How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

After reading all the 21 pages of this topic, I decided to take on my first project, a white Sabres 1.0, before I send it away for customization. After starting with the arm numbers to get the feeling in I got more and more in the groove. The first pair of arm numbers came of easily, leaving just a little residue outline that I think will get away in a wash. The first back number went of quickly without struggle, while leaving an outline from the yellow part. I do hope it goes away without struggle later, which I think it will given some of the pictures posted in here. Half the jersey numbers + nameplate and captains C left to remove. But that will be for another day.

With that said. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked. I've never attempted stripping customizations from a jersey, and have read some good tips here and elsewhere I'm a little nervous about attempting it. The jersey in question is an CCM Ultrafil pro jersey from the late '80's/early 90's. The color is black with gold letters on the back, and sleeves are gold with black letters (penguins). I don't intend to re-customize it ... i was thinking to leave it blank. I was wondering with this style jersey if it's likely that there will be some faint traces of the customization if i leave it blank or if it's really not a good idea to do this unless i planned on putting a new set of numbers/name plate on it to cover up the old work. I'm also a bit nervous about damaging the ultrafil so any other tips stripping from this material would be appreciated.

Thanks

My advice, 
Go Slow! 

Ultrafil is the easiest to strip (in my experience) 

Get it stripped and let us know if there is any shadowing or glue residue and we'll work from there 

Invest in a good seam ripper to cut the stitching and if the #'s don't come right off try pulling the fabric or stretch it. 
Don't try and rip the whole stretch at once, you may end up pushing too hard and poking a hole in the material

Start slow and you'll get the feel 

Good luck  

Edited by Hockey Bob

I would only add, plan on re-customizing, or at least be open to it. Ever the best glue removal/cleaning job can leave evidence of prior customization when stripped. 

Besides, customized jerseys are just cooler :)

And with something that old, odds are good that there is at least a small amount of sun bleaching. That means when the existing numbers come off, the color of the material behind them is brighter than the rest of the body. It's not a given but it's a distinct possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Oxyclean works great on getting stains out, but for glue, get Acetone.  Just make sure you wear a mask and gloves - it's strong stuff.  But it doesn't leave a residue and it drys super fast.

I use Acetone first with an old rag, you sometime have to scrub hard, and you might have to go over areas a few times, but the glue will break up.  Once I get it where I am happy, I give it a nice soaking in Oxyclean and warm water.  Just let it sit in there for a half hour, you will be surprised at how dirty the water will be. After that, I throw it into the wash, cold water setting and the lowest spin cycle you have.  You should have a nice clean jersey when you are done. In fact, anytime I buy a used jersey, I do these last two step regardless of how clean the jersey looks to me.  Oxyclean is awesome at getting a jersey super clean!!!

Get butyl rubber or latex gloves. Nitrile gloves turn to mush in minutes with acetone and it penetrates even faster than that. Didn't realize how quickly it happens until I was working with it in bulk at work.

• 2 months later...

I came across a new one today.  I stripped a jersey, and you can tell they used actual glue to hold the numbers down before they stitched them.  Not the adhesive on the twill, actual glue.  I'm not sure if it was from a hot glue gun, or something else, but it has sucked to get off the jersey.  I went through almost a full can of acetone, but I got the glue off.  I going to have to go over it again to try and get all the adhesive residue off, and I'm not sure it will be possible. I might try goof off to remember the rest.  I just hope the proper lettering will cover any discrepancies.  I was going to switch numbers to a different players, but I am not sure that will be possible.  Anyone come across something like this?

I have a Montreal Canadians home white the looks like someone just hammered it with glue that resists everything I have hit it with (acetone, goofoff, thinking of trying gasoline and a match)

I now use it as a tester for new chemicals as I find them to see how it will affect the material

It's sad because aside from the glue all over the back it's a really nice old jersey.

On 8/3/2017 at 3:56 PM, spudrock512 said:

I came across a new one today.  I stripped a jersey, and you can tell they used actual glue to hold the numbers down before they stitched them.  Not the adhesive on the twill, actual glue.  I'm not sure if it was from a hot glue gun, or something else, but it has sucked to get off the jersey.  I went through almost a full can of acetone, but I got the glue off.  I going to have to go over it again to try and get all the adhesive residue off, and I'm not sure it will be possible. I might try goof off to remember the rest.  I just hope the proper lettering will cover any discrepancies.  I was going to switch numbers to a different players, but I am not sure that will be possible.  Anyone come across something like this?

I had one like that once. Turn it inside out and you could see the swirls of glue they used. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dr_Puck

Who has stripped a Meigray jersey before? I have two from my recent Keener haul, a gamer and a GI, that I stripped and had re-done. I need to remove the Meigray tag from the inside hem. Any issues or considerations before I perform the operation? 

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Who has stripped a Meigray jersey before? I have two from my recent Keener haul, a gamer and a GI, that I stripped and had re-done. I need to remove the Meigray tag from the inside hem. Any issues or considerations before I perform the operation? 

Like everything else, I seam ripper, and some patience. I've stripped every type of jersey you can imagine. 

I've never bothered to remove the MeiGray tag. I probably should.

Anyone know if they are glued down, or are they just sewn?

Edited by mfitz804

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've never bothered to remove the MeiGray tag. I probably should.

Anyone know if they are glued down, or are they just sewn?

Just sewn. 

Guest Dr_Puck

I'm removing the tags on the very unlikely chance I'll ever sell them. I don't want anyone to think they're gamers. The one was the Philadelphia Flyers Boucher (originally a Maxime Ouellet) and the other was the Binghamton Senators Elliott (which Keener has graciously agreed to fix and that was originally worn by Shawn Collymore). I just feel like it's a natural part of the process of making it my own jersey to remove the last vestiges of the old jersey. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2013 at 6:34 PM, Brilliant! said:

Stripping a Swift jersey is a nightmare. That stuff will show EVERYTHING and you can't iron it because the crappy material will melt under the heat of the iron.

I know this is an OLD post, but I am curious if stripping a swift can be done with some TLC and acetone, and not be a complete disaster in the end. I did get a namebar off relatively clean. The nameplate material on an old customization job was wrong and it came off relatively clean. I am hesitant to start on the numbers and may opt to just replace the namebar rather than go for a different player. 

For the record, it's a Denmark jersey I am hoping to switch from 8 BODKER to 51 F.NIELSEN

Sometimes customized replicas are significantly cheaper than customization costs for a blank so I figure I'll buy the customized replica, strip it, and then re-use those letters/ nameplate on an authentic.

How feasible would it be to strip the name and numbers off a replica jersey and re-use and sew on to an authentic jersey? Also, would there be any other considerations to take into account other than size of letters. 

1 hour ago, Zeshy25 said:

Sometimes customized replicas are significantly cheaper than customization costs for a blank so I figure I'll buy the customized replica, strip it, and then re-use those letters/ nameplate on an authentic.

How feasible would it be to strip the name and numbers off a replica jersey and re-use and sew on to an authentic jersey? Also, would there be any other considerations to take into account other than size of letters. 

It would depend on how they were applied, no? I have heard that pre-customized replicas sometimes have the kits absolutely cemented down, meaning they would be a b!tch to remove. If it was a kit applied by one of the usual customizers, it'd probably strip.

Whether or not its accurate would depend on who applied it also. 

And keep an eye on the nameplate material as well, it may not be the correct material. 

Unless you are getting the customized replica for like $20, it seems like way too much work and too risky that you might get a bad result. For me, anyway. 

So I would need to check if its customized properly, nameplate material, and that letters/ sizing is correct

If customization usually runs ~$80 to $100 then I guess it would only make sense to strip a properly customized replica if it costs <$50.

Plus you can save a little bit of cash on the cost of customization and sell the stripped replica to recoup some cash. Thanks for the answer.

17 minutes ago, Zeshy25 said:

So I would need to check if its customized properly, nameplate material, and that letters/ sizing is correct

If customization usually runs ~$80 to $100 then I guess it would only make sense to strip a properly customized replica if it costs <$50.

Plus you can save a little bit of cash on the cost of customization and sell the stripped replica to recoup some cash. Thanks for the answer.

Let us know if it works in practice rather than in theory.

What you are proposing just seems like a big waste of time.  Why would you bother investing the time finding a replica with a usable kit and then strip said kit with all the risks associated with doing that work only to save like $40 against the cost of a new kit.  

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

What you are proposing just seems like a big waste of time.  Why would you bother investing the time finding a replica with a usable kit and then strip said kit with all the risks associated with doing that work only to save like $40 against the cost of a new kit.  

This. Plus all the time spent stripping the kit off the replica. 

Some people have much more time than money. Saving $40 could be a big deal to him, you don’t know.

Plus if he’s like most of us, multiply that by 10 jerseys and it’s $400. 

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Some people have much more time than money. Saving $40 could be a big deal to him, you don’t know.

Plus if he’s like most of us, multiply that by 10 jerseys and it’s $400. 

this guy gets it