How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Just wanted to say this board and this thread inspired me to get on ebay to find a fixer upper. Realizing now that this is a lot of work, lol. About halfway done with a Red Wings jersey strip and I plan to get it customized with a different player. I will post some pictures when I am all done, but I am just going to work on it real leisurely (not a ton of free time these days). Looking forward to spending more time on the board and getting to know everyone!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to say this board and this thread inspired me to get on ebay to find a fixer upper. Realizing now that this is a lot of work, lol. About halfway done with a Red Wings jersey strip and I plan to get it customized with a different player. I will post some pictures when I am all done, but I am just going to work on it real leisurely (not a ton of free time these days). Looking forward to spending more time on the board and getting to know everyone!

Excellent.

Welcome to the boards :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks slimcutta for the info/tip on 'My Little Steamer'. I grabbed one also, to remove the outlines left from my recently stripped Team USA jerseys. It works great.

I have a Chris Pronger 2009 Flyers jersey (black alternate) that might be a jersey foul....if it is, I want to fix it. When Pronger joined the team he was an alternate captain on a rotating basis. I got the jersey with the A on it, but as it turns out, he never wore the A in any game that he wore the alternate jersey. First...is this a jersey foul? I say yes, the wife and my friends say no. And secondly, had anyone tried the goo gone and steaming method on this jersey?

I have a Chris Pronger 2009 Flyers jersey (black alternate) that might be a jersey foul....if it is, I want to fix it. When Pronger joined the team he was an alternate captain on a rotating basis. I got the jersey with the A on it, but as it turns out, he never wore the A in any game that he wore the alternate jersey. First...is this a jersey foul? I say yes, the wife and my friends say no. And secondly, had anyone tried the goo gone and steaming method on this jersey?

Nope, don't change a thing.

pronger.jpg

Here is my first attempt at a strip. I bought this Doug Brown jersey on eBay for a pretty good price but didn't really want Brown (or care that there was an autograph on there...sorry Doug!).

Start...

7015920415_7cb56767e6.jpg

Unsure if I should keep going or just stop right here...

6869790216_54da66f355.jpg

Arm numbers didn't come off as nicely (also it's hard to see but there is black marker on one of the arms, this came off easily)...

7015920577_9a658d546d.jpg

Back is all cleaned up with Goof Off and then washed. Still see numbers kind of faintly but I have yet to iron it up...

7015899983_e29eaa60e1.jpg

Arms cleaned up great...

6869790554_ab1da21d51.jpg]

Not really sure who I am going to customize it with yet, but I want to pick something in the teens so I can just cover up the old one (had lots of great options back then, Yzerman, Konstantinov, Shanny, Kozlov, Holmstrom)

Edited by slimcutta

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for editing...I tried to put the pictures in there but was probably doing something wrong. Was thinking I might do Holmstrom rookie (and second year) #15 just because it would be real unique (he wore 15 until they traded for Dmitri Mironov near the 98 trade deadline).

Was thinking I might do Holmstrom rookie (and second year) #15 just because it would be real unique (he wore 15 until they traded for Dmitri Mironov near the 98 trade deadline).

Well shiet, you learn something new every day -

2122236290105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

I think that's an excellent idea :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys so I finally mastered how to strip a jersey clean and make it look almost 100% new. I know that Slim has the "How To STRIP A JERSEY 101" and talks about stripping a jersey correctly and also members added bits and pieces on how to cleaning glue of the jersey. So I put this tutorial up to help other, if admins feel that this is a waste of forum space please move my post to "How To STRIP A JERSEY 101".

So lets get on with this... I recently purchased 2 jerseys from a local collator and he gave me these to Kings jersey (Home & Away) both customized with his name "Chapman" and the number 69 :noway: . So I went ahead and stripped the black one following Slims tutorial and after I was done I was left with this:

IMG_2519.jpgIMG_2529.jpg

Here are the tools you will need:

- Acetone - This stuff does amazing things, better then Goof off/2.

- Steamer - This was recommended by Slip in his original post on page 8.

- Medical sheets - Can be found at any medical supply store or a thick towel.

- Sock - Yes a sock it works better then a towel and is much more confutable.

Here is what I have:

I got the ConAir Steamer for $40 of eBay, Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350567820380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_1848wt_1160

IMG_2524.jpgIMG_2523.JPG

Now start of laying the medical sheet/towel on a table and a second sheet inside the jersey like this:

IMG_2528.jpg

- Once you're set go ahead and open the Acetone but please make sure you are in a ventilated room with open windows and doors, if you can wear a face mask for safety that would be great. Then wrap your finger around the sock and slightly dip it in the Acetone.

- Now start rubbing the ares where the letters and numbers wear. Please don't over dip the Acetone or you will get the jersey really wet.

- Now after you finish this is what the back should look like:

-As you can see only the stitch marks are visible.

Before:IMG_2519.jpgAfter:IMG_2530.jpg

*** NOTE: Please be very carful with the steamer because it is not a toy you can get hurt and burn yourself.***

So after you're done just let the jersey sit for about 10min so whatever Acetone is on it can dry and evaporate. Now on to the fun part, go ahead and start up your steamer and hang the jersey on a rack. Place the steamer on the are where the stitch marks are left and slowly run the steamer up and down wile pulling on the jersey. The pulling on the jersey will realign the material back to its original form. After you're down this is what the jersey should look like.:

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

Now you might get a little shadowing on the white parts but if you wash the jersey they should come of a bit more. I normally fill up a tub full of cold water and I spray Resolve (green bottle) on the areas where I want and let the jersey sit for about 5min. before placing it in the water. I also spray some Resolve in the water but not a lot. After 5 Min. go ahead and place the jersey in the cold water and let it sit for about 5-10Min. then just wash it with your hands and rinse 3-4 times after you're done or till the soap is all gone and hang to dry. After every thing you should have a brand new looking jersey.

Later on this week I will post before and after picture on a white Ultrafil Kings jersey and an EDGE 2.0 Kings jersey for you all to see.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone have some additional tips on removing the yellowed glue that I discovered under a patch that was probably affixed over 25 years ago? I've given it a go even with acetone and went at it with an iron too. A lot of it came off, but there's still a substantitial amount left and it seems pretty stubborn. It seems like nothing even wants to soak in and loosen what's remaining.

It's an ultrafil jersey, btw.

Can you post a picture?

5c6ee737.jpg

There seems to be two things going on here. The yellow is whats left of a thicker glue. I've gotten a lot of it off, but this last little bit just won't. Then there's the clear looking stuff that is very thin, but pretty stiff. It doesn't seem to want to absorb anything.

I had a similar problem after taking a patch of one of my LA Kings home white 90's jerseys. Part of the patch just like that stayed on it and acetone did not remove any of it off also. I got a razor and scraped the glue of my jersey but first I put acetone on it then I scarped it. You can try that if you like but make sure you know what you're doing and just so you know you might damage the jersey if you press really hard. Just lay the jersey flat and scrape the glue off, take your time and don't rush. My jersey came out perfect, afterwards I steamed it and you couldn't tell if there was a patch there at all.

• 4 weeks later...

spray goof off on it first. will pull off flawlessly. you need to break down the glue or else you will do what you just did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey slim. Thought you could help with this (I asked on the how to strip a jersey thread but no one replied): I bought a GI NJD 11/12 jersey with the number 20 on it and name on the back removed. I plan on making it a Ryan Carter jersey. I have a nameplate on the way from EPS and would like to know what the process would be as far as gluing(what type of glue and the technique) and what to tell the tailor about how to apply it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use this stuff -

2989451200105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

But I'm pretty sure there's no one specific type of adhesive used across the board from suppliers, and there may not even be any reason to use adhesive if your tailor can slap it on without it.

That said, and since I'm not up to speed on most of the new stuff - little help fellas - are they still all using adhesive to apply plates and numbers? Will the plate from EPS come with 'serged' edges, and should it be serged? Is the plate just cross-stitched into place the same as it's always been?

Any of you young punks got any insight for this noob that I'm missing here?

2361124810105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

Sorry...I just love using that picture.

• 2 weeks later...

SGyee.jpg

At least he left us with words of wisdom, and I quote -

"There is always a way is the path to success, be confidence!"

As a matter of fact, it might just be time to update my sig :D

Hey slim I have a question that's somewhat relevant to this thread. I got a 2.0 jersey that has the Reebok wordmark patch sewn on somewhat crooked. And with me being super picky, I want to get this fixed. So do you know if the wordmark is glued on and then sewn on? Or if it's solely sewn on?

Here's a picture:

uE9M2.jpg?1