How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Maybe goof-off? Thats pretty funky looking. It looks like it would almost peel off? Have you tried ironing with a shirt over top?

It will almost peel off in tiny tiny pieces except for the stuff on the arms. I've tried the t shirt iron technique and it it almost smoke hit and it just turns the stuff clear and lightly sticky. I thought about trying the boiling water technique. I'm just wondering how acetone is going to break it down when it seems so strong.

Yeah I would do goof off and start on the sleeves. It should break it down and youll have to wipe it off and absorb it onto the rag youre wiping with. It will be a pain but I bet you can get it.

Goof off didn't hurt it at all. Took an iron straight to the glue and was about the only way the hard clue would break. Still didn't do much of anything to the glue after that. Hopefully I didn't scorch the fabric.

There is a difference between Goof-off and Goo Gone. If you used the spray can Goof Off and it didnt work, then you might be in a hole. I dont think Goo Gone would do anything for that stuff.

• 4 months later...

Long-time IJ fan, first post here.

Probably covered before, but a lot of the pics from the earlier pages of the thread don't seem to exist anymore.

My problem: have a Geno Malkin Winter Classic (the baby blue vs. Buffalo version) that had an 'A' on it. Malkin didn't have an 'A' at the Classic so I took it off, but it seems like the letter was heat-pressed on a little before getting stiched. I've taken the letter off, but there seems to be some white glue residue still on the jersey. You can faintly see the outline of where the A used to be.

My question: how do I get rid of that residue without ruining the jersey?

Any help/tips appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, found the HEAT SEAL thread... though as a first-time user of acetone, any helpful tips?

A lot of folks are terrified the first time, especially with ink when they start cleaning an area if/when they use a large amount all at once, and the acetone spreads everything out. At first it'll seemingly make things worse.

When breaking down adhesive or ink, acetone will spread the colors around depending on the area you cover. Put the acetone in a small bowl, and just grab a soft toothbrush and dip a bit at a time, and start scrubbing a small area. Work your way out as you go, and you'll get used to it.

The one thing I find is that it dries relatively quick, and if you let it dry it'll create a circle similar to a water stain. After I've done a small area, I'll go over the edges of that area with new/fresh acetone, just before cleaning/rinsing the entire area to try avoid the dried water spot effect.

Trial and error, dude - you'll get the hang of it.

FYI - the pics are missing because stupid webshots went down, and I haven't uploaded all the pics to my new pic provider yet...I'm lazy :(

• 3 months later...

I'm going to attempt my first strip job in about a week. I have the seam ripper, just trying to find Goof Off and then I'm gonna go to work. I'll update here during/after.

• 4 weeks later...

So how hard would stripping a Premier be? I'm thinking of grabbing one of the cheap Thomases or Seguins from fullmoon on ebay to turn into a Ference. Sort of want to replace the shoulder patches as well.

So how hard would stripping a Premier be? I'm thinking of grabbing one of the cheap Thomases or Seguins from fullmoon on ebay to turn into a Ference. Sort of want to replace the shoulder patches as well.

I wouldn't bother. Those are factory customized, and the glue would be impossible to remove without leaving something behind. You can find a blank premiere cheap enough for any team on eBay if you look hard enough.

Sort of what I was figuring.

• 2 weeks later...

Stripping a Swift jersey is a nightmare. That stuff will show EVERYTHING and you can't iron it because the crappy material will melt under the heat of the iron.

Considering there's no nameplate (meaning you have to strip each letter individually and hope that no letters stain or leave residue) and it doesn't seem to be a true steal at that price ($120) anyway, I would pass. Granted, maybe that jersey is more rare/difficult to find/expensive than I am aware, in which case maybe it's worth the effort.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you got a replica, you probably got the heat-pressed (non-stitched) screened customization, right? If so, almost nobody except for NHL.com (fortunately) seems to use that type of lettering, so you'd probably have to send it back to them to have it done, if you want it to match. It remains to be seen how easy it will be to actually remove the C- stitched twill characters would probably be a lot easier to remove than that heat-pressed rubbery crap they use.

Oh my GOD. That is a prime example of why you never buy anything from NHL.com. The whole name is wrong.

Yeh that's all wrong. Here's some examples on what the issues are:

rangers_arch.png

Here's a McDonagh game issue for reference:

mcdonagh_2012sc_gi_b_sm.jpg