How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you sleep at night knowing that mark is on your G jersey? Also, are you aware that there are 2 stitches per inch less than what the Flyers wear?

This has already been addressed on the previous page, but just to reiterate - ACETONE!!!

It'll break down vinyl (screen-print, heat-press), any adhesive (better than goof-off), and it'll remove sharpie/ink.

Apply, scrub, wash, scrub, rinse, let dry for a day or so, repeat.

Once the acetone stops working, soap and/or a good stain remover should take care of the rest. If that doesn't work, chances are good the jersey's permanently stained.

Have you ever used acetone on a non-white jersey? I have white number residue on a red Coyotes 6100 that did not strip cleanly at all. Will acetone stain?

The jersey is actually a Briere, for my girlfriend. 46's aren't too easy to come by, unfortunately, so hopefully someone has an idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever used acetone on a non-white jersey? I have white number residue on a red Coyotes 6100 that did not strip cleanly at all. Will acetone stain?

White jerseys are actually worse than others because they show the smearing of the ink (from the sig), or color from the adhesive used on numbers, so yeah, it works even better on darker jerseys. No, acetone doesn't stain.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I'm at Cosby's today dropping off 2 jerseys for customization and as I take the white one out of the bag, I notice (for the first time) 2 faint yellowish stains. I guess the horrible fluorescent lighting there really shows flaws that can go relatively unnoticed. So I'm annoyed but I drop the thing off anyway.....I mean, I'm there, I was all prepared and stuff. So I'm hoping some of these tips in ths thread will help remove these things when I get it back.

That stinks. I have another white CCM early 90's Rangers jersey and it has a a few yellowish spots too. I got it dirt cheap, so I can't complain, but I really want to clean it up before I do it up with Gartner, with the A, and the NHL75 patch. Suggestions anybody?

I've removed some yellow spots on at least 4 white jerseys (including a Rangers mesh) by using full-strength bleach applied carefully with a Q-tip, taking care to not let the bleach spread to the colored parts of the jersey. In each case, the stains came out completely. Be sure to thoroughly rinse out the area with water when done. These spots wouldn't come out with regular detergent but the bleach worked like a charm.

I've removed some yellow spots on at least 4 white jerseys (including a Rangers mesh) by using full-strength bleach applied carefully with a Q-tip, taking care to not let the bleach spread to the colored parts of the jersey. In each case, the stains came out completely. Be sure to thoroughly rinse out the area with water when done. These spots wouldn't come out with regular detergent but the bleach worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot. I was thinking of that too, but waiting on that as a last resort.

Actually polyester is hard to bleach, if that's even possible. I bought a white Starter Rangers once (from madflava?) that has a few unknown stains that I thought I could easily get out with the Clorox Bleach Pen. Well, it didn't do a thing and neither did acetone. The red and blue stripes didn't bleed into the white areas and the stain are still there.

Another project I had was a CCM Mesh Rangers with some discoloration from the sleeve #'s but I think, once polyester is colored you can't bleach it. That's the experience I made.

• 1 month later...

The Long Island is embroidered into the crest, you can't remove that stain.

The stain on the white parts might be cleanable with stronger stuff and some scrubbing.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone with a 90's era CCM mesh New York Rangers (home/white) jersey confirm that their jersey has a slight yellowish tint to it in certain light. In bright lighting my jersey looks white, but in other lightning it looks almost like a dull yellow.

I know nylon starts to yellow a bit with age, just trying to get a gauge of what others are like who have them. When you compare it to an edge jersey for example (rangers, away/white) the difference is crazy. The new jerseys are such a stark white. Were the 90's ccm mesh white ever THAT white when they first came out? I don't remember them being that stark.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Can anyone with a 90's era CCM mesh New York Rangers (home/white) jersey confirm that their jersey has a slight yellowish tint to it in certain light. In bright lighting my jersey looks white, but in other lightning it looks almost like a dull yellow.

I know nylon starts to yellow a bit with age, just trying to get a gauge of what others are like who have them. When you compare it to an edge jersey for example (rangers, away/white) the difference is crazy. The new jerseys are such a stark white. Were the 90's ccm mesh white ever THAT white when they first came out? I don't remember them being that stark.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have a '96 white Rangers Starter and I didn't notice 2 areas of yellow discoloration until I was in Cosby's under the fluorescent lights waiting to give it in for customization. I had it at home for a while and inspected it upon arrival from eBay and in natural light as well as my room lights did not see it. So I understand what you're saying. Can't explain it but I understand it.

I have about 50 ccm mesh ranger jerseys and probably amongst them ten different shades of white. I wouldn't worry about it. gives it character!

I have about 50 ccm mesh ranger jerseys and probably amongst them ten different shades of white. I wouldn't worry about it. gives it character!

If you were to hold any of the mesh ones you have against a new edge style or premier white jersey, do you think any of the ccm mesh would match the stark bright white of the newer jerseys?

My ccm mesh jersey is very white in good lighting, but somewhat of an off white in certain lighting. The new white jerseys are just SO white its unreal almost.

Can anyone with a 90's era CCM mesh New York Rangers (home/white) jersey confirm that their jersey has a slight yellowish tint to it in certain light.

Comparing any 20 year old jersey to a new one is gonna make it look off color in comparison.

That said, I've owned a few late 80s/early 90s white mesh jerseys, and even a '85 that was still in brand new condition (crisp tags), and I gotta say, they were pretty white.

If you can grab your 90s era mesh jersey, feel the neck tag and say it's still hard/crisp to the touch, and the jersey's yellow, you can attribute it to age. If you touch the neck tag, however, and it's soft at all, even if the colors are still bright/vibrant, chances are it's been washed at some point and the jersey will never be as white/bright as when it was first new.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey new guy here and would appreciate any directions or advice on my issue.

I have a white authentic Pro Player NJ Devils jersey. A week ago I left the jersey out on the table under some flowers and some of the petals or remains fell on my jersey. These caused a bunch of little reddish stains on the white main parts of the jersey and none are bigger than about 1 cm in diameter. I tried tide to go with no luck and also tried bleaching it with some decent luck. I got most out with the bleach but a couple of the smaller stains are still faintly there. I was thinking about using Goof-off but I have read from here that it can produced mix results and I really do not want to ruin the jersey.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to get a Brian Rolston signature off of a red Minnesota Wild jersey is to cut the signature off with a pair of scissors. You never said anything about keeping the jersey in one piece :-D

hey all. i am looking into a reebok 6100 jersey which has a signature on it in sharpie. whats the easiest was to get that out?

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=3831&p=65586

Acetone works just as well, if not better.

I sent my autographed jersey to http://jjdistributing.weebly.com/ came out fantastic it was on my rinaldo flyers road gamer. Pm me for before and after pics if you want ended up being $35 not including the shipping fees