Awful River City Sports Experience

modano1973

Just wanted to share my awful order experience (still in progress) with River City Sports.

Last week, i ordered a customized 2009 Pro Western NHL All Star Jersey from RCS. After reading some of the reviews on this forum about past jersey customizations from RCS, i contacted them immediately to cancel only the customization order. I still wanted the jersey, just blank.

Rob (Main) was nice enough to cancel the customization part for me, but would place the customization fee as store credit only. I received the jersey last Friday, only to discover stains on the 1993 arm patch of the jersey. I contacted Rob back on Friday, to discuss an exchange. Today, he sent me this response:

Do you think this is something that a Dry Cleaner could take care of? Can you maybe explore that option to see if they think they can have it cleaned? Also, were there any slices or cuts in the bag? It almost looks like conveyor belt grease or something.

I would be able to leave the cost for cleaning as a credit on file for your next order or get it refunded to the credit card.

I immediately said no to cleaning it as that is not my responsibility, since it arrived damaged, and again requested for an exchange. I am waiting for a response back from Rob. Why i am not being offered an exchange for a jersey that arrived damaged (stained) is beyond me. As i placed the order on my credit card, i have the option of disputing the charge with my CC company if i don't get anywhere with them.

Suck it up and wash the ###### jersey... if he's not charging you for it it's not a big deal.

Your call, but if he said they would give you credit, I would just keep it and clean it...much easier than shipping it back and waiting. Sounds very nice IMO.

Seems like RCS is just trying to save some money, since they'd be responsible for shipping both ways again. Maybe take it to get it cleaned, and get documentation from the dry cleaners in case the stain doesn't come out, that way you can still send it back? And keep documentation of all your dealings with RCS in the matter in case they try to back out.

Just a thought anyway. Sending the jersey back is probably the least stressful option in case something goes wrong. Speaking of which, you should probably bring that up to RCS before doing anything as well.

Awful customer service would be to either ignore a problem, or tell you to go pound salt. Rob did neither, so because he didn't do exactly what you wanted it's awful customer service? They offered a solution. That's more than a lot of places would have done. And CC disputes are not for situations like this, they are for goods and services not received or fraudulent charges. Neither of those situations occurs here.

Awful customer service would be to either ignore a problem, or tell you to go pound salt. Rob did neither, so because he didn't do exactly what you wanted it's awful customer service? They offered a solution. That's more than a lot of places would have done. And CC disputes are not for situations like this, they are for goods and services not received or fraudulent charges. Neither of those situations occurs here.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I still feel an exchange should have been offered. Anyways, i will discuss cleaning the patch as an option with Rob.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I still feel an exchange should have been offered. Anyways, i will discuss cleaning the patch as an option with Rob.

We all have that angry feeling initially when things like this happen, and they've happened to me plenty of times. I'm glad that you have taken a minute to step back and look for other opinions. Kudos to you. As I said, a lot of places would not have made an offer like that. Perhaps not what you exactly thought, but an attempt for a solution, nonetheless.

it seems like an inconvenience, but if he's willing to credit back the dry cleaning cost, i would just do that. tbh, id be pretty po'd, too.

when you buy something new, you would like it to arrive in the promised condition and not have to be bothered with having it professionally cleaned and worrying about getting paid back for it.