going to penalize teams for SO wins, then get rid of it! Go back to how it used to be - wins, losses, and ties.

I have no problem with 5 minute OT in regular season, but IMO the shootout NEEDS TO GO AWAY. If the NHL is going to penalize teams for SO wins, then get rid of it! Go back to how it used to be - wins, losses, and ties.

I agree -- no shootout, no 3-point games.

I agree -- no shootout, no 3-point games.

OT losses can still count as a point IMO. But if no team scores after the 5 minute overtime, then the game ends in a tie. Each team gets 1 point. Just how it used to be. :)