How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

Easier, but way stronger. The nail polish remover variety didn't have anything in it to risk staining?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier, but way stronger. The nail polish remover variety didn't have anything in it to risk staining?

I have no clue, but it didn't stain it. The wise thing to do would have been NOT to just use whatever I had in my house. I did rinse it out in under a minute, though. It did not come close to drying.

• 2 months later...

What about these black marks of unknown origin?

82031E9E-9136-4F82-A170-024297FA5271_zps

The jersey is otherwise in fantastic condition, but I know these marks will bother me. I tried scrubbing with Dawn, then a laundry pre-treater, then washing it...nothing.

I put the jersey up for sale but I really think I could end up regretting it if there's a way to remove this kind of stuff.

What do you say guys?

I have one that came to me with similar marks, almost like someone played hockey in it. (gasp!) Scrubbing with pretreater and oxyclean didn't touch it. I gave up, since it's not a white jersey and really isn't very noticeable. I would probably try goof-off next. If it looks oily, maybe mineral spirits? I've never had to try that, though, and would definitely test an airknit swatch first for staining.

I have tried a Tide stain removal stick and it's worked brilliantly on two jerseys.

Didn't even make a dent.

That's why Rangers fans are lucky, after the game you just drop your suit off at the cleaners.

That's why Rangers fans are lucky, after the game you just drop your suit off at the cleaners.

I'm hardly a "suit". If I had any less money, I'd have to live in New Jersey.

They sell suits at Target. I didn't say you had a GOOD suit!!!

:)

Edited by mfitz804

Lmfao

• 1 month later...

DhZHJJvm.jpg

This is a replica 2004 Eastern Conference ASG jersey, so it's not exactly white. Despite the fact that it is a replica, I'd like to get rid of the stain. It is definitely noticeable.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:27 PM, TheKevinShow said:

DhZHJJvm.jpg

This is a replica 2004 Eastern Conference ASG jersey, so it's not exactly white. Despite the fact that it is a replica, I'd like to get rid of the stain. It is definitely noticeable.

Anyone?

I'd try a stain stick, maybe a color safe bleach pen

Soak it in Oxy-clean after and hand rinse

It'll be fine  

What have you tried? I usually start this way:

Tide stain stick

Dawn dish soap

Regular Wash Cycle w/ Oxyclean strain pre treater

Most of the time, those knock it out. If not, I know a lot of guys use pure acetone, but I never have do I'd leave that to someone else to recommend. 

, I'm surprised that the stain came out on the first wash. I pre-treated it with a stain stick and let it sit for a few hours. It went through the delicate cycle and now the stain is gone.

It's too bad that I had to cut off the tags to wash it, but it's a replica, so c'est la vie.

Boom, cleaned.

And you're right, it's just a replica, having the tags on doesn't really add value. Most people looking for replicas wear them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some tips

TIP 1: WHEN WASHING YOUR AUTHENTIC SPORTS JERSEYS NEVER WASH WITH JEANS OR OTHER CLOTHES, HOWEVER YOU CAN WASH OTHER JERSEYS WITH IT. ONLY COLORED, (NOT WHITE JERSEYS) ALL COLORED JERSEY CAN BE WASHED TOGETHER.

TIP 2: ALWAYS TURN JERSEYS INSIDE OUT BEFORE WASHING, AND WASH ON COLD. IF IT'S A BASEBALL JERSEY MAKE SURE YOU UNBUTTON ALL THE BUTTONS TO PREVENT THEM FROM BREAKING DURING A WASH.

TIP 3: YOU CAN WASH THEM ON REGULAR CYCLE, IF THERE A LITTLE MORE DIRTY THAN NORMAL, BUT IF NOT WASH THEM ON CASUAL TO PREVENT A HARDER WASH ON THEM FROM USING THE REGULAR CYCLE.

TIP 4: NEVER DRY YOUR JERSEYS!  ALWAYS HANG DRY. MOST JERSEYS ARE MADE OUT OF A MATERIAL THAT WILL DRY QUICKLY SO THROW THEM ON A HANGER AND LET THEM AIR DRY.  IF YOU NEED IT DRIED QUICKER, IF YOU DO DECIDE TO PUT IT IN THE DRYER, MAKE SURE IT'S ON LOW HEAT, NEVER DRY ON COTTONS HIGH EVER!

• 6 months later...

Got a white Ultrafil jersey in today with an undisclosed, large black mark across the  top front, just below the neck. Looks like marker. What a bummer.

But no worries. Hoping it was in fact ink, I applied a liberal amount of ordinary hand sanitizer, and worked it into the material with a soft toothbrush. You could actually see the ink coming out of the material as I went along. I dabbed it away with a damp cloth.

Applied more gel and let it sit about 30 minutes, and now it's back in the washing machine. When it went in, stain was nearly 100% gone. I am guessing it will come out of the machine looking pretty good. 

Anyhow, the answer is yes, the alcohol content in hand sanitizer is effective at removing ink stains from a jersey. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I've got a few vintage jerseys in the mail and there's a few yellow stains on airknit and ultrafil. I read through this thread but really don't know where to start. Some people say goofoff works miracles and others are saying start with tide pen? Is goofoff mainly for glue after removal? 

Is there a difference considering these stains are probably Very old? 

I don't really want to put the jersey in the washing machine cause aside from a few stains the jerseys are practically mint.

Tide pen is a good place to start. But don't fear the washing machine; they are designed to be washed. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Tide pen is a good place to start. But don't fear the washing machine; they are designed to be washed. 

I've used a tide pen before but what steps do u take when it comes to a jersey? 

Use the tide pen on the jersey dry and then rise off that area? 

Do you rub back and forth with the tide pen when you're using it or do you just push down to get the fluid out then use jersey on jersey to rub?