Sign in to follow this  
Thelonious Sphere Monk

Question about Gretzky Nike Oilers jerseys

Nice looking jersey, why the fags though?

Thanks for posting the pics. (And sorry if my previous post sounded a bit snarky.)

Many of the details I wanted to see were unfortunately not very sharp in the pictures, so I am not at all certain of this, but it’s my impression that this jersey is a replica, and not likely an original team-issued Nike from the 1987/88 season.  The stitching outlines on the front crest seem more uniform than normal, and the crest itself does not look as wrinkled as one would usually see on a 1980’s original.  There is no Nike size tag in the collar, and no 1987/88 notation written in the neck area, as might normally be expected.  1987/88’s usually had snap fight straps sewn over the loop strap as well.

I suppose the next questions would be how you obtained the jersey, and if any claim to authenticity was made by the seller.  This is, of course, assuming that you wish to discuss it.

Bought many many years ago. Will dig up emails. No claim to authenticity and always wondered about the 2. As far as a replica I would be shocked. The effort needed would be immense and to only make a few? Everything about the jersey is unique from mesh, screen print, embroidery, strap style. Wouldnt be easy to put all materials together. Will Take more pics. I am intrigued as I have not looked at my shirts in a decade 

I could be wrong about your jersey(s).  Apart from the Nike gameworns and the team-issued ones that were relettered with star player names and numbers, there were also quite a few unofficial replicas made much later on, which look a lot like the originals, with respect to both the jersey materials and the lettering kits.  I have a replica Kurri, which you can see here:

https://flic.kr/p/WcT1Rj

https://flic.kr/p/WNfQtT

Would love to see more pics of yours, especially closeups of the crest and Nike hem logo. 

Wow it's been a long time  

They are a keener replica (fake) 

Looking back the eBay description was rather deceiving and private bidding was suspect

Still grail status for me. Live and learn 

On 2018-04-08 at 1:00 PM, Automorph said:

Yessir! Yours is certainly a legit re-issue. I’ve got one myself. I’m curious to know how many of them were made....

On 4/9/2018 at 8:16 PM, Automorph said:

Wow it's been a long time  

They are a keener replica (fake) 

Looking back the eBay description was rather deceiving and private bidding was suspect

Still grail status for me. Live and learn 

Indeed. I remember this thread for years ago when I lost out on a Nike Ultrafil replica. I too ended up buying a Keener special because I know I would never be able to afford and actual Oilers Nike from that era. It's the only fake in my collection but I bought through Keener directly and got a decent deal. I still love the jersey and hang it on my jersey wall from time to time. It's still a beautiful jersey :)