How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I searched through some old threads and messaged a couple of members about stripping Game Issued jersey's. Although it was somewhat divided, many felt it wasn't a jersey foul. So I went for it. I first contacted the team to see if they had any blank 2.0's they would let go of, and no luck with that. So a GI through MeiGray was my last option.

Guys, my little nephew got a replica Hawks jersey that for some reason was customized with raised felt numbers, like on a soccer jersey (I think his dad took to a soccer place to be customized). After washing it half of the back numbers peeled off. They tried to pull them all off and they broke. The remaining portions of the numbers and name are still stuck pretty good. They have tried to wash again to loosen up but no luck. Any pointers?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody ever try stripping a 1.0 edge? Thinking of getting my Bobby Ryan fixed if it can be stripped safetly (by either me or the customizer)....for why its being stripped, its layered instead of semi-kiss cut and the back number is 3" too big

I didn't know they used layered in edge years? I was under the impression that it was sublistich and kiss cut? Plus this is on their 3rd jersey which is only kiss cut (I'm pretty sure). I talked to StitchesNJ and they are confident they can handle the job so I'm going to send it their way.

Can you strip one of the "off the shelf" replica Reeboks? I'm asking because I was at the Caps game last night and they're selling jerseys from players from last year who are no longer on the team (read: Varlamov) for 85% off. I was thinking that's a ###### good deal, IF I could strip it (or have it stripped by EPS, etc).

Picked up this Miller Moose jersey, and it appears the number is too low when compared with the gamer of the exact jersey. It seems like an easy strip, however the number stitch runs directly over top of where the fight strap. Anybody think this will be an issue to strip? Here are some pictures for a visual.

Mine: 2511795940107092053S200x200Q85.jpg Gamer: 2870326330107092053S200x200Q85.jpg

2731746300107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2168307350107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2629002840107092053S200x200Q85.jpg

It seems like an easy strip, however the number stitch runs directly over top of where the fight strap. Anybody think this will be an issue to strip?

Nope - rip the thread for the numbers only, numbers come off, easy peasy :thumbsup:

But if it's a team issued jersey, then why change it? Just because it's not the same as the other jersey? Often jerseys differ from one another...especially when they come from the team.

It is a size 52 actually, and that probably is the same seller. "Bidoncoolstuff"? He got back to me and said that he had bought it directly from the Moose, and that wasn't just a customized Team Issue, but Issued to Brad Miller. Have I been had?

It is a size 52 actually, and that probably is the same seller. "Bidoncoolstuff"? He got back to me and said that he had bought it directly from the Moose, and that wasn't just a customized Team Issue, but Issued to Brad Miller. Have I been had?

I'll say this... I own the actual game-worn Steve Maltais 1994/95 Chicago Wolves jersey and its a size 56 and the nameplate font is different than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicago-Wolves-STEVE-MALTAIS-Signed-Team-Issued-Un-Worn-Hockey-Game-Jersey-IHL-/290620659231?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item43aa57561f

Note the angled "M" on mine.

Mine:

1135750716_iWzMk-M.jpg

His:

DSC08245.jpg

Over the past three days I've tried my first go at stripping a jersey. I'm having some issues getting rid of some remaining staining/residue. Any suggestions?

First I tried Goo Gone... I didn't notice much of a change So I tried ironing it, in this picture I've ironed the 4 but not the 2:

VTv7S.jpg

This is after I ironed the two as well and used Goo Gone again... the ironing really helped to remove the outline, but that stain/residue will not come off easily:

UHx3g.jpg

I am definitely not getting any clumping of glue or anything like that when I use the Goo Gone. It doesn't seem to be making a difference at all, and the ironing seems to have run its course. Am I using the Goo Gone incorrectly? What exactly is the procedure for using Goo Gone? I've tried letting it sit for a while and getting right into rubbing the jersey after spraying... neither way seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Iron it from the inside after letting goo gone soak in for a few minutes. Put a towel down to absorb the glue. Use the hottest, most steamy setting there is. It should slowly come off. Repeat as needed. Im in the middle of the same issue. Black jerseys are toughest Id say.

Iron it from the inside after letting goo gone soak in for a few minutes. Put a towel down to absorb the glue. Use the hottest, most steamy setting there is. It should slowly come off. Repeat as needed. Im in the middle of the same issue. Black jerseys are toughest Id say.

Thanks for the advice. This is only my first try at doing it, but man is it a pain! It's so frustrating because I've removed 80% of what I want to get rid of, but that last 20% just isn't budging one bit. I've ironed/steamed and re-ironed with and without Goo Gone probably ten times on each set of numbers (arm, arm, back) now. I feel like I'm at a dead end here...

######, Im at a pretty similar position with a Koho black Caps jersey. I just got a new type of Goo Gone today and I will most likely be working more on it tonight. I will post pics if I get to it.

So I worked on it a ton with only a small amount of progress. The main issue is the glue from a Captains C... that stuff will barely come off. Im just going to keep chipping away but it looks like its going to be awhile unless there is something else I can use that I dont know of.

Are you using Goo Gone on it or Goof-Off? Because the Goo Gone doesn't really get the tough glue off as well as the Goof-Off does. That stuff is a little more hardcore. Just be careful with it. Try not to use too much in one given area because there's the possibility of staining.

Last night I tried Goo Gone Spray gel. I will look for Goof off. The Spray gel stuff had a lighter fluid feel to it. This is the toughest one Ive done - Koho Caps Air Knit.

Goo+Gone+Spray+Gel,+Non-Drip%2FNo-mess,+12+oz..jpg