How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

I use it just like it's intended, release the detergent and then rub it on the stain with the pen. 

I don't rinse it after, I wash it completely. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I use it just like it's intended, release the detergent and then rub it on the stain with the pen. 

I don't rinse it after, I wash it completely. 

When you wash it after do you put in detergent?

Do you think tide pen's effects only works after you've put it in the wash or does the stain disappear while you're already using the pen on the stain? Im thinking of using a tide pen on the area and then soaking and rinsing in cold water. Thoughts? Just want to get all the details before I start work on it. 

Edited by rattlestar

Depends totally on the stain, but the Tide pen is kind of designed to work on its own, you don't necessarily have to rinse it at all. But I don't like the smell of it at all. 

I use it as a spot treatment to help with the stain, sometimes it works, other times no. But then I will still wash it, I wash every jersey I get.

And yes, I wash it with detergent, cold water, low spin. Never had a jersey harmed by washing it. After all, the teams wash them with detergent also. 

I just wanted to add in my experience on here. 

I picked up a few jerseys that turned out to have several yellow stains similar to this on the https://ibb.co/k2i71F . One also had red (old ketchup?) looking stains. 

I didn't know what kind of stains they were or how long they had been there. I assumed it was older because of the age of the jerseys. Jerseys were both ultrafil and airknit. 

Like mfitz804 had recommended above I started with the tide pen which actually removed 90% of the stains. One thing to be aware of is that if you over pump the pen in the same area it can leave a circular white spot that would need rinsing to remove afterwards. So always have a cold tub of water with a pinch of detergent ready at all times (as advised by slimcutta). You do not need to rinse the jersey if it was just a quick touch up. I can confirm this. I only had to rinse one of the four jerseys because of the white spot that developed around the stain from me going crazy on the pen pump first time around.

After the tide pen, whatever I couldn't remove I managed to fix with dish deteregent and that did the trick.

Edited by rattlestar

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, hatryk said:

Rehashing old thread. I have a white jersey where the nameplate has yellowed. Is this the glue underneath?  How can I get it out?  Oxyclean. Bleach. Acetone?

I don't know the answer, but I will say both jersey-wise and laundry-wise, yellow stains on a white article of clothing is basically the hardest combination. 

What kind of jersey is it, game worn or just a retail authentic? If its the latter, replacing the nameplate might actually be the easier, cheaper, less stressful and fume free option. 

I have a white Hawks jersey that I stripped and it came totally clean with the exception of where the numbers crossed over the fight strap.

It left yellowing that I have hit with about everything I got and it still shows.

you may be stuck

As Mfitz804 mentioned, my bet for the easiest solution would be replacing it.

Edited by Hockey Bob

• 3 months later...

Any suggestions on how to remove acetone stains on a white jersey? My strip job soaked up a bit and it dried resulting in some purple-ish outlines where it dried. Tried normal laundry detergent, some oxiclean spray, and applying slightly more acetone. So far, no luck. Bleach? Try more acetone? 

If you wash the jersey after the acetone has dried, the stains don’t seem to come out.  Have you tried applying acetone, rubbing it into the affected area to dissolve the colored staining, and BEFORE the acetone dries, rinse it out thoroughly with cold water?  This has worked for me a few times.

10 hours ago, LAK74 said:

If you wash the jersey after the acetone has dried, the stains don’t seem to come out.  Have you tried applying acetone, rubbing it into the affected area to dissolve the colored staining, and BEFORE the acetone dries, rinse it out thoroughly with cold water?  This has worked for me a few times.

This was going to be my next step. Trying to soak more acetone in hopes to remove the previous acetone 

• 1 month later...

hello all,  new to the site so would appreciate any help on this:  recently acquired a 1998 Toronto Maple Leafs NIKE Authentic Center Ice White jersey with an undesired customization.  After stripping it (thanks again to the forum for all the tips on this), the color of the jersey is much whiter and brighter under where the numbers and the letters were, so even after ironing/steaming out the raised outlines of the strip and taking of glue residue, the outline of names/numbers remains due to color contrast.  (Unfortunately for me, no nameplate,  letters of the name were individually sewn into the jersey)  not worried about the name silhouette because a new nameplate will cover that.  More concerned about the number areas on the back and sleeve, especially because I want to turn it into a Sundin #13 and the original # was 33, so the 1 might be an issue if I cant get rid of the shadow.  Tried to wash multiple times in cold water with detergent with bleach alternative without improvement.  Any other ideas?

I also stripped a white jersey recently and found the areas under the numbers and letters to be brighter white than the surrounding area.  It probably wasn’t as noticeable as on yours, but I soaked it in Oxiclean White Revive for around 5 hours, and it helped a decent amount.  The results weren’t earth-shattering, and I still can see a very faint outline, but it won’t be noticeable after the new lettering is put on, and it’s definitely better than before the treatment.

I tried the Oxiclean white revive method you recommended and the results were much better than my previous regimens.  it seems the outcome is similar to yours, with a much fainter, but still detectable outline.  anyway, I fell much better about the upcoming custom job.  Maybe with future washings/treatments, the outline will become even less apparent.  thanks for the tip, Duane!

• 1 month later...

Got a cheap thrifted jersey with some weird sleeve stains almost like grease. Oxiclean soak & wash didn't help. What worked for me was mixing some Oxiclean with dish soap and hand scrubbing the spots with a toothbrush, followed by another wash.

There's still a couple small puck/stick marks left that it didn't touch, any tips for those?

8MUcKxp.jpg

Edited by dwillms

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I picked up a London Knights gamer today, and it has a lot of puck marks on it that is like to clean up. What’s my best bet in tackling these to get them out?

• 6 months later...

There are some very faint Sharpie marks on the logo of my Lightning jersey. I can make out the 19 so it’s clearly Brad Richards’ autograph but severely faded. Given that having him re-autograph it in precisely the same spot isn’t feasible, how do I get the remainder off?

7 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

There are some very faint Sharpie marks on the logo of my Lightning jersey. I can make out the 19 so it’s clearly Brad Richards’ autograph but severely faded. Given that having him re-autograph it in precisely the same spot isn’t feasible, how do I get the remainder off?

Sometimes applying Purell hand sanitizer will take out sharpie. I think because of the alcohol content. In any event, it won’t hurt the jersey. You’ll need to wash it after, I know some people are skittish about doing so. 

Here’s the end result of stripping one of the sleeve numbers off of the Lightning jersey. 

iDaDPpF.jpg

What am I looking at and how do I get rid of it?

Looks like you did a nice job, I would soak in Oxi-Clean then hit the glue areas with Goof Off or Acetone.
One thing I have found that works for clumps of glue like the right side of the #1 is to hit it with Goof off and drag the back side (dull side) of a butter knife over it, I know people freak when I suggest a KNIFE on a jersey but all you are using is the flat dull side, it pulls or stretches the fabric just enough to loosen the glue in spots and you can peel it off.
After that, another soak in Oxi-Clean and hit it with an Iron with lots of steam and it should look good as new.  
And, of course.... hang dry

2 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

One thing I have found that works for clumps of glue like the right side of the #1 is to hit it with Goof off and drag the back side (dull side) of a butter knife over it, I know people freak when I suggest a KNIFE on a jersey but all you are using is the flat dull side, it pulls or stretches the fabric just enough to loosen the glue in spots and you can peel it off.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:37 AM, Hockey Bob said:

Looks like you did a nice job, I would soak in Oxi-Clean then hit the glue areas with Goof Off or Acetone.
After that, another soak in Oxi-Clean and hit it with an Iron with lots of steam and it should look good as new.  
And, of course.... hang dry

Now, when you say soak in Oxi-Clean, how long should I soak it for? Are we talking a full overnight soak in the washer?

8 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

Now, when you say soak in Oxi-Clean, how long should I soak it for? Are we talking a full overnight soak in the washer?

Typically what I do is put 2 -3 scoops of Oxi-Clean in a bucket. I spray warm water from my kitchen sink to get it to foam up ( I know some would say use cold - I'm just saying what I do )
Then I dunk the jersey in and let it soak for about 20-30 min
I will work it around by hand - 1950's style laundry.

After that I either rinse it in the sink with cold water / hang dry - or, sometimes I dump the whole bucket into the wash with some detergent and run it on the delicate cycle - then straight out of the wash I'll hit it with an Iron and TONS of steam, never let the Iron rest on the fabric, always moving. Then hang dry and you should be golden.