How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Just FYI -

Goof Off worked well on a Sandow-era jersey. I have to do a second treatment since I didn't get all the glue out and was worried about the Goof Off drying, but no damage to the fabric (100% nylon).

(No, it wasn't a gamer. :thumbsup: )

Edited by blurryhaze312

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BE VERY CAREFUL with the Goof-Off. The more you use it, the greater the chances of staining becomes. I try not to use it more than twice in the same spot.

Good to know!

It's all black material that I'm using it on...do you think there's a chance of fading, or just staining lighter material?

Would you ultimately recommend switching to straight acetone?

Edited by blurryhaze312

Can you guys please tell me which Goff Off you're using as there's different versions around?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to all the tips, documentation and experimentation of this thread. I was successful in stripping my Bernier Leafs alternate (pics a few pages prior). Goof Off works great, though I was a little surprised at how much vigorous rubbing (giggidy) I had to do to get everything out. The outer edge glue residue is a real pain.

I guess I didn't take many in-progress photos, and I already sent the jersey out to EPS to become a Nylander (why not), but the Goof Off I used was not the spray kind. I just poured some onto a rag and went to town with a towel inside the jersey to protect the other side. I'd basically do a number at a time, then use an iron and a ton of steam to almost rinse the Goof Off out of it. Repeat until all was gone.

Definitely use Goof Off outside or in a very well ventilated area, and I recommend using rubber gloves of some sort - stuff is nasty.

That's the method I use as well with almost everything.

Just to add to that, sometimes goof off won't do the job. In that case, use some pure acetone. I used some a few days ago on a red airknit. The whole kit stripped clean, save for the captain's "C". It left a brutal black glue stain and goof off was just about useless.

Acetone and a toothbrush had it gone in a matter of seconds to the point that there isn't even the faintest mark left. I added some to a glass bowl, put it behind the stain, and pushed the fabric in and scrubbed. Just like the goof off, don't let a large amount of it evaporate while on the jersey, you can risk it leaving what I would describe as a ghosting effect where it was especially on colors. I had a second bowl of water and detergent to rinse after, basically following slims method from the "removing heat seal from a jersey" thread.

And yeah it gets repeated a lot, but just be careful with any of this stuff, especially acetone. Use it in a really well ventilated area. It can knock you out in high concentrations, and it's pretty flammable. It eats through most cheap gloves in no time at all, but there isn't much danger to skin contact so don't freak if you get some on you, just rinse it off. Just be smart with it and there nothing to worry about.

Edited by JoeM7392

• 2 weeks later...

I may be in over my head on a 1.0 that needs stripping. Any helpful hints, or is it the same as everything else?

I may be in over my head on a 1.0 that needs stripping. Any helpful hints, or is it the same as everything else?

Same technique. Take your time, and I suggest hitting the area with a pilling shaver afterwards. The 1.0 jerseys snag like crazy. I've done about a dozen 1.0's and the stitching was ridiculously tight, so I'd take a break every half hour or so and come back to it later.

Yeah be very careful with the arms. The material pulls even if you look at it the wrong way so yeah pull off the numbers very gently if possible

I'll try. Maybe heat it up with a hairdryer a little to get it peeling.

Would be going from a double number to a single number too (2009 ASG jersey). I'm not even sure the jersey isn't fake, bad pictures and a low price so I just took a chance, knowing eBay will back me if its counterfeit.

Gotta love the eBay/Paypal return policy though.

I don't abuse it, normally it's not even something I think about, but it's there if necessary,

If the jersey turns out to be a fugazi then it's all good to use it.

Yup. That's the only way I would. Any other problems, those I assumed by buying it.

Having a bit of trouble on I think a factory applied all star patch on an '01 world jersey. I got it off and the middle is clean, but the edge where it was stitched down is being a pain. Goof off did nothing, a hot iron with an old to shirt got some, and some pure acetone got even more. But the outline is still hanging in there.

It's tough to work with acetone so close to the middle stripes as it wants to make the colors run, so I can't just dunk that part in acetone and scrub like I normally would.

Anybody have any ideas? I only have to do part of it, as the 2000 patch and Toronto ASG patch will cover about 80% of it.

Edited by JoeM7392

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellas...so I got the Lemieux small block home today and couldn't wait to see what was hiding under those numbers.

So the numbers weren't completely glued...there was a thin layer of adhesive on he outside edges of the number but no yellowing what so ever.

So I pulled one number and it left an indentation outline. I hit it with the steam iron and it came right out.

Now, I'm left with a shadow outline...any tips on how to blend this in? My guess would be a good soak in Oxiclean and a wash in cold / delicate?

Any tips would be swell.

Thanks guys.

20160419_194756_zpsi7gvusd5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seeking opinions on stripping a 2002 All Star (burgundy). Never seen another 56, so I jumped on it.

The customization seems nice and loose for the most part. Except the shoulder patches. They are glued/pressed only, not sewn. Would not peel at all from finger pressure, so I tried heating them up a bit with a steamy hot iron, and nothing.

My options are continuing to try, or trying to re-sell it as is. I'm not feeling adventurous as it was not cheap.

Anyone who has an opinion on what to do, would love to hear it.

It's a Sundin with a signature on the back 3 with a COA, if that factors in to your opinion.

Continued application of heat released the team patch somewhat:

E84FC45A-858A-4A96-804D-971BFCB97E66_zps

Could've been better, but the Devils patch covers it thusly:

69AF2830-55A9-42E1-A1D1-D6FC4DB2E077_zps

Good enough.

OK, so I have two white jerseys, one Ultrafil, one Airknit, that have very heavy black residue left from behind the numbers. I tried to iron it off, and it did not budge at all. I lack a workbench and I am afraid to really work with solvents.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know what EPS actually does when they try to clean glue residue? I can't decide if its something I should just send in and hope it comes back clean, or if I should try to hire one of you ninjas to kick the crap out of the glue stains. I'm afraid of sending it in, them saying "we tried", and it doesn't come off.

Anyone know what they do? Going to e-mail Josh also.

Don't be afraid of solvents. I'm pretty new to it, too, but I had great success stripping a white ultrafil jersey a couple weeks ago that had some pretty good glue residue left. I just set up the ironing board (work bench) on my back patio (fume hood) and scrubbed at the glue spots until they went away. Get yourself a can of acetone at Home Depot and go to town.

Edited by JoeM7392