How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's where my gum went! :thumbsup:

I'd try Goof-Off. That stuff seems to get just about anything out.

Edited by LAK74

Maybe start with goo-gone first. Goof-off is some strong stuff and can be a nightmare if your not careful with it.

I should have asked what kind of material your jersey is made of. If it's regular airknit, ultrafil or nylon mesh, you'll probably be fine with Goof-Off. However, if your jersey is sublimated then I wouldn't recommend using it.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have experience with waterproof pen marks on a shoulder patch or a front crest? I bought some aceton, but I'm a definitely worried that it will ruin the color of the stitching on the patch. It's only small dots, but I never worked with pure aceton and I'm a bit scared of the stuff! :)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey fellas. I just bought a used white Lemieux 2002 Team Canada. I knew full well it was stained pretty bad but there is no damage to it which is what matters most to me. It was worth the risk because those jerseys are hard to find.

Someone suggested Oxi Clean but I've never used it before. Do I soak it in the bathtub? If so, for how long? I just don't want the colors in the crests bleeding into the white of the jersey...

The good news is the seller claimed it had never seen a washing machine or a dryer, so the stains havn't been baked in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have dry cleaned every type of Jersey you could imagine where the tag says "no dry cleaning", and never had a problem.

Goof Off spray and/or hydrogen peroxide with a firm toothbrush gets just about any stain out I ever encountered on a jersey.

Gentle cycle, full load of water to wash with after should not ruin the crest. Would take many washings to do that IMO.

Just to add to what Richter9377 said, do not put it in the dryer, let hang it up and let it air dry.

I've done okay with a dryer, but litterally baby sat the jersey and took it out after 10 minutes, then air dried it the rest of the way. Air knits dry fast in a dryer, Starter Mesh not so much.

Guest Dr_Puck

I just learned the power of OxiClean today. I soaked four jerseys in a tub of cool water with OxiClean for about thirty minutes and then dabbed warm water on the stains. Perfect.

I find that a "Tide To Go" pen takes out a good deal of stains as well. I have one in my desk drawer, and that's usually my first step when I get a jersey and get mad that it has an undisclosed stain.

I do, however, have a Devils jersey with a stubborn stain, so OxiCkean may be what I try. What type did you use, liquid or powder?

Guest Dr_Puck

Thanks for the suggestion on Tide to Go. I'll add that to my list.

I used Oxiclean powder. In letting the four jerseys soak in a bin of the powder and cool water for about thirty minutes, the colors came back to all of the jerseys. The warm water and oxiclean was there for touch up; I then ran them through the laundry on delicates and cold.

Honestly, it's like I have four brand new jerseys. One jersey no longer looks like I was chugging pasta sauce. The other jersey was the white Demonz that I posted earlier and the patch stain is entirely gone.

Definitely going to try that on that Devils jersey of mine that has a stain...now if I could only remember WHICH Devils it was...

• 1 month later...

What are the odds of getting this jersey clean(er)? I have been looking for a Citadelles with no luck. I generally don't buy game works, but I was thinking if I grab this from their sake and clean it up (I know game worn guys frown upon it), maybe it'd work for me.

What do you think?

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=3154293&catLevel=0&scLevel=&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=&catParentID=60501&scId=60501

Edited by mfitz804

What are the odds of getting this jersey clean(er)? I have been looking for a Citadelles with no luck. I generally don't buy game works, but I was thinking if I grab this from their sake and clean it up (I know game worn guys frown upon it), maybe it'd work for me.

What do you think?

Think you forgot to link to it.

• 7 months later...

White EDGE jersey with what appears to be a line of black ballpoint pen on it. Was thinking rubbing alcohol might work. Anyone have suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Light blue ink on a ccm kings gamer any suggestions to remove the stain?

I used the packaged nail polish remover variety, which worked on mine. I understand the pure stuff from the hardware store is even easier to use.