Chara - Hell To Pay.

I don't know how you could think the hit was legal. It was 20ft from the puck and would be an interference call in any game, injury or not. But if you mean not suspension worthy that make more sense.

Yeah, not suspension worthy would be more accurate. The only reason an injury occurred was because of where the hit took place. Does anyone else get the feeling that if Chara played for the Habs and he almost killed somebody (as unintentional as it was), the cops wouldn't even consider getting involved? There was a small article in the NY Daily News today, where Pacioretty was quoted as saying he doesn't want to see Chara prosecuted and that "what happened was part of a hokey game".

Even the player with the injury thinks this is absurd.

The NHL usually determines suspensions based on the injury outcome, so Chara should have been expected to be suspended for sending someone to the hospital on an illegal play. Last year Ovechkin got 2 games because some ginger fairy on the Blackhawks couldn't take a hit and the Blackhawks blew his injury out of proportion. Chara would be looking at a suspension if he wasn't the captain of the team that traded for Colin Campbell's pathetic joke of a son.

Taking that stuff to the court is the residual effect thanks to that scumbag Steve Moore.

Here's my $.02 on the whole thing. Did Chara intentionally mean to injure the guy that badly? I don't think so. However, he was committing a penalty to begin with and I'm sure he knew he was. Secondly, he has played in that barn God knows how many times and he knew exactly where he was and what he was doing when he started pushing the guy towards the bench. I believe that he intended to take the guy out of the play and use that section of the boards to do so. He has shown little remorse for what he did and even said Pacioretty jumped into his check. I think it would be a different story if he said he felt bad and was sorry. On the other hand I also believe that this is a result of Chara's sheer size. I doubt was would even be having this discussion if Chara wasn't so dang tall.

For the record, if I was ever going to toss a kid in a game I was reffing for a vicious hit, I am not putting interference on the scoresheet.

The fact that you could get a game misconduct or major for interference is baffling. Interference is an obstruction type call. If someone interferes enough to get ejected or suspended, it's most likely going to be a roughing call, as there had to have been unnecessary roughness involved.

If the ref thought it was bad, they would have called it a roughing penalty and denoted in a report that he thought there was intent to injure. Habs fans should be glad they got a 5 minute powerplay, let alone a Norris Trophy winner removed from a game for a simple interference call. It is a shame the kid got hurt, but that falls to rink location and condition, not Chara's fault.

After hearing Chara's post game interview it made me wonder.

He kept saying "The player" in refernce to Max without ever saying his name. That IMO dehumanizes the statement and makes it more clinical and less personal. In other words he is saying "Oh! I would of done the same to anyone that passed me on that side".. ya right!

I highly doubt he had no idea who he was hitting which makes me wonder if he did target Max. The fact he kept saying "The player" makes him sound even more callis and unremorseful.

After hearing Chara's post game interview it made me wonder.

He kept saying "The player" in refernce to Max without ever saying his name. That IMO dehumanizes the statement and makes it more clinical and less personal. In other words he is saying "Oh! I would of done the same to anyone that passed me on that side".. ya right!

I highly doubt he had no idea who he was hitting which makes me wonder if he did target Max. The fact he kept saying "The player" makes him sound even more callis and unremorseful.

You also have to understand English is Chara's second language. That could have played a part. Just throwing that out there

You also have to understand English is Chara's second language. That could have played a part. Just throwing that out there

True! but I Doubt it. He knows how to say Max....I hope anyways! :)

His English is far better then my Slovak. Which isn't saying much! LOL

It looks like all the major points have been covered here, but I feel like I should add/reiterate that this was more of a freak accident than some pre-meditated hit. The reason I say this (besides my bias) is that Milan Lucic made a hit in a similar spot (along the bench close to the turnbuckle) against Tampa Bay with no harm done. It's just too bad that Chara tried to get Pacioretty off his line in that dangerous spot because virtually anywhere else on the ice (even 10 feet back along the bench), that type of hit would have been simple interference.

As for nogoal's question, this is his first actual game misconduct penalty of the season, with the two coming against Dallas and Montreal being 10-minute misconduct penalties.

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).

56.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26348

The NHL usually determines suspensions based on the injury outcome, so Chara should have been expected to be suspended for sending someone to the hospital on an illegal play. Last year Ovechkin got 2 games because some ginger fairy on the Blackhawks couldn't take a hit and the Blackhawks blew his injury out of proportion. Chara would be looking at a suspension if he wasn't the captain of the team that traded for Colin Campbell's pathetic joke of a son.

Taking that stuff to the court is the residual effect thanks to that scumbag Steve Moore.

I agree with everything in this post on some degree. Except on a personal level, I feel like suspensions should be based on the infraction itself and not the outcome of said infraction.

If Bertuzzi got suspended for his hit why shouldn't Chara be suspended? Moore and Pacioretty both suffered serious injuries.

This is such an unbelievably ridiculous comment. Please tell me you can see the difference between a sucker punch to the back of the head and a late hit. Personally I feel like the hit has plenty of intent in that Chara knew where the stanchion is and knew exactly what he was trying to do. That said, the hit Chara laid was still a hell of a lot more of a hockey play than Bertuzzi's sucker punch will ever be.

I agree with everything in this post on some degree. Except on a personal level, I feel like suspensions should be based on the infraction itself and not the outcome of said infraction.

This is such an unbelievably ridiculous comment. Please tell me you can see the difference between a sucker punch to the back of the head and a late hit. Personally I feel like the hit has plenty of intent in that Chara knew where the stanchion is and knew exactly what he was trying to do. That said, the hit Chara laid was still a hell of a lot more of a hockey play than Bertuzzi's sucker punch will ever be.

You hit the nail on the head with your first statement. Anyone who takes into account the injury sustained is a MORON. You don't penalize results, you penalize the ACTION itself. If the action was illegal, and the player doesn't get hurt, that should not affect the suspension.

Also, Bertuzzi didn't cause the serious injury directly, it was when 600+ lbs of other players jumped on his back. I am not condoning what Bertuzzi did, but to still condemn him as much as we do, he sucker punched a guy, that happens quite a bit in the NHL, Bertuzzi's sucker punch was no worse than any other when you consider the action.

Also, Bertuzzi didn't cause the serious injury directly, it was when 600+ lbs of other players jumped on his back. I am not condoning what Bertuzzi did, but to still condemn him as much as we do, he sucker punched a guy, that happens quite a bit in the NHL, Bertuzzi's sucker punch was no worse than any other when you consider the action.

It wasn't the sucker punch, but slamming Moore's face into the ice, fracturing his jaw, and injuring his neck, that was the real problem from Bertuzzi. That's why he had to face criminal charges. At least that's what I got from Bernstein's book.

It wasn't the sucker punch, but slamming Moore's face into the ice, fracturing his jaw, and injuring his neck, that was the real problem from Bertuzzi. That's why he had to face criminal charges. At least that's what I got from Bernstein's book.

Now what I am saying is the fractured vertabrae was most likely caused by a couple people jumping on the pile once Bertuzzi and Moore were on the ice. I am not defending what he did in any way, just saying that the guy isn't solely responsible for the injuries sustained.

Now what I am saying is the fractured vertabrae was most likely caused by a couple people jumping on the pile once Bertuzzi and Moore were on the ice. I am not defending what he did in any way, just saying that the guy isn't solely responsible for the injuries sustained.

Awful hard to say for sure, but I'd be inclined to blame Bertuzzi. I looked at the video yesterday, and watched the takedown -- it was brutal. You can see the movement of Moore's neck, as his face was slammed into the ice. I'd have to believe that's what fractured the cervical (neck) vertebrae. Moore looked pretty well flattened by the time the piling on started, and that looked a little further down his back.