Malkin

Mach_9

So Evgeni Malkin scored in his first game with the Penguins. Score's 1-1 so far. What do you all think of this guy? Is he going to live up to the hype the way Ovechkin and Crosby did? Looks pretty good so far.

Meanwhile, Ovechkin and Crosby have been quiet so far, eh?

I think he will be a great player who gets injured a lot. A Forsberg. :D

I'd say I'd reserve the Forsberg status for a few years to see what he actually does first. Foppa gets a ton of respect in my book... I would love to see Malkin live up to that label and bring us that kind of exciting, energized hockey for years to come, but we'll have to see... Not just anyone can be a Forsberg (if only he'd been able to stay healthy :( )

Well the more injuries he sustains at a young age, the more it will hurt him down the road. It's tough to judge a lot of these young players right now because there is just so much hype going around. Crosby in my opinion is a great player but whose to say he'll be the next Gretzky. Remember when they had Lindros as the next great one? Now we sit back and laugh.

Picture Malkin - Crosby - Ovechkin with the likes of Phaneuf and lets say Cam Barker on defense.

That would be one sick line. Feel free to substitute Barker out for another rookie phenom defence.

Picture Malkin - Crosby - Ovechkin with the likes of Phaneuf and lets say Cam Barker on defense.

That would be one sick line. Feel free to substitute Barker out for another rookie phenom defence.

I dig Cam Barker. I think he's going to be phenominal.

I didn't actually see his performance as I was out at a concert, but I have heard from a couple friends that the Malkin goal shouldn't have counted (then again they were Devil's fans). Based on what I have read though, it does seem like he is going to help Pittsburgh quite a bit. Glad I drafted him in my Fantasy leagues.

I didn't actually see his performance as I was out at a concert, but I have heard from a couple friends that the Malkin goal shouldn't have counted (then again they were Devil's fans). Based on what I have read though, it does seem like he is going to help Pittsburgh quite a bit. Glad I drafted him in my Fantasy leagues.

I personally think Malkin is going to be a great impact player (overall - and I hope he is - the league needs more exciting players coming in) but I don't think he will live up to his hype this year. That's not a slight against him or the Pens, just a personal feeling. I think he might still compete for the calder, just not with 90+ points.

Malkin seems like a playmaker, and an excellent one at that. The type that sets it up real well - the kind who has a great vision on ice, and sensibility and gentlemanship. He strikes me as a new model for the new NHL, but not exactly in terms of scoring. He's still a great player, and will be for years to come!

Malkin seems like a playmaker, and an excellent one at that. The type that sets it up real well - the kind who has a great vision on ice, and sensibility and gentlemanship. He strikes me as a new model for the new NHL, but not exactly in terms of scoring. He's still a great player, and will be for years to come!

Malkin scores again tonight and adds his first assist. Crosby finally showed up and added three assists. He'd been doing well, but nothing noteworthy until tonight. If only I liked the Penguins...

Crosby to the wing would make Malkin a 90+ point getter for sure. That could be a lethal first line.

Yes it would be. Pittsburgh needs the depth right now though so I don't expect to see it besides on the powerplay and such, the way the Sabres use Briere and Drury. Still - has tremendous potential.

Malkin scores again. He's definitly done well so far.

I think Malkin is the real deal. I just hope he doesn't re-injure that shoulder. I am a huge Pens fan and we have been waiting for him for a couple of years. I think Crosby and Malkin will prove to be a great team. It showed last night against the Blue Jackets when Malkin put them up 4-2 with a dish from Crosby. The Pens need Eric Cairns to come back and they need Andre Roy to run interference for the dynamic duo. Getting Brooks Orpik back will help too. I would like to see the Pens get more out of Recchi and LeClair too. They will also be unbeatable if Staal, Armstrong, Ouellett get hot. They just need to stop making their dumb (and rookie) defensive zone lapses. But, I think they will grow and gradually get better. Fleury is finally showing his worth. Therrien came in and repaired what Olczyck screwed up. I think the Pens may even make the playoffs. We'll see. -Brian

Another thing that Malkin is doing in addition to helping the Penguins is he is indirectly helping Jordan Staal. There is no immediate pressure for Staal to live up to expectations due to all the coverage being on Malkin and Crosby. I mean how many people outside of Pittsburgh fans realized that Staal is tied for second on the team in goals (tied with Malkin).

Pittsburgh looks like a team that could potentially become a really good team in a year or two. They could possibly make a playoff run this year. They seem to have finally realized that Fleury needs to play in the NHL to be the player he is going to become as opposed to constantly sending him down.

Another thing that Malkin is doing in addition to helping the Penguins is he is indirectly helping Jordan Staal. There is no immediate pressure for Staal to live up to expectations due to all the coverage being on Malkin and Crosby. I mean how many people outside of Pittsburgh fans realized that Staal is tied for second on the team in goals (tied with Malkin).

Pittsburgh looks like a team that could potentially become a really good team in a year or two. They could possibly make a playoff run this year. They seem to have finally realized that Fleury needs to play in the NHL to be the player he is going to become as opposed to constantly sending him down.

I agree. Those are a lot of good, valid points. Great angle to look at things from.

Malkin's got 4 goals in 4 games, along with 2 assists (Staal has 4 goals as well - I don't see him going back to the minors). Tonight he scored what might be the craziest goal since Ovechkins roll over last season. Highlights on the Pens site. His goal is about 2:20 into the highlight reel. God this kid has a lot of intensity - love the goal celebration lol.

Malkin's got 4 goals in 4 games, along with 2 assists (Staal has 4 goals as well - I don't see him going back to the minors). Tonight he scored what might be the craziest goal since Ovechkins roll over last season. Highlights on the Pens site. His goal is about 2:20 into the highlight reel. God this kid has a lot of intensity - love the goal celebration lol.

I am curious to see how the Penguins treat the Staal situation. If they keep him they are going to be in a tough situation in a few years.

I am curious to see how the Penguins treat the Staal situation. If they keep him they are going to be in a tough situation in a few years.

I don't follow. It's late. What am I missing?

This article can explain it better than I can.

Meh - See, that's pure speculation, in my opinion. There's no knowing what kind of money they're going to have to shell out for Staal down the road. It could be a $2 million dollar a year deal, it could be 5. Not keeping him around this year, because you might have too many guys to deal with three years from now is a bad idea, especially when the team is winning, something that they desperately need, and the fans are interested, another thing that is sorely needed. Staal is contributing and the Penguins could use more guys like him. If they lost him to injury in the ninth game, I'd say it would hurt the team. With that in mind, I don't see why willfully losing him will hurt them any less. The Penguins are going to need to pay their guys sooner or later... keeping an NHL caliber player out of a lineup that needs him badly, in order to prolong the inevitable seems foolish to me. I understand I'm talking about money that I don't have and can't imagine right now, but these guys are the future of the franchise and I'd be eager to get them all locked up in long term deals. Imagine they send him to the minors, he develops, gets even better and they call him up in a year or two and he's 90 point guy? Than they'll have to pay him even more when he becomes a free agent in 2010 or 2011. Do the two years really make a difference? He's only going to get better in the minors and you expect to keep him there for very long with the way he's played in the NHL.

Meh - See, that's pure speculation, in my opinion. There's no knowing what kind of money they're going to have to shell out for Staal down the road. It could be a $2 million dollar a year deal, it could be 5. Not keeping him around this year, because you might have too many guys to deal with three years from now is a bad idea, especially when the team is winning, something that they desperately need, and the fans are interested, another thing that is sorely needed. Staal is contributing and the Penguins could use more guys like him. If they lost him to injury in the ninth game, I'd say it would hurt the team. With that in mind, I don't see why willfully losing him will hurt them any less. The Penguins are going to need to pay their guys sooner or later... keeping an NHL caliber player out of a lineup that needs him badly, in order to prolong the inevitable seems foolish to me. I understand I'm talking about money that I don't have and can't imagine right now, but these guys are the future of the franchise and I'd be eager to get them all locked up in long term deals. Imagine they send him to the minors, he develops, gets even better and they call him up in a year or two and he's 90 point guy? Than they'll have to pay him even more when he becomes a free agent in 2010 or 2011. Do the two years really make a difference? He's only going to get better in the minors and you expect to keep him there for very long with the way he's played in the NHL.

I completely agree that the Penguins need Staal now and he should stay with the team. Of course it isn't my team and it is the decision of the new ownership group of the Penguins. Tonight was their 8th game, so the decision will have to be made soon as game #9 is on Saturday.