How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've often thought something like that would be a good idea, 
You could almost thread it under the top stitching and use a razor against the crochet needle 
Probably wouldn't work if the stitching was really small or tight 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I have stripped somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 jerseys, and usually the easiest ones were the Canucks MIC Adidas ones with the single layer twill Numbers. I am working on two current ones right now, an MIC Military Jersey and an MIC Skate Jersey. Both of them have an obscene amount of adhesive/residue when I pulled off the numbers.  I have tried some Acetone, and the adhesive didn’t budge, and then I tried Goof Off, with similar results. Anyone have any further tips for me, or should i cut my losses and just out back on the same number that i removes?

Stripping the MIC’s

Stripping the MIC’s

These Canucks ones used to be so easy. It’s like they’ve changed the way they apply the numbers or at least started using numbers that have a ton more adhesive to them.

I've had a few similar to yours, And they are a hot mess that will take many frustrating applications of acetone  
If you ask my advice... I'd reach out to that guy on FB (Mongo's restoration) and see what he charges. 
Sometimes it's best to save your aggravation and let someone else do it. 

**I've shared a few tips with Mongo's when I saw him posting problems - when I asked him for help on something I saw he was able to clean up all I got back was "If I give away trade secrets I'll be out of business" 
Thought it was kinda a lame move when I've given him advice but I guess that's on me. 

22 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've had a few similar to yours, And they are a hot mess that will take many frustrating applications of acetone  
If you ask my advice... I'd reach out to that guy on FB (Mongo's restoration) and see what he charges. 
Sometimes it's best to save your aggravation and let someone else do it. 

**I've shared a few tips with Mongo's when I saw him posting problems - when I asked him for help on something I saw he was able to clean up all I got back was "If I give away trade secrets I'll be out of business" 
Thought it was kinda a lame move when I've given him advice but I guess that's on me. 

Do you have an email address to contact him at? I don’t have Facebook, but was able to peruse his page and he seems to do a great job. Do you happen to know about how much he charges, or does it really depend on the difficulty of the job?

Edited by KB67

I’ve used him recently.  His rate was $20/hr and 5 hour minimum.  If you’re in Canada you’ll need someone in the US to have him ship the jersey back to because he won’t ship anywhere outside the US.  I don’t have Facebook either so I contacted him through the Facebook messenger app and used my Instagram login.  He wouldn’t correspond with me in any other way like email etc.

judging by pics of some of the other stuff he’s done I think he’d be able to clean those up. 

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

I’ve used him recently.  His rate was $20/hr and 5 hour minimum.  If you’re in Canada you’ll need someone in the US to have him ship the jersey back to because he won’t ship anywhere outside the US.  I don’t have Facebook either so I contacted him through the Facebook messenger app and used my Instagram login.  He wouldn’t correspond with me in any other way like email etc.

judging by pics of some of the other stuff he’s done I think he’d be able to clean those up. 

EPS does it for $10-20 flat, depending on how bad it is. Of course that’s only if they are re-customizing. 

Minimum of $100 sounds like a lot to me. 

Edited by mfitz804

I shot him a message asking for and email or phone # this was his response

"Unfortunately, no, at this time, my preferred method of communication is FB Messenger. I realize that some people are adamantly against FB for various reasons, but in order to have an active conversation with my clients and keep all details centrally located, I must insist that he/she reach out to me here." 

39 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

EPS does it for $10-20 flat, depending on how bad it is. Of course that’s only if they are re-customizing. 

Minimum of $100 sounds like a lot to me. 

How is EPS success rate with stripping with something like what I have? They don’t really promote their strip work. Anyone have success stories with any leftover adhesive similar to what I have here?

2 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

What's the name of that graffiti remover you told me about a while back? I remember that I looked for it, but it only appeared to be sold in Canada, and shipping was going to triple the price.

1 hour ago, KB67 said:

How is EPS success rate with stripping with something like what I have? They don’t really promote their strip work. Anyone have success stories with any leftover adhesive similar to what I have here?

On non-white jerseys, I’ve never had an instance they couldn’t remove all of the residue. 

On white ones, I’ve had some come back with traces.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

What's the name of that graffiti remover you told me about a while back? I remember that I looked for it, but it only appeared to be sold in Canada, and shipping was going to triple the price.

I believe you are looking for Goof Off graffiti remover. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I believe this is the one that was mentioned a while ago, and I believe it was purchased from Acklands Granger.

Graffiti Remover

23 hours ago, KB67 said:

These Canucks ones used to be so easy. It’s like they’ve changed the way they apply the numbers or at least started using numbers that have a ton more adhesive to them.

Given the Canucks' attitude of not wanting fans to get what they want (IE: anniversary patches), it would not surprise me in the least if the Canucks know some fans have bought their used/issued MIC jerseys to strip them and have started to cake their numbers on so it makes it as difficult as possible for us to do so.

1 minute ago, Van67 said:

Given the Canucks' attitude of not wanting fans to get what they want (IE: anniversary patches), it would not surprise me in the least if the Canucks know some fans have bought their used/issued MIC jerseys to strip them and have started to cake their numbers on so it makes it as difficult as possible for us to do so.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that is what is happening. I know for a fact one of the store workers had an account and lurks on the r/hockeyjerseys subreddit, so I’m sure they’re on to it. It’s weird though, my 70’s Retro MIC was a bîtch to strip, then the 80’s Retro V was a piece of cake, literally the easiest strip I’ve ever done, and now this Military and Skate Jersey are again absolutely caked on. Beyond frustrating.

Are you sure they care though? SLC (Leafs customizer) has done kits for MIC Leafs stuff and never cares. They know the only way to get them is through GI jerseys.

EPS has stripped and re-customized their own stuff as well that was GI.

5 hours ago, furiousd said:

3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I believe you are looking for Goof Off graffiti remover. 

3 hours ago, KB67 said:

I believe this is the one that was mentioned a while ago, and I believe it was purchased from Acklands Granger.

Graffiti Remover

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

It might have been that CRC stuff, but I thought it had a catchier name. Definitely not Goof Off.

It’s actually called fight back and it comes in a white can.

image.jpeg.4b722cead1f4c61a8bcc621c787306f1.jpeg

19 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

It’s actually called fight back and it comes in a white can.

image.jpeg.4b722cead1f4c61a8bcc621c787306f1.jpeg

And what was the process for you when using this Fight Back? Spray it on the adhesive, and let it soak in and sit for how long? Then just scrub with a cloth or something?

45 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Are you sure they care though? SLC (Leafs customizer) has done kits for MIC Leafs stuff and never cares. They know the only way to get them is through GI jerseys.

EPS has stripped and re-customized their own stuff as well that was GI.

I think they care. The Canucks have a real bad attitude when it comes to retail. I was still working in the licensed sports industry when it was their 40th anniversary. My company had so much trouble selling the white retro jerseys they wore that season because they didn't have the patches and the Canucks refused to sell the company I worked for any so we could make those fans happy. Why the Canucks don't want to have their anniversary patches available for sale like so many other teams do, I cannot figure out. There's no logical answer as to why the Canucks would care that fans will strip worn/issued jerseys, but there's no logical answer for why they refuse to sell patches that aren't attached to a $200 replica jersey either. 

1 hour ago, Van67 said:

I think they care. The Canucks have a real bad attitude when it comes to retail. I was still working in the licensed sports industry when it was their 40th anniversary. My company had so much trouble selling the white retro jerseys they wore that season because they didn't have the patches and the Canucks refused to sell the company I worked for any so we could make those fans happy. Why the Canucks don't want to have their anniversary patches available for sale like so many other teams do, I cannot figure out. There's no logical answer as to why the Canucks would care that fans will strip worn/issued jerseys, but there's no logical answer for why they refuse to sell patches that aren't attached to a $200 replica jersey either. 

Weren’t they also one of the only teams to order MIC’s for sale to fans?

That’s what I thought. Jets used to as well but stopped for whatever reason. I assume Adidas stepped in and power tripped that. 

Edited by Phil the Thrill

The Canucks have definitely not ordered MIC Adidas jerseys to sell to fans. Last year, I managed to convince the equipment manager to sell me a blank, but he wanted $500 CAD, which was out of my range at the time.

21 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

That’s what I thought. Jets used to as well but stopped for whatever reason. I assume Adidas stepped in and power tripped that. 

Maybe I had my Canadian teams confused.