Question about Gretzky Nike Oilers jerseys

Thelonious Sphere Monk

Thanks for posting the pics. (And sorry if my previous post sounded a bit snarky.)

Many of the details I wanted to see were unfortunately not very sharp in the pictures, so I am not at all certain of this, but it’s my impression that this jersey is a replica, and not likely an original team-issued Nike from the 1987/88 season.  The stitching outlines on the front crest seem more uniform than normal, and the crest itself does not look as wrinkled as one would usually see on a 1980’s original.  There is no Nike size tag in the collar, and no 1987/88 notation written in the neck area, as might normally be expected.  1987/88’s usually had snap fight straps sewn over the loop strap as well.

I suppose the next questions would be how you obtained the jersey, and if any claim to authenticity was made by the seller.  This is, of course, assuming that you wish to discuss it.

Bought many many years ago. Will dig up emails. No claim to authenticity and always wondered about the 2. As far as a replica I would be shocked. The effort needed would be immense and to only make a few? Everything about the jersey is unique from mesh, screen print, embroidery, strap style. Wouldnt be easy to put all materials together. Will Take more pics. I am intrigued as I have not looked at my shirts in a decade 

I could be wrong about your jersey(s).  Apart from the Nike gameworns and the team-issued ones that were relettered with star player names and numbers, there were also quite a few unofficial replicas made much later on, which look a lot like the originals, with respect to both the jersey materials and the lettering kits.  I have a replica Kurri, which you can see here:

https://flic.kr/p/WcT1Rj

https://flic.kr/p/WNfQtT

Would love to see more pics of yours, especially closeups of the crest and Nike hem logo. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2018 at 8:16 PM, Automorph said:

Wow it's been a long time  

They are a keener replica (fake) 

Looking back the eBay description was rather deceiving and private bidding was suspect

Still grail status for me. Live and learn 

Indeed. I remember this thread for years ago when I lost out on a Nike Ultrafil replica. I too ended up buying a Keener special because I know I would never be able to afford and actual Oilers Nike from that era. It's the only fake in my collection but I bought through Keener directly and got a decent deal. I still love the jersey and hang it on my jersey wall from time to time. It's still a beautiful jersey :)

• 4 months later...

How legit is this one?  I think the crest is flight satin and the patch and the Nike screen print on the right hem date it to 82-83.  Is this the real deal or a good reproduction? @LAK74 I'm sorta hoping to hear what you have to say about it. Thx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-99-1982-83-Edmonton-OILERS-Universiade-Authentic-NIKE-Pro-Jersey/273591514400?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would say that looks like one of Keener’s replicas.  The holes in the mesh seem slightly large, the crest is too clean-looking, the Universiade patch is fake, and there’s no Nike/size tag in the neck.  Very nice jersey, but I wouldn’t pay anywhere near what he’s asking for that.

Ok thanks.  I wasn't planning on getting it but I know someone who was semi-interested.  I'll definitely pass along the info.

• 3 years later...

I have collection which is known as the magnificant seven.( Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, Coffey) all signed and framed. The Nike logo on the left side as Gretzky tucked his jersery in on the right side. The jerseys were all signed at the 2003 Heritage Classic and are known as one of a kind. All of the Oilers are in the Hall of Fame. Should be going to a auction market soon.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:59 PM, LAK74 said:

I would say that looks like one of Keener’s replicas.  The holes in the mesh seem slightly large, the crest is too clean-looking, the Universiade patch is fake, and there’s no Nike/size tag in the neck.  Very nice jersey, but I wouldn’t pay anywhere near what he’s asking for that.

I may be very wrong here, but to my knowledge the 1982-83 Edmonton Nikes didn’t have size tagging in the collar. The jerseys were not manufactured by Nike. I forgot who made them, but Nike bought the company and stamped their logo on the bottom right hem on the back—much to their regret when they realized that’s the side Gretzky tucks in.

Edited by Some guy

8 hours ago, Some guy said:

I may be very wrong here, but to my knowledge the 1982-83 Edmonton Nikes didn’t have size tagging in the collar.

1982/83’s had a small white size tag in the collar; just look up any gamer from that year.