Member Projects

NYIJM29

As some of you know, I am trying to learn how to sew jerseys. I am making progress and hope to get my first jersey done by the first full week of July.

This seems like a good thread, at least IMO, so you can get support and share your creations!

This was my first strip and replace job. The new name plate is heat sealed, and I do not plan on sewing it down. EDIT: It was sewn down using a straight-stitch and it came out perfect!

Before:

IMG_6787.jpg

During:

IMG_6813.jpg

After:

IMG_6822.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

I bought a Brother sewing machine and have been using felt on towels as practice. I have a couple of scrap kits from Dangle Sports that I will try to sew together. If I can get that down, I will sew my kits (the extra "1" from my Kasparaitis fisherman, Grabner kit, TB #26 & A). Once the TB #26 & A are sewn together, I will sew that onto my St. Louis jersey. If I can finish that without any problems, I will move onto my Sound Tigers replica jersey, which will be customized to an Okposo.

Sounds great! Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

How come you don't want to sew it down?

It has the serged edges. It would look weird if there are two layers of stitching...wouldnt it? If the glue begins to peel off, I would sew it down.

Thanks again for the kind words!

I want to start wearing my DP jerseys again because he will give you a GU stick if he sees you in his jersey :thumbsup:

I want to start wearing my DP jerseys again because he will give you a GU stick if he sees you in his jersey :thumbsup:

He has to play in order for his sticks to be game used buddy :P

Every single nameplate used on game jerseys are serged before application. You could even go the extra step on just sew it on with a straight-line stitch right down the center of the serged area. That's how most team do theirs. Sew it down.

It is okay to sew down using a straight stitch? That's how the old name plate was on. I just stitch it right in between the zig-zag? If yes, I will try it tomorrow.

Would you recommend doing this on my other nameplates? Putting the zig-zag stitch around first, then using a straight stitch over the zig-zag? Or just zig-zag the plate onto the jersey?

Haha Matt. It was almost as funny as you believing Dany Heatley got traded to the Isles for Bailey, Comeau, Calvin de Haan, Casey Cizikas, and the Isles' First Round draft pick in 2012 :thumbsup:

You can use whatever stitch you want on the plates. I usually do straight-line when it comes to ones that have already been serged though BECAUSE OF how many teams actually do that. If you want to zig-zag this one though, go for it.

You don't have to be so delicate with the machine. It'll stitch through just about anything you can put onto a hockey jersey. They're surprisingly powerful.

Every single nameplate used on game jerseys are serged before application. You could even go the extra step on just sew it on with a straight-line stitch right down the center of the serged area. That's how most team do theirs. Sew it down.

What do you suggest you do for heat pressed numbers? I have a replica jersey with with heat pressed numbers that I would like to stitch down. Would it look bad to stitch right down the middle of the zig zag stiching around the entire number?

I just finished straight-stitching my DP!

Also, I need to say thanks to Ryan (Nogoal99) and Mike (Brilliant!). They both helped me so much. Ryan, I greatly appreciate those long, step-by-step emails!

No problem dude.

Sorry Brian, I missed that post. If you're gonna have them sewn down, do it in a zig-zag pattern right over the fake ones. You won't end up seeing it unless you're right up close anyway.

Keep it up buddy.

If any of you guys want to start learning how to stitch as well. I have all of the detailed emails I've sent Jeremy in my outbox I can easily forward over.

nogoal, I'd like to take a look if it's no problem. siouxjersey@gmail.com

My projects are a little bit different because sometimes I cut the lettering kits by myself.

This is one of my smaller projects. I posted it in another thread before but this is the thread where it belongs.

This is a handcut Capitals "A" I made as a semi kiss cut.

unsewn:

WAS_Capataincy_A_away_unsewn.jpg

pre-sewn:

WAS_Capataincy_A_away_sewn.jpg

Later today's agenda:

-Finish my TB Lightning St. Louis jersey

-Start/finish my Okposo Sound Tigers jersey

Just three questions before I start the Okie:

1) It is a semi-kiss cut kit, so should I just sew the navy layer down once, or twice (down the middle or once on each side?). I think on the Isles gamers, they just do it once down the middle. Can anyone verify?

IMG_6738.jpg

2) The kit is on some sort of paper and there is a strong adhesive on the back of the numbers...should I heat seal the numbers to the jersey before I start and sew through the layers while it is on the jersey or take the kit off the paper now, let the adhesive dry out and sew the numbers together before I sew it down to the jersey? Also, if I do the first option, do I start with the orange layer (base) or the navy layer (and if I should sew each side of the navy layer down, I would start with the outer edge, correct?)

3) Should I put a zig-zag stitch around the perimeter of the name plate and then sew it down using a straight stitch or just zig-zag that mf'er down?

Thank you greatly in advance!

If people respond, I will have something to post later lol!

You won't be able to pre-sew those sticky-back ones. You'll have to sew every layer down to the jersey. Make sure you keep your needle clean after each layer too because that gunk builds up after a while and can cause slipped stitches.