Islanders New Third Jerseys

CJ Matthews

Here's a low blow to some of you on here (sorry in advance), but I noticed that a lot of the younger fans like this jersey. I love black because its slimming. I think it looks edgey. Like I said, it needs a badass logo on the front, like the Peoria Riverman logo, except have the captain with an anchor tattoo on his arm to get to a whole new level of badassedness. I am not a fan of the front crest/number on the front, but it doesn't bother me, nor does the blue helmet/blue and orange gloves (money saver). Its not as bad in person.

Im hoping to get mine tomorrow. I'll post pictures when/if I get it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to sound terrible, but where is the Modells in Oceanside lol? Im by the one in Green Acres. Also, Jack, can you please tell me the measurement of the front number? Thanks!

Here's a low blow to some of you on here (sorry in advance), but I noticed that a lot of the younger fans like this jersey. I love black because its slimming. I think it looks edgey. Like I said, it needs a badass logo on the front, like the Peoria Riverman logo, except have the captain with an anchor tattoo on his arm to get to a whole new level of badassedness. I am not a fan of the front crest/number on the front, but it doesn't bother me, nor does the blue helmet/blue and orange gloves (money saver). Its not as bad in person.

Im hoping to get mine tomorrow. I'll post pictures when/if I get it.

"bad Arse" and a creative/unique/attractive design can be exclusive. I think all of the complaints about the jersey have focused on the latter...

the logo you just described would've been ok 15 years ago, but the NHL got through their silly logo phase in the 90's, it would look very minor league-ish today

The Modell's in Oceanside just opened up. Its on the corner of Long Beach Road and Davison Ave. (It used to be a walgreens). The front numbers are 4 3/4'' and sleeves are 4''. (This is on a large replica) There is no A on the Tavares =(

Thanks Jack. I knew it had to be recent lol. I go to the Oceanside at least once a week and never have seen it! If you go to Stitches, I'm sure they will sew it on for you (I think the Coliseum charges $20 to heat seal a letter on)

Stahls sent me the kit and the numbers were all four inches (except for the back):(.

The NHL Store still does not have the black Isles jerseys :( (I have a store credit there, which is why I want to buy it there)

i can see the younger generation of fans liking this style jersey, but this is also the generation that fully supports Oregon's 9,000 different uniforms (8,995 which are ugly as sin), Boise State (they are about half and half on being butt ugly or nice) etc etc. The last thing I want to see in hockey is a bunch of tweaking things to make uniforms "hip" or "cool". The NHL and it's teams need to learn how to promote their game in an attractive fashion to nonNHL fans for the game to be successful, not by trying to get someone to buy in on the fact a uniform looks "insanely fresh".

If you want to mix things up, ok fine, but have some continuity to it and make it look flush. The diamond design on the sides, the arched logo, the shoulders being a different color, it's all too much going on at once. Keeping things simple is what ends up looking the best (IMHO).

"bad Arse" and a creative/unique/attractive design can be exclusive. I think all of the complaints about the jersey have focused on the latter...

the logo you just described would've been ok 15 years ago, but the NHL got through their silly logo phase in the 90's, it would look very minor league-ish today

Someone on an Islanders board put the Fisherman logo on this jersey. It actually looked decent.

Right, and even adding that to it would have given it some sense of continuity; a sort of new take on a (now) retro logo. The way it is now just seems out of place and half-assed.

And no one likes football numbers, ever. :P

Watched the highlights from the Isles games this past weekend and would have to agree with the blue helmet comments. Isles DEFINITELY need a black helmet to go with those jerseys. Or maybe even an orange one to make it a crazy look. :P But the blue helmet needs to go. Period.

Watched the highlights from the Isles games this past weekend and would have to agree with the blue helmet comments. Isles DEFINITELY need a black helmet to go with those jerseys. Or maybe even an orange one to make it a crazy look. :P But the blue helmet needs to go. Period.

I vote keep the helmets and ditch the jerseys. :thumbsup:

Yikes! :blink: Wow, that thing looks TERRIBLE! I'd take an authentic over that. :lol: Honestly though, you had to see the fakes coming, right? It was only a matter of time.

Sadly, with the grey areas now white and the contrasting nameplate, it LOOKS BETTER THAN THE REAL ONES. And they even managed to put the 40th Anniversary patches on it where the actual Islanders did not!

A rare PASS for the fake! :lol:

2 things:

1) It was stupid not to put the 40th Logo on one shoulder. If they wanted to increase revenue sales, if they made a special one year jersey w/ the 40th logo, people would buy it this year and then next year buy a new one (similar to the NYR liberty thirds from their 75th season)

2) The problem with the jersey is that the blue is only noticeable when you are closer to it. It looks better the closer you get to it.

Sadly, with the grey areas now white and the contrasting nameplate, it LOOKS BETTER THAN THE REAL ONES. And they even managed to put the 40th Anniversary patches on it where the actual Islanders did not!

A rare PASS for the fake! :lol:

It actually does look better. So sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to make the third jersey Streit, but decided against it. It will be Tavares'd.

I got the kit from Stahls, as some of you may know. It came with the "off colored" C. I was curious to what it would have looked like. I like the current version better than this (original) version.

IMG_9139.jpg

On the 2 yeah, I can't deal with little numbers. I didnt bother sewing the C because its wrong (its loose...I just wanted to see how it would look on the jersey lol)

Nothing is sewn onto the jersey. I'm going to bring it to Stitches and get it done right (semi-kiss cut, Edge nameplate, straight haha)