Is this a jersey foul?

redbeard3569

Actually, at any reasonable alpha level, the p-value is NOT statistically significant, therefore we fail to reject the null hypothesis. In context, we are 100 % confident that the NYI and NYR are equal teams. Boom.

Ho (Null hypothesis) NYI = NYR

Ha (Alternative hypothesis) NYI < NYR

Don't make me run the F(&^*** numbers, but I'm pretty sure that it could be. You'd have to take the mean number of games that every team plays and we won't know that until the end of the season. We'd have to assume the population mean be 83ish games depending on how everything plays out, and I really don't feel like calculating standard error on this.

Let's revisit this at the end of the season when I have more time, it actually is pretty interesting!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't make me run the F(&^*** numbers, but I'm pretty sure that it could be. You'd have to take the mean number of games that every team plays and we won't know that until the end of the season. We'd have to assume the population mean be 83ish games depending on how everything plays out, and I really don't feel like calculating standard error on this.

Let's revisit this at the end of the season when I have more time, it actually is pretty interesting!

I don't know if we need to find the pop mean...can't we just do a 2-sample t-test between the Isles and rangers and get the sample standard deviation? I thought it was pretty much given that both teams sucked and we don't need to compare them to the NHL?

If I actually do go to class after the AP exam (I am technically excused from it) I might be doing something similar to this. Statistics is the most interesting math IMO.

I never understood the whole game jersey thing unless it was worn in a special game. What's the point in having an old, smelly jersey just sitting in your closet?

as opposed to as store bought one sitting in your closet with the tags on them? different strokes for different folks, i guess

most game worn collectors like feeling connected to their favorites player or team, and what better a way to do that than by having an actual jersey that was worn in a game? every snag, rip, stain and repair has a story to it. it's also a lot of fun to try to photo or video match a shirt. when you buy an authentic, that's it, but with a gamer, you might stumble across a photo match of your jersey years later or even match it to a video on youtube by complete chance

fwiw, most modern day jerseys that come from the team or a place like meigray dont smell. unless you're getting it off a player's back or out the back door from a trainer, everything is cleaned...and if you're buying a kings jersey, maybe even dry cleaned

I don't know if we need to find the pop mean...can't we just do a 2-sample t-test between the Isles and rangers and get the sample standard deviation? I thought it was pretty much given that both teams sucked and we don't need to compare them to the NHL?

If I actually do go to class after the AP exam (I am technically excused from it) I might be doing something similar to this. Statistics is the most interesting math IMO.

Noooo for the Rangers to be statistically significant, their 87 games would have to be far enough from the true population mean (the mean of all games teams play in a season for all seasons), thus we can treat 2010-11 as a sample of a population, would technically have to take the means of the random samples of this sample to get a normal distribution to do this. That's how we would get the standard deviation. Once my finals are over I"ll have tons of time and would definitely like to run the numbers to see if getting into the playoffs is statistically significant.

Noooo for the Rangers to be statistically significant, their 87 games would have to be far enough from the true population mean (the mean of all games teams play in a season for all seasons), thus we can treat 2010-11 as a sample of a population, would technically have to take the means of the random samples of this sample to get a normal distribution to do this. That's how we would get the standard deviation. Once my finals are over I"ll have tons of time and would definitely like to run the numbers to see if getting into the playoffs is statistically significant.

I am used to the problems and numbers being given to me...PM me when you get the jersey and when you have time after finals. I have the AP on the 11th so this is decent practice.

F(&^*** nerds. :lol:

Just xcdude...remember his posts from the other hobbies thread? :doh:

Please get back to posting your JFs

I still have no idea what you talk about and I live in Atlanta. Also, I hate Avery, but what he did to Kovalchuk was amazing. Once your team starts averaging more than 70% capacity to a game I'll start considering keeping it there. Otherwise you are just hemorrhaging money, and I would be the league takes you guys over within 5 years if you don't improve. I don't know what the hell welcome to losing means anyway, the Rangers at least made the playoffs! And yeah man the All-Star Game is pure crap, no arguments here!

Sorry I'm very pissy because of finals.

Understandable about the finals. Same here man. How am i supposed to study for something without a study guide? While yes Avery is able to get in guys heads hes still a joke of a hockey player. And come on man, living here you must know that when the product is good, people will come. Look at the islanders for god sakes. They draw worse than us and they are in New York City!!!

Understandable about the finals. Same here man. How am i supposed to study for something without a study guide? While yes Avery is able to get in guys heads hes still a joke of a hockey player. And come on man, living here you must know that when the product is good, people will come. Look at the islanders for god sakes. They draw worse than us and they are in New York City!!!

Whoa...hold your horses. LI is not part of NYC. There is no mass transit to/from the Coli, so if you want to come watch a game from NYC you either need to drive in, get a cab, or take a train to a neighboring town and take a cab from there. Also, ticket prices for the Isles walk-ups increased from 09-10 to 10-11, which is why people did not start going to games until the Isles gave out very lucrative ticket specials. At least our team has a couple of players that can be something great in the NHL. I take our core and prospects over your core and prospects any day of the week. The Thrashers should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Isles...at least we never lost a team in the first place (no offense to the Nords/Jets fans)

Whoa...hold your horses. LI is not part of NYC. There is no mass transit to/from the Coli, so if you want to come watch a game from NYC you either need to drive in, get a cab, or take a train to a neighboring town and take a cab from there. Also, ticket prices for the Isles walk-ups increased from 09-10 to 10-11, which is why people did not start going to games until the Isles gave out very lucrative ticket specials. At least our team has a couple of players that can be something great in the NHL. I take our core and prospects over your core and prospects any day of the week. The Thrashers should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Isles...at least we never lost a team in the first place (no offense to the Nords/Jets fans)

dude seriously? im not gonna start a flame war on an aesthetics forum. go try to do that elsewhere..

While yes Avery is able to get in guys heads hes still a joke of a hockey player.

Disagree. Matt Cooke is a joke of a hockey player. Avery peaked about 3 years ago, when his brilliance took over and the NHL went all Clockwork Orange on him. Its a shame really, but when he's on his game he can play. I hate defending him, but people who don't watch him 82 games a year don't see the peaks and valleys. One game he's Claude Lemieux minus the draper hit, the next he's lost out there. It's a shame, but when he's on his game no one can stop him.

And come on man, living here you must know that when the product is good, people will come. Look at the islanders for god sakes. They draw worse than us and they are in New York City!!!

I honestly cannot agree with this. The Thrashers could win the cup 4 years in a row and not sell out any games this year. They have a good group of young talent, incompetent ownership, no marketing potential, and just live in a bad sports town. Atlanta really is a weird market to be honest, and hockey just doesn't belong. Baseball would never have survived here without Hank Aaron to bring the franchise in, then Glavine and Maddux to usher in an unheralded era of dominance in the 90s. Basketball is just picking back up steam here, and I'm amazed the Falcons have a fanbase due to the futility of that franchise for many years. I just don't think Hockey and Survive here and that's not a knock on fans, but just a knock on the demographics, arena location, and the culture down here. I think the NHL would be best by just relocating it rather than trying a failed experiment. People are going to get hurt. It sucks, but you live in a country where hockey is a niche sport, and down here people don't even know what the ###### that niche sport is. Also, the NHL fudges its attendance figures always, so no one really knows who draws in more.

Disagree. Matt Cooke is a joke of a hockey player.

Enter Evander Kane:

I honestly cannot agree with this. The Thrashers could win the cup 4 years in a row and not sell out any games this year. They have a good group of young talent, incompetent ownership, no marketing potential, and just live in a bad sports town. Atlanta really is a weird market to be honest, and hockey just doesn't belong. Baseball would never have survived here without Hank Aaron to bring the franchise in, then Glavine and Maddux to usher in an unheralded era of dominance in the 90s. Basketball is just picking back up steam here, and I'm amazed the Falcons have a fanbase due to the futility of that franchise for many years. I just don't think Hockey and Survive here and that's not a knock on fans, but just a knock on the demographics, arena location, and the culture down here. I think the NHL would be best by just relocating it rather than trying a failed experiment. People are going to get hurt. It sucks, but you live in a country where hockey is a niche sport, and down here people don't even know what the ###### that niche sport is. Also, the NHL fudges its attendance figures always, so no one really knows who draws in more.

And wow. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS!! LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND FILM! In 06-07 it was packed night after night. I was there. I have been a season ticket holder since 2005. I know what im talking about. WINNING PRODUCT = more fans bar none. Good (and real) owners= winning product. End of story.

That is the same everywhere...obviously a winning product would lead to more people going to games in Atlanta, here on LI, and in Columbus, etc. Charles Wang has to be the worst owner in the league. He saved the Isles in 2000 with intentions of getting the Lighthouse Project. You cannot say no to this guy. That is why Neil Smith and Pat LaFontaine left the organization. With stable ownership the Isles can easily compete for the Cup. I have faith in Snow, but I do not believe he has been given permission to spend like he has said.

I was at the Coli for every playoff game (2002 v. Tor, 2003 v. Ott, 2004 v. TB, 2007 v. Buffalo). I heard how loud it was there. I still get goosebumps when I watch Shawn Bates' penalty shot goal on Cujo. Don't doubt LIers' love for hockey and how loud the Coli can get.

And wow. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS!! LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND FILM! In 06-07 it was packed night after night. I was there. I have been a season ticket holder since 2005. I know what im talking about. WINNING PRODUCT = more fans bar none. Good (and real) owners= winning product. End of story.

Where were the fans when the Thrashers were in the playoff hunt this year? I went to about 4 games this year (yes low sample size) and 3 of them were not against the Rangers. Of those games I could say MAYBE they were at 65% capacity when the Thrashers were doing well. There were a lot of people there when the Rangers were in town, but the inflated numbers were due to Rangers fans. Look I'm not discounting the franchise, its nice to be able to see my hometown team come down twice a year in college, but the team has had 1 winning season, and is losing money, has no direction, and really doesn't seem to have a solid fanbase. Until the bottom fell out this year, they had a winning product.

Last year you guys missed the playoffs by 5 points, yet the rumors of relocation started. You don't attract free agents (remember Big Buff came via trade), and you needed to sign Ron Hainsey to reach the cap floor at one point. Real Owners don't always mean there's a winning product on the ice. It takes a commitment to moving forward the Thrashers have never shown. Its been 12 years (11 seasons), what makes you think some white knight is going to come out of nowhere and save this franchise? Especially in these economic times.

Where were the fans when the Thrashers were in the playoff hunt this year? I went to about 4 games this year (yes low sample size) and 3 of them were not against the Rangers. Of those games I could say MAYBE they were at 65% capacity when the Thrashers were doing well. There were a lot of people there when the Rangers were in town, but the inflated numbers were due to Rangers fans. Look I'm not discounting the franchise, its nice to be able to see my hometown team come down twice a year in college, but the team has had 1 winning season, and is losing money, has no direction, and really doesn't seem to have a solid fanbase. Until the bottom fell out this year, they had a winning product.

Last year you guys missed the playoffs by 5 points, yet the rumors of relocation started. You don't attract free agents (remember Big Buff came via trade), and you needed to sign Ron Hainsey to reach the cap floor at one point. Real Owners don't always mean there's a winning product on the ice. It takes a commitment to moving forward the Thrashers have never shown. Its been 12 years (11 seasons), what makes you think some white knight is going to come out of nowhere and save this franchise? Especially in these economic times.

Commitment by OWNERS! Real owners do mean a winning product is more feasible. and your example with Hainsey just goes to show that the owners are NOT willing to spend money at all. It is becoming more and more appearant that these 'owners' are nothing more than bigshot rich guys who simply want to say 'yeah i own that hockey team, what of it?'. Im not sure what games you were attending but you must realise that Philips can seat over 20K people therefore even a decent crowd looks very small.

Commitment by OWNERS! Real owners do mean a winning product is more feasible. and your example with Hainsey just goes to show that the owners are NOT willing to spend money at all. It is becoming more and more appearant that these 'owners' are nothing more than bigshot rich guys who simply want to say 'yeah i own that hockey team, what of it?'. Im not sure what games you were attending but you must realise that Philips can seat over 20K people therefore even a decent crowd looks very small.

Actually the capacity is 18,545. Plus when there are 5 people in your section in the 300s (yeah I counted), there can't be more than 9000 at that game. It was against the Lightning too in like December. I don't remember the other game I saw but it was in January and maybe there were 12,000 people. That's not a decent crowd. That's 65% capacity man. It might have been at 80% capacity when the Rangers were there, but like I said the influx of Rangers fans will be there.

Look, I agree competent ownership could be the first step in moving forward, but its been 12 years usually thats enough time to find competent ownership that cares about the team and is willing to move it forward. And in the teams state, the economic turmoil, and lack of hockey culture there isn't going to risk tons of money into trying and build a successful franchise. It won't happen in this economy, and usually if it hasn't happened it won't happen, and I think its time for the NHL to just give up. Give Atlanta a minor league team, and it will probably do better.

• 1 month later...

Okay. So I have 3 MGG Isles royal jerseys (56, 56, 58). Since they were intended to be the alts, they have the 2008 collar tagging. Is it foulful if I want to turn one into a Tavares w/A (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/112746259/National-Hockey-League), one into a Hamonic, and even though Nino wore a 56, I want to turn the 58 into a Niederreiter (I have a 56 draft issued jersey from 2010 and Niederreiter barely fits on the back and it feels all weird on the shoulders). Is it a foul to put Niederreiter on a jersey that he only wore for less than 9 games (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/105965849/Getty-Images-Sport)? Is it a foul to NOT turn it into a Nino?

So,

Is it a foul to turn a jersey intended for 2008 into a 2010-2011 jersey?

Is it a foul to have blank pro stock and not turn it into a player that wore that size?

So,

Is it a foul to turn a jersey intended for 2008 into a 2010-2011 jersey?

Is it a foul to have blank pro stock and not turn it into a player that wore that size?

For the first one, if he wore it it is no foul. For the second one, I personally wouldn't call it a foul or else I'd be getting jerseys too huge for me, I don't know about the others on this board though.

Off Topic: Just asking does anybody know what size does Ryan Kesler wear for his jerseys?

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but if I take my Islander team to the Stanley Cup Final in NHL 10, is this a foul?

I mean, this is a close as I am going to get to seeing an Isle SCF jersey (I am actually expecting a SC on LI in 4 years). Look how nice it looks!!! (Is the patch real?)

IMG_6608.jpg

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but if I take my Islander team to the Stanley Cup Final in NHL 10, is this a foul?

I mean, this is a close as I am going to get to seeing an Isle SCF jersey (I am actually expecting a SC on LI in 4 years). Look how nice it looks!!! (Is the patch real?)

Yes it would be a foul. A funny one indeed. :lol::doh: