slimcutta

How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

On 9/16/2018 at 3:16 PM, mdwsta4 said:

Finally got around to trying to clean up the mess I posted earlier on this page. First pass cleaned up a LOT! Still got quite a ways to go including the sleeve numbers, but it's getting there. Not going to deal with the previous name as a nameplate will cover that up. Hands down the biggest strip project I've tackled. 

1537125156356-vi.jpg

What exactly was the residue left behind?  Looks much too bright to be glue, unless you manipulated the photo so we could see it better?

11 hours ago, blurryhaze312 said:

What exactly was the residue left behind?  Looks much too bright to be glue, unless you manipulated the photo so we could see it better?

It’s glue and vinyl or whatever was part of the backing on the numbers themselves 

I'm eyeing up a 98 Team Canada jersey, but would need to strip what's already on it. Does anyone have experience stripping the dazzle material on the arms? Does it get chewed up pretty bad?

Yes and yes. It's not easy at all and leaves a lot of pilling. I would recommend using numbers close to or identical to what you're taking off to minimize scarring.

That's what I figured. The objective would be to turn 99 into 16. Probably not a spectacular idea. Never see any blanks in red or white. 

I wholeheartedly endorse the removal of all Weiner Wayne lettering.

I don't mind some of his jerseys. I once had a Blues Gretzky...but it's like everyone who had a 98 Canada jersey f'ing put him on it. 

I'd rather have Rob Zamuner or Shayne Corson.

Always wanted a Linden but I have an IIHF 90th patch for it...that makes it need Warsteiner patches. I have a couple on a Norway jersey but I think I'm at a permanent roadblock finding more.

Where'd you get those Warsteiner patches?? Some jerk???

Some jerk who only had two!! People have needs! 

I skimmed through this thread and tried the acetone suggestion and had overall very good results on my first ever attempt at doing this.  I’m just wondering, since some of the imprint is still there albeit pretty feint, would the next thing to finish it be to iron it a little bit?  I think I read earlier that it’s fine as long as the jersey is dry.  Just checking to see if anyone can confirm it helps and doesn’t ruin the jersey.

13 minutes ago, shilenj said:

I skimmed through this thread and tried the acetone suggestion and had overall very good results on my first ever attempt at doing this.  I’m just wondering, since some of the imprint is still there albeit pretty feint, would the next thing to finish it be to iron it a little bit?  I think I read earlier that it’s fine as long as the jersey is dry.  Just checking to see if anyone can confirm it helps and doesn’t ruin the jersey.

After the Acetone, I run mine through the wash with just OxiClean, then hang to dry, and then once dry I iron and it usually gets rid of most, if not all of the outline from the sewing impression.

1 hour ago, KB67 said:

After the Acetone, I run mine through the wash with just OxiClean, then hang to dry, and then once dry I iron and it usually gets rid of most, if not all of the outline from the sewing impression.

And when ironing I want a steamy setting?

Absolutely!

As much steam as possible 

Or at least that's what I do and it works out great. 

Steam won't hurt anything 

Just now, Hockey Bob said:

Absolutely!

As much steam as possible 

Or at least that's what I do and it works out great. 

Steam won't hurt anything 

Yup, that’s the technique. 

I would recommend putting a T-shirt between the iron and the jersey. 

40 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I would recommend putting a T-shirt between the iron and the jersey. 

Yes. Lowering the temperature of the iron works as well. 

Thanks all!  Hopefully the ironing will flatten out the rest.  With some luck, if any very little shows after even that, it’ll be covered up anyway.

The A on my newly-acquired Lightning is not stitched on. How do I tell exactly how it’s attached? Once I do, how do I go about removing it if it’s heat-pressed or glued?

I swear I saw it mentioned here but can’t seem to find it.  Anyway, I have some slight pilling on a few areas of a jersey I just stripped.  I was able to clean most of the residue up and it looks pretty good.  I plan on customizing it but the number was a “2” and I’m going to be getting “19” so I’m concerned it won’t hide all of the pilling completely, although most will be covered.

Would a lint/fuzz shaver work on a jersey to clean up the pilling?  I don’t want to damage the material but I’m pretty sure someone mentioned this somewhere.

I bought a lint shaver, didn't have the success that others had but I bought a really cheap one. 

I stripped a baseball jersey recently that was ultrafil and used a Lady Bic razor on a hard flat surface, it really did a great job. 

*Ya don't press or pull hard, just let it glide over and it'll clean it up. 

4 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I bought a lint shaver, didn't have the success that others had but I bought a really cheap one. 

I stripped a baseball jersey recently that was ultrafil and used a Lady Bic razor on a hard flat surface, it really did a great job. 

He uses the same one he uses on his legs. 

;) 

I will respond in the same context

4 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Never thought of that.  Maybe I’ll give it a try.  It’d be cheaper than a lint shaver and probably just as good.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He uses the same one he uses on his legs. 

;) 

“Honey, can I borrow your razor?  I need to...umm...clean a jersey.”