Chara - Hell To Pay.

Seeing as how no one has talked about this yet! :check:

Hell with the cops and Harper! The sponsors are pissed! OMG!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebec-prosecutor-asks-police-investigate-chara-hit-pacioretty-20110310-061154-460.html

Discuss.

He did nothing wrong. PERIOD.

I heard this discussed on AM640 this morning in Toronto.

Some lawyer in Montreal actually made a case that Chara should be criminally charged.

Ridiculous.

Getting the police involved is too far. However, the fact that a player is missing time due to a concussion AND a broken vertebrae is flat out sad, especially since the player is only 22. Chara should have been suspended a game or 2. This hit was much more violent than Gillies hit on Clutterbuck, which got 10 games (Gillies just getting back from a suspension didn't help, but not opening the can of worms again), but only violent due to Chara's height...regardless of how hard Chara hits someone, it is going to hurt.

Pacioretty is absolutely correct in saying that nobody knows what will yield a suspension. Players' safety is now in serious danger and it is time for the NHL to wake up.

Getting the police involved is too far. However, the fact that a player is missing time due to a concussion AND a broken vertebrae is flat out sad, especially since the player is only 22. Chara should have been suspended a game or 2. This hit was much more violent than Gillies hit on Clutterbuck, which got 10 games (Gillies just getting back from a suspension didn't help, but not opening the can of worms again), but only violent due to Chara's height...regardless of how hard Chara hits someone, it is going to hurt.

Pacioretty is absolutely correct in saying that nobody knows what will yield a suspension. Players' safety is now in serious danger and it is time for the NHL to wake up.

The difference between the Chara hit and the Gillies hit is that the Chara hit was legal. They were both going for the puck, Chara tried to angle him into the boards and the way he hit him and where the hit took place is the reason for the severity of the injure. The Gillies hit was, I believe, after the whistle and absolutely with the intent to injury. Injury or not, you can't just suspend someone for a clean hit while the clock is running, even though the NFL seems to think it's ok.

As far as a criminal investigation goes, how could they possibly arrest Chara? What would they charge him with? I don't understand how the cops can get involved in this. It took place during a full contact sporting event. You assume the risk of being injury by playing. This is absurd.

The difference between the Chara hit and the Gillies hit is that the Chara hit was legal. They were both going for the puck, Chara tried to angle him into the boards and the way he hit him and where the hit took place is the reason for the severity of the injury. The Gillies hit was, I believe, after the whistle and absolutely with the intent to injury. Injury or not, you can't just suspend someone for a clean hit while the clock is running, even though the NFL seems to think it's ok.

As far as a criminal investigation goes, how could they possibly arrest Chara? What would they charge him with? I don't understand how the cops can get involved in this. It took place during a full contact sporting event. You assume the risk of being injury by playing. This is absurd.

Whistle never was blown on the Gillies hit (and was in response to a questionable hit on Dibenedetto). End of Gillies talk

I would love to see Chara file a discrimination lawsuit, saying they hate tall people.

The fact that Chara is monster made the hit worse.

He's a super heavy weight and tossed Max like a rag doll.

I think the front/forward angle is the best and it looks like Chara checked him hard enough to lift him up but it's due to his height.

The cops can't and wont do anything. Smoke and Mirrors on the NHL's part IMO.

Trying to get the law involved is way over stepping the bounds and unwritten rules of hockey. You know the risks going in.

As for the hit itself, it was brutal, but it seems to have been generally just a hockey play. It did seem as though Chara used his arm to guide Pac's head into the turnbuckle but given his height it's tough for his arm not to be at head height. I don't believe there was a suspension necessary on this hit, but I am by no means an advocate of the NHL's discipline policy. They (Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell) have turned the NHL into a hypocritical joke where so called 'star' players can get away with murder. I'm going to stop now because if I get onto a Gary Bettman rant (I hate literally nobody on this earth more than him) I will start punching holes in walls.

Whistle never was blown on the Gillies hit (and was in response to a questionable hit on Dibenedetto). End of Gillies talk

I would love to see Chara file a discrimination lawsuit, saying they hate tall people.

I didn't see the game, my friend was there and was actually directly behind the glass where the hit took place. All I saw was the 50,000 replays on SportsCenter and On The Fly. Whistle or not, it was a bad hit to follow up another bad hit. Two wrongs don't make a right, and Gillies should've known better in his first game back from a suspension for that exact type of hit.

I think the NHL needs to adapt it's discipline policies to something similar to what MLB does with steroid users. First offense is a 50 game suspension, I think the second offense is a full season ban and the third positive test gets you kicked out of baseball for life. The same should go for blatant headshots in hockey. As much as I like the hard hitting in the game, there's no place for dirty players who TRY to hurt people. Taking your man out of the play or being an enforcer is one thing. Looking to end someone's career is entirely different and there's no place for it in hockey. Trevor Gillies or anyone else.

As far as Chara goes, I'd also love to see him file a discrimination lawsuit. But this has nothing to do with the NHL, this is all Montreal and the country of Canada. Surprised nobody's mentioned that Air Canada threatened to pull sponsorship if some kind of action wasn't taken. Ridiculous.

What you talking about Willis?

The police investigation. As far as I can gather from the article, the NHL has nothing to do with said investigation. It's entirely the city of Montreal and that Louis Dionne fool.

The police investigation. As far as I can gather from the article, the NHL has nothing to do with said investigation. It's entirely the city of Montreal and that Louis Dionne fool.

But you couldn't say all of Canada though.

i think the league looks at suspension at the intent to injure. intent is subjective and you never know what is going through someones head at the time, but my hunch is the NHL felt that Chara's intent wasn't to do harm on the guy he hit. Gillies more than likely wanted Clutterbuck to get hurt and hence why the NHL gave him another suspension.

NHL and suspensions are like highschool politics too. Chara comes off as a nice guy, plays clean and hasn't had any issues. He has one vicious hit but because of his clean record, he doesn't get in trouble.

Gillies, Bertuzzi, etc etc who are labeled as "cheap" or "dirty" players have a history of going to the principals office and when they get the spotlight on them for something vicious, they get the hammer brought down.

If Bertuzzi got suspended for his hit why shouldn't Chara be suspended? Moore and Pacioretty both suffered serious injuries.

Because Bertuzzi was suspended for what, an entire season, for deliberately trying to literally take a guy's head off? He sucker punched a guy in the side of the head from behind. I also seem to remember a cross-checking incident, but I could be mistaken. Repeat offenders deserve more severe punishment. Chara does not.

Actually the more I look at it, I think there was some intent. He definitely leans into the hit with his arm/elbow. Nobody plays with the intent to injure (except Simon on Holleweg), but stuff happens. Chara could have easily prevented it.

Anyone remember this?

Then:

I still think it should have been a one or two gamer

I still think it should have been a one or two gamer

The law shouldn't be involved with Chara. However like NYIJM29 said Chara should be suspended for a few games.

Why didnt he get the one game suspension for having three game misconducts this year. That was his third. First one against the habs in january, second against Dallas in early feb then this one that's 3 and rule 23.3 says you get 3 you sit 1... Am I missing something?

23.3 Fines and Suspensions – General Category - In regular League games, any player who incurs a total of three (3) game misconduct penalties in the “General Category” and exclusive of other designated categories, shall be suspended for the next League game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty, the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game. For each suspension of a player or goalkeeper, his Club shall be fined one thousand dollars ($1,000).

In Playoff games, any player who incurs a total of two game misconduct penalties in the “General Category” shall be suspended automatically for the next Playoff game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty during the Playoffs, the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game. For each suspension of a player during Playoffs, his club shall be fined one thousand dollars ($1,000).

I don't know what this "General Category" means but I'm guessing his misconduct wasn't in that category.

General Catagory:

(i) Charging

Rule 42

(ii) Clipping

Rule 44

(iii) Elbowing

Rule 45

(iv) Fighting off the playing surface

Rule 46

(v) Head-butting

Rule 47

(vi) Inciting an opponent into incurring a penalty

Rule 75

(vii) Interference

Rule 56

(viii) Intervening in an altercation

Rule 46

(ix) Kneeing

Rule 50

(x) Not properly tied down during an altercation

Rule 46

(xi) Obscene language or gestures

Rule 39

Rule 75

(xii) Persists in continuing an altercation

Rule 46

(xiii) Removing jersey prior to an altercation

Rule 46

(xiv) Resisting a Linesman in the discharge of his duties

Rule 39

(xv) Secondary altercation

Rule 46

(xvi) Third major penalty in a game

Rule 20

(xvii) Throwing stick outside the playing area

Chara was given an interference game misconduct. I think this needs better explanation.

Chara was given an interference game misconduct. I think this needs better explanation.

In all my years of watching hockey both before the lockout and as of a few years ago when I started watching again, that was the first time I've ever seen a game misconduct for interference. I didn't even know that was possible. If that's the rule, then yeah, he should get the one game suspension. I still think the hit was legal.

I don't know how you could think the hit was legal. It was 20ft from the puck and would be an interference call in any game, injury or not. But if you mean not suspension worthy that make more sense.