How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

I've tried a few different methods and barely made a dent. Even went to a few professionals seeing if they had ideas. So far, nothing. I would love to strip those crests, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. On the plus side, there appear to be two options available albeit in limited supply:

1. Pro Stock Hockey was selling Jets practice jerseys and the crests are not rubber, but more of a screened vinyl which should be removed much easier. If they get a more standard color in stock I plan on buying one and trying to remove it.

2. Adidas schools have switched to the NHL practice jersey template and I've seen a few blanks pop up already. They're made in Indonesia, but have double elbows/shoulders and the material appears to be like the MIC stuff. It's definitely not the same as the MII jersey material. Fight strap is the cheap Indo version, but I don't care about that when I'm using the jersey to play in.

Just don’t get in a fight. 

18 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Not something I’m concerned about in the adult leagues I play on 

Well that’s not fun. 

• 1 month later...

So, I was having a hell of a time finding an Authentic Edge Utica Comets Green 3rd Jersey, so I pulled the trigger on a Premier and had made plans to doctor it up a bit to feel more like an Authentic, then sure enough, the next day, I get a lead and secure an authentic and now have it in my hands. My plan with the Premier was to remove the silkscreened shoulder patches and replace them with actual patches like what are on the Authentic jersey, add a fight strap, and then add the proper patches to the front. So, now I have the Premier Jersey, the patches and the fight strap, so my question is, has anyone tried to remove the screened on shoulder patches from a Premier before and how did it go? Or maybe the better question is, should I just have the nice shoulder patches applied on the jersey and sewn down over top of the screened on patches? The new patches are slightly larger than the existing ones....

Thanks for any help!!

On 9/16/2018 at 3:16 PM, mdwsta4 said:

Finally got around to trying to clean up the mess I posted earlier on this page. First pass cleaned up a LOT! Still got quite a ways to go including the sleeve numbers, but it's getting there. Not going to deal with the previous name as a nameplate will cover that up. Hands down the biggest strip project I've tackled. 

1537125156356-vi.jpg

What exactly was the residue left behind?  Looks much too bright to be glue, unless you manipulated the photo so we could see it better?

11 hours ago, blurryhaze312 said:

What exactly was the residue left behind?  Looks much too bright to be glue, unless you manipulated the photo so we could see it better?

It’s glue and vinyl or whatever was part of the backing on the numbers themselves 

• 4 months later...

I'm eyeing up a 98 Team Canada jersey, but would need to strip what's already on it. Does anyone have experience stripping the dazzle material on the arms? Does it get chewed up pretty bad?

Yes and yes. It's not easy at all and leaves a lot of pilling. I would recommend using numbers close to or identical to what you're taking off to minimize scarring.

Always wanted a Linden but I have an IIHF 90th patch for it...that makes it need Warsteiner patches. I have a couple on a Norway jersey but I think I'm at a permanent roadblock finding more.

• 3 weeks later...

I skimmed through this thread and tried the acetone suggestion and had overall very good results on my first ever attempt at doing this.  I’m just wondering, since some of the imprint is still there albeit pretty feint, would the next thing to finish it be to iron it a little bit?  I think I read earlier that it’s fine as long as the jersey is dry.  Just checking to see if anyone can confirm it helps and doesn’t ruin the jersey.

13 minutes ago, shilenj said:

I skimmed through this thread and tried the acetone suggestion and had overall very good results on my first ever attempt at doing this.  I’m just wondering, since some of the imprint is still there albeit pretty feint, would the next thing to finish it be to iron it a little bit?  I think I read earlier that it’s fine as long as the jersey is dry.  Just checking to see if anyone can confirm it helps and doesn’t ruin the jersey.

After the Acetone, I run mine through the wash with just OxiClean, then hang to dry, and then once dry I iron and it usually gets rid of most, if not all of the outline from the sewing impression.

1 hour ago, KB67 said:

After the Acetone, I run mine through the wash with just OxiClean, then hang to dry, and then once dry I iron and it usually gets rid of most, if not all of the outline from the sewing impression.

And when ironing I want a steamy setting?

Absolutely!

As much steam as possible 

Or at least that's what I do and it works out great. 

Steam won't hurt anything 

Just now, Hockey Bob said:

Absolutely!

As much steam as possible 

Or at least that's what I do and it works out great. 

Steam won't hurt anything 

Yup, that’s the technique. 

40 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I would recommend putting a T-shirt between the iron and the jersey. 

Yes. Lowering the temperature of the iron works as well. 

Thanks all!  Hopefully the ironing will flatten out the rest.  With some luck, if any very little shows after even that, it’ll be covered up anyway.