How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a white CCM mesh with faint stains on the front (judging by the trajectory, I think it's oooolllllddd ketchup). Hydrogen peroxide, no good. Will try acetone- if not, which is better:

oxyclean or bleach?

Sub-question: which oxyclean (so many products on the webpage) and/or how do I dilute the bleach? 50:50?

• 1 month later...

I don't know.....I thought I saw that on the website.....I never used it before.

You have to dilute oxyclean if you wanna wash a jersey?

Practice on a few crappy Islanders jerseys first. :P

Actually I think my dilution question concerned the bleach. I'm pretty sure you can't swab straight bleach on it.

• 4 months later...

I recently won an eBay auction for a Mighty Ducks jersey which was claimed to be in "Mint condition", but upon recieving the jersey I noticed a stain on the white Starter logo on the sleeve. Everything looked good in the pictures posted on eBay, so should I try to get this stain out or just return it?

Here's the auction link in case you wanted to see it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks-Hockey-Starter-Jersey-XL-Mint-NWOT-/231080728547?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

and the stain

T2eC16VHJHoFGlY9O4RBSczjdhg60_0_zpsa5530

Edit: Just noticed how small that picture is, I can post another when I get home and can take another picture of it. Also the stain is noticeable on the inside of the sleeve in the same spots on the logo if it matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Is acetone as effective on the actual lettering/numbering as it is on the fabric when it comes to removing sharpie signatures?

My wife's white CCM Beukeboom jersey is signed by Nick Fotiu and Barry Beck on the back numbers...she has recently gone all purist and regrets having any signatures other than Jeff's.

Is acetone as effective on the actual lettering/numbering as it is on the fabric when it comes to removing sharpie signatures?

My wife's white CCM Beukeboom jersey is signed by Nick Fotiu and Barry Beck on the back numbers...she has recently gone all purist and regrets having any signatures other than Jeff's.

I find that 99% isopropyl alcohol works best at removing autographs on most materials and surfaces.

solv-fa-isopropyl16oz---1.jpg

Make sure it is 99%. Not 76%, and not rubbing alcohol.

• 1 month later...

This used to be a 2010 draft jersey -- http://s740.photobucket.com/user/NYIJM29/library/Isles%20Strip?sort=3&page=1 -- I want to make it a 91. Is it possible to get rid of the orange outlines (it's only "bad" on the sleeves) without ruining the jersey?

• 2 months later...

Hey, thought I can use this forum for some tips for another jersey of mine. I have a black Nike elite/authentic (can't place a link for some reason :( ) Baltimore Ravens jersey with white and purple twill numbers. I have a very very very small red/orange stain...about the size of a fine tip marker...that I've picked up from rubbing against something. it's been on the twill for awhile, but the jersey itself has never been washed or treated.

What's the best way to go about getting the spot off the twill without bleaching the rest of the jersey? Any ideas?

Edited by cry_minarets458

Hey, thought I can use this forum for some tips for another jersey of mine. I have a black Nike elite/authentic (can't place a link for some reason :( ) Baltimore Ravens jersey with white and purple twill numbers. I have a very very very small red/orange stain...about the size of a fine tip marker...that I've picked up from rubbing against something. it's been on the twill for awhile, but the jersey itself has never been washed or treated.

What's the best way to go about getting the spot off the twill without bleaching the rest of the jersey? Any ideas?

Try Acetone on a q tip. It's a good idea to always try and find an inconspicuous spot to test the acetone for bleeding. I've used acetone on twill before and it's been very easy and forgiving, but I've never tried on an NFL jersey so I don't know if the twill is different in any way. If the stain is ink based the acetone should break down the ink and it will get wicked up into the q tip. I've used acetone to get tree sap out of clothes before too, so it isn't only for ink stains. Worth a shot, anyway.

• 4 months later...

Hey has anybody had any problems with tide to go? I received a jersey yesterday that was a little marked up and when using tide do go it just made a light brown coloring around the stain.

Have you tried rinsing it in cold water? Or I'd even try washing that spot with Woolite in cold water.

I actually used the peroxide thing i red on here and it got the stain out. Ill just try washing it im a little afraid of it staining while washing

• 3 weeks later...

Did you try acetone?

Well, I'm hoping acetone might remove most if not all of that discoloration on the back. Hopefully it will work on the dark outlines if they are not too thick. Goof-Off may be a bit better for the outlines if acetone doesn't work, but it kinda stinks (literally).

I recently stripped an away Flyers jersey and this blue adhesive with outline was leftover

I used goof-off a bit lightly as it was my first time using it, then spot-applied some detergent to problem areas and washed it

Then i basically bathed the thing in goof off with cardboard in the middle of the jersey to protect the crest and again applied detergent and washed it

I actually didn't bother with the sleeve outlines but the results on the back numbers were pretty good, once i make a new photohosting account i'l post pics

yHeuMMI.jpglCX71ah.jpgYTbCaLQ.jpgAssuming these pictures show, the first one is the jersey right after stripping off the '40' and nameplate

The second is after a light spray with goof-off

The third was after washing it, practically soaking it in goof-off, and washing it again

This isn't necessarily relevant to what you're talking about, as there were no black lines, but this is a white jersey that I used goof-off on so maybe it can at least give you some perspective on your situation or what to expect

I never applied goof-off onto the orange fabric so I'd tread lightly before you go soaking anything like i did :)