How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

If that's in the fabric, not just stained glue on the surface, it might not come out. I've seen this a lot with old Rangers white mesh jerseys, where the red part of the front letters transferred dye during storage. I had one where I tried all of the recommended soaps and solvents, then let my dry cleaner try. It didn't even budge. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys, I was hoping to strip this and put a player on it eventually (it was personalized before) or sell it. The numbers came off with hardly any resistance, however there is some glue residue. Didn't want to go any further in the process until I asked around here first. Any suggestions for my next step? Iron with a shirt between, acetone, or one of the glue removal products? Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/gallery/5xeuO

I was told by Josh at EPS to NEVER try to remove glue with heat. Some will come off, but some will also be pushed deep into the fabric, never to return. 

Acetone is probably a better bet. 

Not that I ever tried, I pay EPS the extra $5-10 they charge to do it for me. 

What number are you going to try to put over it? I usually try to put a similar number, i.e. double digit strip gets a double digit re-do, and I don't try to go over anything with a 1 other than a 1. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I'd go in the order you listed.  Iron will help relieve the stitch outlines and potentially remove some glue.  If it doesn't do the latter, I bet acetone will in a jiffy.

So if I resort to the acetone, any recommendation of what exactly? I've seen some people even say nail polish remover works. Or should it be more concentrated? 

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was told by Josh at EPS to NEVER try to remove glue with heat. Some will come off, but some will also be pushed deep into the fabric, never to return. 

Acetone is probably a better bet. 

Not that I ever tried, I pay EPS the extra $5-10 they charge to do it for me. 

What number are you going to try to put over it? I usually try to put a similar number, i.e. double digit strip gets a double digit re-do, and I don't try to go over anything with a 1 other than a 1. 

Well, ideally selling it would be my first choice, but I understand that I'd basically have to make this thing look flawless. If I go with a recustomization, I'd be basically stuck with Stepan and Nash, correct?

I've been using the stuff on the left, and it works fine.  I think the stuff for nails is watered down already, and sometimes it's dyed, too.

files.php?pid=54502&aid=1016

As far as the EPS advice that mfitz mentioned, heat hasn't been a problem in my experience.  Best way I've found to get rid of the stitch outline.  I use a white t-shirt as a buffer, and I go quick with heavy steam.  I've actually only had one jersey where the iron also took off the residue. The rest I had to use acetone.

30 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I've been using the stuff on the left, and it works fine.  I think the stuff for nails is watered down already, and sometimes it's dyed, too.

As far as the EPS advice that mfitz mentioned, heat hasn't been a problem in my experience.  Best way I've found to get rid of the stitch outline.  I use a white t-shirt as a buffer, and I go quick with heavy steam.  I've actually only had one jersey where the iron also took off the residue. The rest I had to use acetone.

Nail polish remover does nothing at all in my limited experience. 

And heat does get rid of stitch marks, no question. Josh says it's a no-no for removing glue. But I know a lot of guys here have used that method successfully, just passing along what an expert told me. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And heat does get rid of stitch marks, no question. Josh says it's a no-no for removing glue. But I know a lot of guys here have used that method successfully, just passing along what an expert told me. 

I have had 2 experiences with applying heat to glue residue, where some of the glue seems to vaporize and disappear, but a film of residue is left on the surface of the jersey, which does not come off with either acetone or Goof-Off.  Maybe that's what Josh meant.  I'm not planning to do that anymore.

17 minutes ago, Kincaid521 said:

Thank you guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. So do you think it'd be a waste for me to grab some Goo Gone or Goof Off and I should just go with acetone? At least in my particular case. 

Goo Gone does nothing but make your jersey smell like an orange. 

15 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I have had 2 experiences with applying heat to glue residue, where some of the glue seems to vaporize and disappear, but a film of residue is left on the surface of the jersey, which does not come off with either acetone or Goof-Off.  Maybe that's what Josh meant.  I'm not planning to do that anymore.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  Maybe I'd be smart to stop steaming out the stitch lines before I do the cleaning. 

I prefer acetone over goof off.  I don't like the smell of goof off. 

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  Maybe I'd be smart to stop steaming out the stitch lines before I do the cleaning. 

I prefer acetone over goof off.  I don't like the smell of goof off. 

Any particular method you'd recommend for applying the acetone then? 

29 minutes ago, Kincaid521 said:

Any particular method you'd recommend for applying the acetone then? 

Whenever I use that, I make sure to put a towel inside the jersey, so that the acetone does not leak through to the other side. Then I use a rag, soak the tip in acetone, rub it into the jersey, and repeat. Then wash the towels and the jersey (inside out) together in cold water with a little detergent. Repeat this process as necessary to remove all of the residue.

2 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

Whenever I use that, I make sure to put a towel inside the jersey, so that the acetone does not leak through to the other side. Then I use a rag, soak the tip in acetone, rub it into the jersey, and repeat. Then wash the towels and the jersey (inside out) together in cold water with a little detergent. Repeat this process as necessary to remove all of the residue.

This is my method to a T

33 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Anyone ever stripped a baseball jersey with kiss cut and patches? Specifically the 2016 flex base jerseys?

I have done cool base before and the material is fairly close. Flex Base seems even more fragile so I would suggest going slow if you have to strip it. Any mistake and your in the smack dab in the middle of pillingville. 

1 hour ago, Committed said:

I have done cool base before and the material is fairly close. Flex Base seems even more fragile so I would suggest going slow if you have to strip it. Any mistake and your in the smack dab in the middle of pillingville. 

Are names/numbers strictly sewn on or is adhesive also involved?

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

1 hour ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Are names/numbers strictly sewn on or is adhesive also involved?

I would assume that depends on who put 'em on, but most professional customizers tack it down with the adhesive and then sew. 

On 2/2/2017 at 0:15 PM, Committed said:

After a closer look and the replies on here I am not pursuing this avenue. 

15 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

After a closer look and the replies on here I am not pursuing this avenue. 

I'm thinking that's wise. 

I recently stripped a white ultrafil, from what I imagine was a gamer from the mid 90s. It was white with red lettering. 

The jersey is a dingy as it was pretty hammered. Ive stripped and used what seemed like a few gallons if acetone and steamed out the stitch marks etc.  

From 2 feet it looks perfect.  However from a foot or so in you can still see the lightest outline from where the stitches were, still ever so faintly pink.  I imagine its mostly from the rest of the jersey yellowing and the numbers being there for 20+ years. 

It will be renumbered, I'm just torn between one more session of acetone.  

What is the final expectation on a white ultrafil after 20 years, is getting it perfectly removed unobtainable? 

Thanks!