How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

22 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

What is the general consensus these days for getting those stains that look like grease out of white jerseys? I've seen a few tips in this thread, however what works best?

48954148122_5e153c61af.jpg

Liquid Dawn dish soap. Wet the fabric, rub the soap into the stain either using the material itself or a soft bristled toothbrush. 

Then I wash it in the machine like a normal person, some might say just to rinse it out in cold water. 

This technique works about 85-90% of the time for me. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the oxiclean max force gel stick, seems to work every time.

I glob it on, let it sit, work it with an old toothbrush, rinse and repeat if necessary

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Liquid Dawn dish soap. Wet the fabric, rub the soap into the stain either using the material itself or a soft bristled toothbrush. 

Then I wash it in the machine like a normal person, some might say just to rinse it out in cold water. 

This technique works about 85-90% of the time for me. 

Worked like a charm. 

Do others sometimes use acetone as a stain remover?  Just looking at what Phil was trying to tackle there, I can say I've used acetone on something like that with success.  I agree with both Bob and Fitz method though too.

11 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

Do others sometimes use acetone as a stain remover?  Just looking at what Phil was trying to tackle there, I can say I've used acetone on something like that with success.  I agree with both Bob and Fitz method though too.

Using acetone on something like that is a crazy over-reaction. Like exfoliating your face with a power sander. 

But it'll work. 

LOL, great anology, I don't make it a habit of using acetone, but I have and it's effective.  On some real dark black marks I've used it and had some success.

I more often than not just treat spots with a stain remover let it sit and then scrub them out with a rag or let them sit in a cold stain remover diluted bath.  I'm one who rarely uses the washing machine on a jersey.  I think I've done it twice or 3 times total.

45 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

LOL, great anology, I don't make it a habit of using acetone, but I have and it's effective.  On some real dark black marks I've used it and had some success.

I more often than not just treat spots with a stain remover let it sit and then scrub them out with a rag or let them sit in a cold stain remover diluted bath.  I'm one who rarely uses the washing machine on a jersey.  I think I've done it twice or 3 times total.

1) I don’t see why one would use solvents to take out basic stains, and

2) If you wear your jerseys....GROSS!!!!

1) I have no good reason why but I've done it

2) Very very occasional wearer of jerseys - 95% remain unworn in my collection

11 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

1) I have no good reason why but I've done it

2) Very very occasional wearer of jerseys - 95% remain unworn in my collection

Ok that’s fine then. No reason to wash them if you aren’t wearing them, and no reason not to wash them if you are. 

I usually wash them (sit them in a stain remover diluted bath, rinse and hang to dry) when I first receive them, just to maybe brighten the colours and refresh the fabric anyway.  So they're clean going into the closet and I might pull one or two out to wear in the course of a year so...

1 hour ago, JJM4 said:

I have, when basic stain removal techniques have failed. Acetone worked quite well. 

Edited by jsh139

2 hours ago, JJM4 said:

Very very occasional wearer of jerseys - 95% remain unworn in my collection

I have never needed / tried acetone. 
My go to is Goof Off and I have used it on some stains when all else fails. 

And I too only have a select few jerseys I wear, the only ones I never wash are the Devils ones I sold back to Fitz. 
But I only wore those a few times with nothing else while laying on a bear skin rug and eating feta cheese by the fist fulls 

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

But I only wore those a few times with nothing else while laying on a bear skin rug and eating feta cheese by the fist fulls 

By my request. ;) 

13 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

You said you were gonna delete those pics!!!

Once it’s on the internet, there’s no taking it back. 

• 7 months later...

So I read through the previous 5 pages of this thread, and it seems the general consensus is that pucks marks aren’t able to be removed. Is that correct?

21 hours ago, EMkicks said:

So I read through the previous 5 pages of this thread, and it seems the general consensus is that pucks marks aren’t able to be removed. Is that correct?

I have not found a solution to clean puck marks yet.

And I pride myself on being able to get most jerseys clean.
If there is something out there, I haven't come across it yet.

22 hours ago, EMkicks said:

You can try the mongo's jersey restoration guy on facebook.  He did a jersey for me and had some good results removing and lessening the appearance of the puck marks a jersey of mine was littered with.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, EMkicks said:

It's a myth, try Amodex ink and stain remover.  It worked for me.  You can get it at a sewing supplies store.

49 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

It's a myth, try Amodex ink and stain remover.  It worked for me.  You can get it at a sewing supplies store.

That stuff is awesome for removing ink, never tried it for puck marks. My boss got ink on a brand new cream colored fabric desk chair and it came out immediately like it was never there. 

My local supermarket has it in the laundry aisle, and Bed Bath and Beyond carries it (if they are open, otherwise on their website). 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That stuff is awesome for removing ink, never tried it for puck marks. My boss got ink on a brand new cream colored fabric desk chair and it came out immediately like it was never there. 

My local supermarket has it in the laundry aisle, and Bed Bath and Beyond carries it (if they are open, otherwise on their website). 

It is pretty awesome stuff, and it's much less potent that goof off or acetone, you don't need to wear a mask and gloves or anything.  You just apply it to the area in need and work it in and almost just scrape the stain out with your finger nail.

For me it got a game used white jersey completely clean of stains and puck marks.

Thanks fellas. I am eyeing a gamer right now with about 3 substantial puck marks on the sleeves. I'm trying to weigh my options for removing them before I decide if I want to drop the dough or not.

Looking forward to giving that Amodex ink and stain remover a shot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:43 PM, JJM4 said:

It is pretty awesome stuff, and it's much less potent that goof off or acetone, you don't need to wear a mask and gloves or anything.  You just apply it to the area in need and work it in and almost just scrape the stain out with your finger nail.

For me it got a game used white jersey completely clean of stains and puck marks.

Tried it tonight and it didn’t seem to do much of anything on my jersey. 

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Tried it tonight and it didn’t seem to do much of anything on my jersey. 

Really?  That's odd, I had to vigorously scrape with my fingernail but it removed all puck marks and other stains from a white ultrafil.  Did you apply and rub it in or did you do the fingernail scrape technique?