Storing Your Collection

mharolde

This is primarily for members who have had their collections for years.

I feel like this may be a stupid thread, but I have had issues with long term storage so I am wondering how you do it.

I am asking because a while back I went to wear a shirt, not a hockey jersey, I hadn't worn in years that had been hanging in my closet.

There was a layer of dust on the shoulders that faded the material and the hanger left dimples on the shoulders.

Obviously I don't want this to happen to my jerseys, especially my gamers which won't be getting worn.

Currently I am using wide shoulder hangers and dust covers for the shoulders.

All of you with large collections you have had for years, how do you store your jerseys?

If you have had them hanging, any issues with the jerseys stretching over the years (shoulder dimples)?

Thanks...like I said, this may be a dumb thread, but some of you have tens to hundreds of jerseys and I am

curious as to how you handle storage.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know a lot of collectors fold them up and store in plastic bins under their beds. i dont have that kind of space, so i keep them in a closet. i have never had a problem with dimples or dust, though

All my sewn/customized jerseys are stored in my closet. All my blank/all sublimated ones are folded up and kept in two plastic tubs against my wall. The only exceptions are the heat-pressed Nordiques jerseys. I have those wrapped up in garment bags and hanging separately to prevent further flaking.

My game worns hang in a small enclosed closet off of my home office. I use wood suit hangers that typically don't cause 'hanger horns' because of the shoulder patches lining up or the neck being very large. It's a relatively dust free room even outside of the closet, so I think I'm ok as far as dust goes, and to keep the smell fresh (and to keep away moths) I have a piece of cedar that hangs on the rod alongside the jerseys.

I feel like this may be a stupid thread, but I have had issues with long term storage so I am wondering how you do it.

No, not stupid...excellent question!

All my blank/all sublimated ones are folded up and kept in two plastic tubs against my wall. The only exceptions are the heat-pressed Nordiques jerseys. I have those wrapped up in garment bags and hanging separately to prevent further flaking.

I don't, but if I were to store jerseys in bins, I would probably only fold mesh, sublimated jerseys. You never want to bend crests, patches, and twill, and even folding ultrafil can leave fold-lines -

2035968910105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

I don't know about you, but ironing isn't in my dna...

My game worns hang in a small enclosed closet off of my home office. I use wood suit hangers that typically don't cause 'hanger horns' because of the shoulder patches lining up or the neck being very large.

Ditto - Costco multi-pack of nice rounded wooden hangers $14.99

2756069130105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

I use 'em to store and display (except for the Coffee, 'cause the blue one matches :doh: )

2802650890105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

Most of my jerseys are hung in 46" garment bags -

2668490600105778501S200x200Q85.jpg

They fold easy for travel, and perfect length for the jerseys. As always, you can find them relatively cheap on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5642365148

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5642025487

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4a9ffb5e4b

How many jerseys do you put in each bag?

Normally only 1 to 3, depending on the jersey. For my late 80s all-stars, the shoulders patches are ruberized stamps -

2961350190105778501S600x600Q85.jpg

and on the Lemieux there's already a few little chips rubbed off. I put them in cheap, plastic bags, then put them in the garment bag so that nothing will rub on them.

For other jerseys that don't have shoulder patches, I'll put 2 or 3 in a bag.

These are the hangers I am using, wood wide shoulder.

Pros: Great shape especially at the shoulders.

Cons: A little pricey and because of the contoured shape they take up a bit more space.

hangerm.jpg

I haven't seen any evidence of moths or any other insects here in Southern California,

dust is my only issue. Rather than the full garment bag I went with these shoulder covers.

dustcover.jpg

For the garment bags, I was warned not to use the plastic/vinyl type as they tend to trap moisture.

They also have a heavy plastic smell, although I am sure that goes away over time.

I like the bags in slimcutta's first link, breathable and not made of plastic.

I may have to grab some of those.

I am not a fan of folding my jerseys and storing them in plastic bins, although that does seem to be a safe method.

I am going to need to figure out some sort of storage method, or get rid of all the regular clothes that are using

up half my closet space!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm not a long time collector (yet) but I came up with kind of a ghetto unique way of hanging my jerseys. I use the garment bags from Dollarama (Canada) as well as a custom made shoulder hanger. I buy wider hangers from Walmart (they are covered in a fabric like material), 5" styrofoam balls, glue gun and some fabric. Cut the balls in 4, 2 for each side of the hanger, glue them on then wrap them with the fabric (right now I'm just being ghetto and using hockey tap to secure the fabric because it seems to work really good, I want fix it up more clean later)

photo1db.jpg

photo2cb.jpg

p1020310v.jpg

p1020312j.jpg

I'm probably too lazy to go to all that trouble, but good on ya!! :thumbsup:

It's a great way to ensure the shoulder patches stay nice and round, and won't get bent/folded.

I don't have a large collection, nor have I had any of my jerseys for even a year, but I keep all of mine in my closet, in zippered garment bags. I have 3 that are lettered and 4 blanks, I keep all of the lettered ones in one bag and the blanks fit in another without any issues at all. I'm also have one of those cedar blocks that you hang up in a closet to keep the critters out, and I'm going to throw a couple of cedar balls in with the jerseys for good measure.

I probably need to get some bigger hangers for my jerseys, right now they're on normal-sized wood hangers.

Now that ive moved into a new house I have a new way of storing them. Bed Bath and Beyond has the shoulder covers that cover the whole rod and not just a group of 3 jerseys. My closets are not as wide as the shoulder covers so it doesnt extend fully and bunches up on the ends, but it still works great. I lined the closet with thick fabric to prevent any snags or pulls. Works great so far and you can still pull something out easy and admire it.

Heres the link to what i use.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17830660&RN=303&

Heres the picture of my setup.

2890345700104543675S500x500Q85.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I like the shoulder balls...great idea. We just recently got some wider than normal flattish hangers from bed bath and beyond and I always place the jersies in a way that the arms are forward so the patches don't get bent.

They are all in our living room closet and we wear our gamers as well.

• 5 months later...

First, if this is not in the right sub-forum, feel free to move it... I just wasn't sre where it fit.

My jersey collection is starting to outgrow its storage container, and I'm trying to figure out a good way to save some space so I don't have to just stop buying jerseys in order to make them fit. I'm moving in a couple months, so I've been packing a lot of stuff up in those space bags that you vacuum the air out of, and I wondered if anyone had any experience storing jerseys that way. My concern is that I'll make creases in the crests or numbers or, as I've noticed with some of my other shirts, that some of the color might transfer because of the pressure, especially on the white jerseys.

If anyone's got experience using these bags (good or bad), or any other suggestions on how to save some space, I'd appreciate it!

I have well over 100 Chicago Blackhawks jerseys-all authentics-either game worn or game issued....from Gunzo's gamers to the Reebok gamers now...

I got back into the hobby really heavy about 10 months ago...and before that-ALL of my jerseys were stored in the space saver bags...

I have NEVER had an issue....no creases....no color transfer...nothing wrong at all....

Now, I take my time and fold them in a way where I dont fold the Indian Head...or the #'s...but no issues at all....

Alot of my jerseys now hang in my closet....but alot are still in the bags...

Now, this is just my experience...you may get another member to come and say the opposite....but from my experience if you fold them properly and lay them in the bag nice-you'll be good to go....

• 1 year later...

I am just renovating my house and when its done, I will have a full size double closet of my own, first time in my entire life. I'm already concerned about using up all of my newly found space.

I have a fairly modest jersey collection (probably 25ish, maybe 30), I just bought a bunch, plus the rest are in storage so my count may be off.

I am interested in seeing what kind of space saving methods people are employing, short of just hanging them up like usual. Multi hangers, extra rods, etc. Anything you are doing to keep your jersey collection compact is appreciated, as are actual pictures of what you are talking about.

Oh, and I am not talking about a box in the attic, storage unit, etc. I want them in the closet.

Thanks in advance!

These: http://www.amazon.com/Breathable-dress-Black-Garment-LESSTM/dp/B004ZIXO8S/ref=pd_sim_hg_1 - Just long enough for hockey jerseys, I need to get a few more actually for my baseball and football jerseys. Each one holds 3-4 hockey jerseys.

I am just renovating my house and when its done, I will have a full size double closet of my own, first time in my entire life. I'm already concerned about using up all of my newly found space.

I have a fairly modest jersey collection (probably 25ish, maybe 30), I just bought a bunch, plus the rest are in storage so my count may be off.

I am interested in seeing what kind of space saving methods people are employing, short of just hanging them up like usual. Multi hangers, extra rods, etc. Anything you are doing to keep your jersey collection compact is appreciated, as are actual pictures of what you are talking about.

Oh, and I am not talking about a box in the attic, storage unit, etc. I want them in the closet.

Thanks in advance!

I had this closet put in specifically for jerseys when we had our house built. No issues with dust as its only for jerseys & I'm the only one who ever goes in there. The original builder-grade shelving/hanging crashed within 2 weeks and I custom-ordered retail-grade shelving/hanging and was able to double hang the one side of the walk-in plus the back of the closet as well.

011_zpsbc649e5d.jpg

007_zps25ecdea6.jpg

006_zps95952134.jpg

Also have face-out bars on the right-side of the closet for gamers and I use 'attachable' hangers that allow multiple jerseys to be cascaded -

009_zps3cd79e49.jpg

I hang mine in the closet on the biggest plastic hangers I can find. My authentics get worn on a regular basis during hockey season then they get washed and hung to dry. I've never had any problem with dust or the shoulders stretching. We do have a good air cleaner built into our home heating system so dust isn't a problem anywhere in the house. I do need to buy a stand alone rack becuase the closet wont fit many more jerseys in it.

DSC_0381-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Looking at the pictures above, I realized that my collection does not really present a storage problem. Gonna just hang 'em in the closet and not worry about how much room they take up. I may get some of those attachable hangers so I can cascade 5 jerseys on each and take up less space, not sure.

All I know is after 3 months in an apartment with only 1/3 of my stuff, I am ready to move back home and hang my jerseys up.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, do you guys have insurance for your jerseys? I've been trying to find a company unsuccessfully for a while now in Canada that would do it.

The general home policy doesn't cut it.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, do you guys have insurance for your jerseys? I've been trying to find a company unsuccessfully for a while now in Canada that would do it.

The general home policy doesn't cut it.

I've been wondering this myself lately, seeing some of these amazing collections

I thought about that (insurance) when the Bobby Orr jersey went for nearly $120,000 at auction, including commission. What kind of insurance does that guy have, or is the jersey left in a bank safety deposit box?

In my case, I have a 'personal articles' policy on my homeowners that covers my jerseys, as well as all my gameworn/game-used stuff - I also have spreadsheets detailing everything, with values, etc. and tons of pics for back-up -