Is this a jersey foul?

redbeard3569

Went to a game tonight and saw something that made my head spin.

During "Shirt Off Our Back" night a lady won a players jersey that was absolutley peppered with blood on the front. Thing looked great with fresh drops and a few smears of blood from a fight the player had that night.

She was wearing it tonight and the thing looked like it was fresh off the hanger opening night. Turns out SHE WASHED IT! Said she didn't want a dirty, bloody, smelly jersey so she stuffed it in the wash to get all the blood out and the stick marks off.

I almost fainted and I think I threw up in my mouth a little. My heart broke a little tonight.

Had to tell the story.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if you want to wash your game worn jersey, go ahead. It's her's. If you want to get your name on your jersey with #69, go ahead. People are too concerned with what other people do to their jerseys.

I thought blood stains were very hard to remove, but I guess that is besides the point.

I contacted the New York Rangers inquiring about a game worn jersey and was told they

are all washed before being made available.

All of the Kings gamers at Staples Center smell the same, so I am guessing they were washed as well.

Yes, I was smelling the jerseys...curious if they smelt "used".

In an older post in some other thread I saw Brilliant! state NEVER wash a gamer, it made me wonder

if the teams wash them or literally sell them from off the players back.

Washing a jersey will almost NEVER take out the game wear on the jersey. That's why jerseys retain their wear after so many games. All teams wash their jerseys and even places like the MeiGray Group have their stock professionally cleaned to get the stink out but leave the game wear. Like has been said, blood is VERY hard to get out without a few washes and the stick/puck marks or board burns aren't any easier to remove. Washing it will just remove that on-ice funk and that is ALWAYS a good thing. If you've ever smelled a jersey that has come right off the ice and sat a few days, you'd be grateful to this lady for washing it! I've washed a few ones that were hot off the ice and it's never killed any wear on them. Just make sure you don't wash them too often because then you DO take the risk of taking anything out.

I picked up a Flyers gamer on ebay once that smelled like it was on display at the Golden Wok or somewhere. The dudes house must have reeked of stinky food. Had to wash it as I dry heaved every time I got a whiff of it. Hated to do it, but all of the game wear was fine after the wash and the stank was history.

Well if actual game worn sellers wash the jerseys before selling them, then no, according to that definition, it's not a jersey foul. I understand your point about the blood stains. But if you think about it, after games, players are so sweaty and smelly that the jerseys would be pretty gross. So it does make sense that teams/sellers do wash them to remove the stench/sweat. However, as Brilliant! said, it's pretty darn difficult to remove puck marks, hits, burns, etc, with just one or multiple washes.

The only way you'd be able to get blood off a jersey is upon its first contact with the material. Because the blood oxidizes when exposed to air, settles on the fabric, and becomes further oxidized. So unless you run serious cold water on it after contact, no way you'll really get it off of the jersey completely.

One really good way to get blood off a jersey (if you want to) is to use hydrogen peroxide..I have an old diagonal PITTSBURGH airknit replica I play pickup hockey in, and I once took a spill and busted my elbow up pretty bad...blood everywhere, ALL OVER the sleeve. When I got home, I poured some peroxide in a drinking glass and just dipped the sleeve in the stuff...bubbled up like CRAZY, just like it would on a cut, but all the blood came off, and did no damage whatsoever to the material or the colors. It works on other fabrics too without doing any damage. Not sure about how well it'd work with an older stain, but I'd never be afraid to try. Call me Heloise!

How hard is it to remove signatures? Specifically, gold marker on a black ultrafil jersey.

I hear the silver/gold area easier to remove than black. I got a teal ultrafil in signed in silver and the dry cleaner got it off without a hitch, even after saying he wasn't sure.

So I guess those Sean Avery jerseys with blood are not for sale.

So I guess those Sean Avery jerseys with blood are not for sale.

oh im so tempted to say something about that one....

i think the trainers use oxy clean or whatever to get the blood out

i have a vanek gamer that he wore when he had his jaw shattered. the thing had blood all over it, but i cant see even the slightest hint of it now

oh im so tempted to say something about that one....

And my response would still be: "a borderline minor leaguer managed to use psychological warfare to get into the head of your franchise player during the team's only good season! You should be proud of your 0 playoff wins, enjoy Quebec City!"

And my response would still be: "a borderline minor leaguer managed to use psychological warfare to get into the head of your franchise player during the team's only good season! You should be proud of your 0 playoff wins, enjoy Quebec City!"

to which i would reply: "suck it up buttercup. QC can go find another team to troll on. We have new owners and times are changing in the ATL. A new regime is going to begin soon and i couldnt be happier. Avery is a puss and everyone knows that. Even the refs. Welcome to losing buddy, im used to it by now but not much longer will i have to put up with this crap called ASG!"

to which i would reply: "suck it up buttercup. QC can go find another team to troll on. We have new owners and times are changing in the ATL. A new regime is going to begin soon and i couldnt be happier. Avery is a puss and everyone knows that. Even the refs. Welcome to losing buddy, im used to it by now but not much longer will i have to put up with this crap called ASG!"

I still have no idea what you talk about and I live in Atlanta. Also, I hate Avery, but what he did to Kovalchuk was amazing. Once your team starts averaging more than 70% capacity to a game I'll start considering keeping it there. Otherwise you are just hemorrhaging money, and I would be the league takes you guys over within 5 years if you don't improve. I don't know what the hell welcome to losing means anyway, the Rangers at least made the playoffs! And yeah man the All-Star Game is pure crap, no arguments here!

Sorry I'm very pissy because of finals.

the Rangers at least made the playoffs! And yeah man the All-Star Game is pure crap, no arguments here!

Sorry I'm very pissy because of finals.

Wow...5 more games than the Thrashers and Islanders...guess what...next year nobody will care or remember who did/didn't make the playoffs with the exception of the Cup winner and loser :thumbsup:

Wow...5 more games than the Thrashers and Islanders...guess what...next year nobody will care or remember who did/didn't make the playoffs with the exception of the Cup winner and loser :thumbsup:

It's statistically significant! That's what matters! Fail to disprove the fact the Rangers are better than the Thrashers or Islanders! SO HA!

It's statistically significant! That's what matters! Fail to disprove the fact the Rangers are better than the Thrashers or Islanders! SO HA!

Actually, at any reasonable alpha level, the p-value is NOT statistically significant, therefore we fail to reject the null hypothesis. In context, we are 100 % confident that the NYI and NYR are equal teams. Boom.

Ho (Null hypothesis) NYI = NYR

Ha (Alternative hypothesis) NYI < NYR

Actually, at any reasonable alpha level, the p-value is NOT statistically significant, therefore we fail to reject the null hypothesis. In context, we are 100 % confident that the NYI and NYR are equal teams. Boom.

Ho (Null hypothesis) NYI = NYR

Ha (Alternative hypothesis) NYI < NYR

You sir, will take my Statistics final.