How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

16 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I've gotten a lot faster than I used to be, but I doubt I could complete one in under an hour if I had to take off the nameplate, then remove the letters from the plate.

No no, if I were stripping the nameplate also it'd take longer. 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a seam ripper yesterday. The font on my 1990-91 Hextall is wrong and the back numbers are too small.  Hoping to strip the nameplate and back numbers and have new ones done, plus add 75th/25th patches to make it a 1991-92.  Scary prospect since it's a white jersey, but it'll be worth it to me to have it look correct.

4 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I bought a seam ripper yesterday. The font on my 1990-91 Hextall is wrong and the back numbers are too small.  Hoping to strip the nameplate and back numbers and have new ones done, plus add 75th/25th patches to make it a 1991-92.  Scary prospect since it's a white jersey, but it'll be worth it to me to have it look correct.

Let me know how it turns out I may have a project jersey for you 

Spent about an hour tonight on my Hexy. Got the nameplate off very easily. I got all of the threads out of the "7". When I pull it off (it's coming off pretty easily but I'm going slow) I'm noticing that on the edges of the number the air knit is slightly pilling. Not noticeable until you get about a foot away. Before I do any more pulling is there a better way to peel the twill off? Should I try heating it up a bit first?

Just now, jsh139 said:

Spent about an hour tonight on my Hexy. Got the nameplate off very easily. I got all of the threads out of the "7". When I pull it off (it's coming off pretty easily but I'm going slow) I'm noticing that on the edges of the number the air knit is slightly pilling. Not noticeable until you get about a foot away. Before I do any more pulling is there a better way to peel the twill off? Should I try heating it up a bit first?

I usually take all the stitching out from both sides before I attempt to remove the numbers. There is usually a stitch or two left in the corners. 

If there is no glue the numbers will fly right off. If there is any glue used I always heat them up with my steamer or hair dryer. I will use some tweeters or thongs and hold the edge in one hand, dryer in the other hand heating the number as I slowly pull it off. 

There is glue, but it isn't that bad, and it doesn't even appear to be leaving any residue. All the threads are out, it's just pulling the air knit at the edges when I peel the twill. I'll try a little heat/steam. Thanks!

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Heh heh.  Yeah, give it some heat.  The knit will recover from some pulls after you iron it, but you don't want to push your luck. 

Thanks. It's more pilling than pulling (like little tiny balls of fuzz). But yeah, I want it to look as good as possible. And this is my first time doing this, so I'm going slow and methodical. I think a little steam to the inside of the jersey will help the glue loosen its hold on the fabric. 

Hair dryer did the trick ?  Pulled that number off pretty easily with no more pills or pulls on the fabric underneath. Only left a very faint outline at the top of the number that I'm pretty sure goof off will take care of. 

Onward...

Jersey is all stripped.  Not bad for my first time.  Came out great.  Used goof-off first, washed, then finished up with Acetone and re-washed.  Steamed the hell out of it, too.  Left the sleeve numbers on since they seem fine.  Gonna drive down to Ruberti's tomorrow and have them do it up correctly.  Thanks for all the tips!

Before:

QwEIftj.jpg

After:

tZxDc3z.jpg

Edited by Legend in my spare time

I think that the discoloration you see is actually dye and/or adhesive that was broken down by the acetone and seeping back into the material. I had a little ghosting around where I used the acetone on the number outline but it came right off when I reapplied it and rubbed a little. 

I also had good success with applying a small amount of acetone to the inside of the material to get the letters on the nameplate to come up. There were just no corners or edges peeling up after I pulled all the stitching out but I got them to break free quite easily after I put a little acetone on the back. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2016 at 3:39 PM, LAK74 said:

I can't answer your question about what EPS uses, but I've had some success using Goof Off Super Glue Remover.

image_zpsyj0nojiq.jpeg

Took LAK's advice and purchased this goof off. Hadn't had the luck I expected using normal goo gone. 

First up was my Dawson Cubs jersey. Here is a before picture after the initial strip and before CSL fvcked up the customization

DSCF8517-vi.jpg

Here's the after; no more residue!

59499480559050-vi.jpg

Sadly, I still can't get rid of the impressions left from them accidentally sewing a name on it

32499480652899-vi.jpg

Next up is an Ultrafil Hawks jersey. 

Crap customization job 

49499481029859-vi.jpg

Initial strip on came off pretty well although there's a bunch of puckering from the name

43499480723837-vi.jpg

The arms left much more residue

19499480879083-vi.jpg

First go at cleaning

48499480968993-vi.jpg

Rear

16499480816957-vi.jpg

Obviously not finished with the ultrafil yet, but am more than pleased with the initial results! Will give both jerseys another once over and hopefully remove the remaining residue, then wash and press them in hopes of getting rid of impressions left by the previous customizations. 

9 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

32499480652899-vi.jpg

Just curious, is that black stuff (where the name used to be) still there AFTER you tried the Goof-Off on it?

38 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Just curious, is that black stuff (where the name used to be) still there AFTER you tried the Goof-Off on it?

That's just crap lighting. Not sure why it looks like that. Here's a better image. You can see the outline of the color and crest which looks like discoloration

44499484324987-vi.jpg

Edited by mdwsta4

OK, well, I'm glad it wasn't stained black- I was wondering where it would have come from, haha.  Good job so far.  That Goof-Off is the stuff I would have used if you had dropped the jersey off with me.  Kinda surprised those small dots haven't come off though...

22 hours ago, LAK74 said:

OK, well, I'm glad it wasn't stained black- I was wondering where it would have come from, haha.  Good job so far.  That Goof-Off is the stuff I would have used if you had dropped the jersey off with me.  Kinda surprised those small dots haven't come off though...

I didn't go over any of the name on the Cubs jersey when I posted that photo. Went over both jerseys again today then ran them through the wash. Can't seem to get the Cubs jersey's puckering down anymore although it's better than it was. Hawks jersey cleaned up a little better, but there are still some faint marks on the rear and the 'Y' shaped mark on the arm is still plenty visible. Not quite sure where to go from here. 

• 2 months later...

Any recommendations for loosening up a nameplate that was ironed down?  Goof-off/acetone on the back?

Got two on ebay the other day, and the first one came off when I found a pocket of nameplate that wasn't attached to the jersey itself - was able to slowly pull it apart.  This second one I'm not so lucky.

I would not suggest putting any Goof-Off on a white jersey to try and loosen numbers / letters.

In my experience, it did work to get em loose but it caused a black shadow of glue and ink across the whole back of the jersey.  

There is one less mint Sharks CCM out there

I would suggest either a steamer or chance pulling them slowly off and trying to clean up whatever is left.  

Good luck

The steam/heat method should work. I have never needed that, even, I have always been able to just peel them off. 

A little heat should loosen up the adhesive, assuming it wasn't glued on with some kind of stupid strong adhesive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice.

Searched for this authentic gators jersey for the last 15 years. Turning it into a Jason Williams jersey. Already have the numbers I ordered from EPS. 

Originally knew about the blue stripes across the front of the jersey.( Side panels must've been laying on top of it when stored). 

I striped the name and numbers, both have outlines stained onto the jersey. 

Currently in the process of using acetone but it's not looking like it's doing anything.

Any suggestions? 

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/whytewunder055/media/gators/E9776110-F552-4B18-AD67-D6B089C7ECCE_zpszmjngygm.jpg.html

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/whytewunder055/media/gators/A8C29292-5B15-46EF-B070-CC55FDB6E0EA_zpsyuw9svhm.jpg.html