How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

That Pens one is a very rare case. It takes a LOT to get twill welded on like that. Whoever did that customization didn't want the numbers to come off at all. They probably pressed front and back several times to get it that adhered. They might have even sat on the thing to get that much pressure on it. In all the years I've been stripping (HA!), I've only seen instances like that a handful of times. Most times, letters and numbers do come off with little effort and can be salvaged. Crests are a different animal though. Usually the manufacturer works very hard to make sure those don't come off easily or clean.

Have any interest in taking on a few projects....? :-)

• 1 month later...

I did it twice. Neither time was successful. I would advise against it if at all possible. There will be scarring on that awful material.

1 hour ago, Brilliant! said:

I did it twice. Neither time was successful. I would advise against it if at all possible. There will be scarring on that awful material.

Ugh. What I was afraid of.  

• 1 month later...

Stripped my Oilers Jersey this morning, it came out perfect.

Edited by KB67

• 1 month later...

Ugh. Some jerseys I just have the worst luck!! This one especially. Only positive I can see is that the numbers were very soft and what was left on the jersey doesn't feel thick and is very flexible. I'm hoping that means it'll all come off a little easier. Still more time than I was hoping to spend on the jersey. If it doesn't come off clean I'm up a creek as this was supposed to be converted into a single digit jersey...

IMG_3822-vi.jpg

38 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Ugh. Some jerseys I just have the worst luck!! This one especially. Only positive I can see is that the numbers were very soft and what was left on the jersey doesn't feel thick and is very flexible. I'm hoping that means it'll all come off a little easier. Still more time than I was hoping to spend on the jersey. If it doesn't come off clean I'm up a creek as this was supposed to be converted into a single digit jersey...

IMG_3822-vi.jpg

Is that a Hawks jersey, or one of the Northeastern jerseys you picked up?

9 hours ago, KB67 said:

Is that a Hawks jersey, or one of the Northeastern jerseys you picked up?

Not a Hawks jersey ?

• 5 weeks later...

Does anybody have any experience stripping one of the CCM “NHL player” stamped authentics. Just won a 2003ish Carolina jersey customized with Cam Ward which he never wore. I’m guessing it was made for the never played 2004-2005 season. Got it for a great price so not entirely worried about it if I can’t. Wondering how bad the glue is.

I’ve stripped a few Kings 6100’s with the NHL Player tagging.  They weren’t the easiest strips, as I recall, with some residue to remove, but nothing that I wasn’t able to successfully clean up.  I’m not sure though, that all teams’ jerseys with the NHL Player tagging were necessarily lettered by the same customizer, so I don’t know if my experiences will mirror yours.  I remember the kits for the Kings were pretty inaccurate, and they used nameplates where they shouldn’t have.  This might actually have been better for me, as I didn’t have to strip individual letters off the back.

I just remembered I also have a white Nike Red Wings as well.  I thought about relettering it so I started to strip off the alt. capt. A, but after trying to peel off one corner I saw there was so much red color bleeding and residue underneath I said  eff it, and decided not to strip it.  This is the only jersey I own that I wanted to strip but gave up on.

I have a white ProPlayer that started that way. I re-did it with the same player and number because it wasn’t accurate (Brodeur).  It came 98% clean. 

Worse comes to worse I’ll just leave it. A guy had two CCM Canes NWT, one blank the other the Ward got both for under 100. Harder to find Canes authentics other than Edge and Starters. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying to clean up the mess I posted earlier on this page. First pass cleaned up a LOT! Still got quite a ways to go including the sleeve numbers, but it's getting there. Not going to deal with the previous name as a nameplate will cover that up. Hands down the biggest strip project I've tackled. 

1537125156356-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I was finally able to pickup a jersey I have been searching for ( Calgary Hitmen Home White ) and I have started the strip process. Side numbers came off clean, left a faint gold outline from the numbers, but I’m sure I can get that out. I then started on the name bar, what a pain in the äśś that was. This is where I have a question, and I’m sure it has been addressed in hear before, but the thread is long, so please humour me. The name bar itself wasn’t “glued down” but it had a lot of “tackiness” on the back of the name bar, which in turn, left a very sticky residue on the jersey. So, what is my first step to remove the residue? Acetone? Or Goof off? Then, can I just wash the jersey afterwards? 

Is it necessary to remove the residue?  Will a new nameplate cover it?

If it has to be removed go for acetone first and see what happens.  Yes, you can wash the jersey afterwards.  Cold water only and on the delicate cycle, then hang to dry.   DO NOT put it in the dryer.

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

Is it necessary to remove the residue?  Will a new nameplate cover it?

If it has to be removed go for acetone first and see what happens.  Yes, you can wash the jersey afterwards.  Cold water only and on the delicate cycle, then hang to dry.   DO NOT put it in the dryer.

I think the name bar will be slightly shorter, but not much, the one that was on there stretched nearly across the entire back. I’ll try the Acetone this morning and see how it goes.

5 hours ago, KB67 said:

I think the name bar will be slightly shorter, but not much, the one that was on there stretched nearly across the entire back. I’ll try the Acetone this morning and see how it goes.

So, I used the Acetone on the faint outline of the numbers and then actually used those Goo B Gone Wipes and it took off all the sticky residue from where the nameplate was......so I should be good.

17 hours ago, AlereFlammam said:

Anyone tried to remove heat pressed vinyl before? 

Thinking about trying to remove a crest from a MIC adidas practice jersey. 

Many have tried, I have yet to hear of anyone having success.

Sorry

No matter what you do, there will always be a residue left behind.  At the sporting goods company my wife used to work at, there was a chemical they could use to remove it, but even that stuff you could still see where the vinyl was.  It was only if they were going to press over top of it, or if they had to remove a very small amount.  A whole vinyl crest would not look good, and would be crazy time consuming.

Edited by spudrock512

18 hours ago, AlereFlammam said:

Anyone tried to remove heat pressed vinyl before? 

Thinking about trying to remove a crest from a MIC adidas practice jersey. 

I've tried a few different methods and barely made a dent. Even went to a few professionals seeing if they had ideas. So far, nothing. I would love to strip those crests, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. On the plus side, there appear to be two options available albeit in limited supply:

1. Pro Stock Hockey was selling Jets practice jerseys and the crests are not rubber, but more of a screened vinyl which should be removed much easier. If they get a more standard color in stock I plan on buying one and trying to remove it.

2. Adidas schools have switched to the NHL practice jersey template and I've seen a few blanks pop up already. They're made in Indonesia, but have double elbows/shoulders and the material appears to be like the MIC stuff. It's definitely not the same as the MII jersey material. Fight strap is the cheap Indo version, but I don't care about that when I'm using the jersey to play in.