Member Projects

NYIJM29

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Would it be better to let the glue "sit" and dry or should I sew it down when it is still sticky?

I think the glue won't dry. Just press the numbers onto the jersey with a cold iron so it won't come off so easily while your sewing.

Actually, you won't even need an iron. I've sewn that stuff on before and once you stick it on the jersey, it won't go anywhere. The backing is pretty strong.

Here's a few jerseys I customized. White Devils ultrafil had some other team crest and number on it originally. Used the same template for a red devils jersey (not pictured). CCCP jersey was originally completely blank - made CCCP on front, numbers and name bar; name on back in mine 'transliterated' into Russian Cyrillic (I know they used the roman letters in 1991 Canada Cup but thought it would look interesting).

Names, letters, and name bars are all made from tackle twill. Number and letter sizes were guessed at from blowing up pics of game worn jerseys online and/or eyeballing pics and drawing approximations for templates and/or modifying existing fonts to try to match.

2326762680102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2208345940102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2803937290102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2577665940102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2815564680102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2128396060102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2504267130102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2671705640102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

Nice!

The back numbers on my Okie are down! (it looks crooked based on the position it is resting on the chair and also probably because I started at 12:30 am and finished at 1:10 am :thumbsup: ).

IMG_7121.jpg

With the sleeve numbers, how should I space them? (the 2 is there for show...I am only going to leave the 1 on when I sew)

IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

Great job! The numbers look like if only the blue and white layers are reverse kiss cut.

I always start with the nameplate and end with the back numbers. It's easier for me to center them when the nameplate is already sewn.

Good work guys. Man I wish I could do this stuff. I put a 2000 patch on a Bruins replica jersey once and torched the airknit around it. It was precisely around that moment that I retired from self customizing. I guess that is what I deserve for messing around in my Home Economics class in H.S. Oh well...but good work.

Great job! The numbers look like if only the blue and white layers are reverse kiss cut.

I always start with the nameplate and end with the back numbers. It's easier for me to center them when the nameplate is already sewn.

Thanks! I will try that way next time! It makes sense. I measured this with my Oleg Kvasha Isles jersey...never thought I'd take that out of the closet again! I guess I have to buy another jersey to practice on :D

How are 20West kits compared to Dangle? As I was sewing, I noticed Dangle's kits are not perfectly uniform and even.

Thanks very much!

Is it perfect? No. But it is good enough, much better than GSI customization (though, thats not saying much) and based on the results, it was not worth sending out, which I saved $30 by doing it myself!

I was thinking that too, but I thought they had to be lined up with the top of the orange on the back (where the orange on the side meets where the orange on the sleeve. I was looking at Nielsen gamer). Either way, it is fine IMO. It is my first customization and only a replica, so I can live with the way it came out. I can only get better from here.

Edit: The name plate also might be to small...looking back at the gamer, the name plate should be about an inch longer in height.

Later today's agenda:

-Finish my TB Lightning St. Louis jersey

-Start/finish my Okposo Sound Tigers jersey

Just three questions before I start the Okie:

1) It is a semi-kiss cut kit, so should I just sew the navy layer down once, or twice (down the middle or once on each side?). I think on the Isles gamers, they just do it once down the middle. Can anyone verify?

IMG_6738.jpg

2) The kit is on some sort of paper and there is a strong adhesive on the back of the numbers...should I heat seal the numbers to the jersey before I start and sew through the layers while it is on the jersey or take the kit off the paper now, let the adhesive dry out and sew the numbers together before I sew it down to the jersey? Also, if I do the first option, do I start with the orange layer (base) or the navy layer (and if I should sew each side of the navy layer down, I would start with the outer edge, correct?)

3) Should I put a zig-zag stitch around the perimeter of the name plate and then sew it down using a straight stitch or just zig-zag that mf'er down?

Thank you greatly in advance!

If people respond, I will have something to post later lol!

Wow, Jeremy, I am pretty impressed you are learning how to customize NHL jerseys. I have to admit I think that's pretty cool. That definitely takes some patience and serious skill. And I bet you understand you can save yourself a lot of money in the long run. Definitely post some pics (or keep doing so) on your work and how it turns out. I'd be pleased to see how it goes! Best wishes! :thumbsup:

Thanks Matt! Greatly appreciate the kind words! Might have an Avs Premier coming in that will be Duchene'd and I have a Flyers premier. Don't know who to put on the Flyers though (Timonen, Briere, van Riemsdyk, Giroux, or Pronger)

Don't know who to put on the Flyers though (Timonen, Briere, van Riemsdyk, Giroux, or Pronger)

Schenn

Thanks Matt! Greatly appreciate the kind words! Might have an Avs Premier coming in that will be Duchene'd and I have a Flyers premier. Don't know who to put on the Flyers though (Timonen, Briere, van Riemsdyk, Giroux, or Pronger)

Kimmo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I want to get a couple of Flyers kits...who would you recommend?

The Okposo will be finished around 11 tonight

Check with jksalez on ebay...I had 4 kits done by them. Authentic #s and letters. Twill namebar unless you want edge bar its 10 bucks more.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished two Sabres 40ths. My BOYYY McCormick and a Vanek with the A for my gf. Stitching the felt isn't as easy as it looked like it would be but I think it all came out well. Will post finished pictures soon.

2140729590106994228S425x425Q85.jpg2564458400106994228S425x425Q85.jpg

The number on the Vanek sleeve is wrong in the shot and the name font isn't 100%. Dangle sent me new ones free.

• 1 month later...

I am going to fix my Okposo's orange layer sewing. It is noticeable that there is some weird spacing, so gonna strip that now. Hope to get one number done tonight. I stopped doing homework :D

Anyone here who cuts their own twill? If so, what suppliers do you use, and for the one-time use colors, in my case I am looking for a teal, how much do you recommend getting for one set of rear numbers?

I really want to get one under my belt and the Belfast Giants, single color and twill name plate should be an easy start.