Autograph Jerseys - who collects?

Easto

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a big fan of autographs in general whether it's on cards or jerseys etc. I personally think autographs decrease the value in every item since I could careless about autos and would rather prefer the item in its original state. I'm not going to name names but there was a particular jersey that I was interested in sometime ago that I made an offer, I feel like I made a fair offer but he shoots back at me because it has an autograph on it and counter offers 2x the price from my original offer. The jersey was team issued (blank) but it was customized by a third party that was NOT correctly customized. I didn't even bother replying back.

I'm not a huge fan of autos on jerseys or cards either, but I do like to get pucks signed. A puck in it's original state is worthless, as compared to a jersey or a card. I got most of the Rangers from last season on pucks, and right now they're sitting in a row in front of my TV. I'm hoping to get Adam Graves autograph next weekend at the Rangers training facility.

Cowboy, how much did Mario Lemieux charge for a jersey signing?

Were you able to send out out own jersey to get signed? Did you have to purchase one of their jerseys to be signed? Were you able to get it signed in person?

Places like AJ Authentics and Frozen Pond have in person signings at their respective locations, but you're also able to send in something (jerseys/pucks/mcfarlane bases etc etc) you want signed. Prices vary for who and for what, so you should check out their websites.

As for paying for autographs...Yes the prices can be ludicrous at times, but if it's worth it to you, who cares what you spend? Another thing to factor in is that some players just won't sign autographs before or after road games/practices or at the airport. If that's the case, then you have to rely on these signings. I don't necessarily blame the players either, because of all the jerk autograph hounds in every city who harass these guys for autographs and then turn around and sell them. If I was a player I'd be choked some loser living in his mom's basement is making a buck off of me and I wasn't! Yes I wait around the same places as these guys, but it's not my job, I don't sell any of them, and I only ever ask (politely) for one autograph. If a player declines it sucks, but that's his prerogative.

I know you jersey collectors can be a picky bunch, but I don't see how a players signature (especially if the jersey is stitched with his name and number) can hurt the value of it. I figure it should only increase it, because it's *the* guy's signature on his jersey. Plus having it on a number on the back looks awesome, especially for displaying!

I have a bunch of signed jerseys... only two were purchased. The rest were signed in person, for free, waiting after games or going to carnivals or Meet the Team Events.

I have:

2010 Winter Classic Flyers jersey signed by:

Asham

Backlund

Bartulis

Betts

Boucher

Briere

Carcillo

Carter

Carle

Coburn

Cote

Duchesne

Emery

Gagne

Giroux

Hartnell

Kalinski

Laliberte

Laperriere

Leighton

Leino

Nodl

Parent

Powe

Pronger

Pyorala

Richards

Ross

Syvret

Timonen

Tollefsen

van Riemsdyk

GM - Holmgren

Coach - Stevens

Coach - Laviolette

I had to send this jersey away to get Ross and Duchesne, and I will for the last player that I need (Lukas Krajicek)... Then it will have everyone who played in the regular season or playoffs for the Flyers in 2009-2010. That was my first year as a season ticket holder, and I wanted to commemorate it with this awesome project.

2003 All Star Game Heatley

2002 Black Flyers Roenick

1990's Red Blackhawks Roenick

Couple of other Flyers jerseys with random signatures on them.

Then I have a ton of autographed pucks as well.

How do you guys get signatures in person at the games?

Where do you go?

How do you know where to go?

How long before/after the game are you there?

How do you ask for the signature?

Basically anyone that gets signatures can you fill me in on the way you do it.

How do you guys get signatures in person at the games?

Where do you go?

How do you know where to go?

How long before/after the game are you there?

How do you ask for the signature?

Basically anyone that gets signatures can you fill me in on the way you do it.

Even though you are a Pens fan, I will help you. (I think my least favorite team in the NHL now is the Pens after what transpired this past week, but anyway, I digress)

Nassau Coliseum

They have 3 spots. The underground ramp, VIP/dropoff area, and the Mariott entrance. The ramp and VIP entrance are on the same side of the Coli and span from about Gates 1-4 if you are inside the Coli (you need to walk out of the Coli). If you want visiting team players, there is a walkway from the Mariott to the Coliseum and you can wait there (I am going to start doing that next year after my classes!)

Supposedly people get to the Mariott between 3 and 4 for autos (for night games, though players don't need to be at the Coli until 5:30I think). The visiting team practices from 9:30 to 10:30am last I heard, so they leave the Coli at 11:30 to go back to the Mariott after AM skates. After games, they have a bus. With the Isles, you wait by the parking ramp. Most players park there, while some park above ground in the VIP lot (which anyone can walk to). If they wanna sign, they will pullover. They come out after games between 10:10 (if healthy scratch) and 11:45. Normally 10:30-11:30 pm.

Depneding on the player, I will say "Write your F(&^*** name on this _______, now!" J/k. I normally say "nice game, blah blah blah, please sign my _________. Thanks! Have a good night! Turn on the headlights"! I actually spoke to Bruno Gervais a couple of times in french, but most of the time I ask people to sign stuff in English. :thumbsup:

Hope this helped. I am actually interested where to go for Flyers and Devils autos at their respected arenas. If anyone can help me with that, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Cowboy, how much did Mario Lemieux charge for a jersey signing?

Were you able to send out out own jersey to get signed? Did you have to purchase one of their jerseys to be signed? Were you able to get it signed in person?

From what i read, it cost $300 to get a jersey signed by Lemieux at his private signing at Frozen Pond in June 2011. Lemieux was also charging $65 for each inscription. Stores like AJ Sportsworld and Frozen Pond do give you the option of buying one of their jerseys to be signed. As The Hype mentioned in his response, they also give you the option of sending your own items in (including jerseys) to be signed.

I got an Email from Frozen Pond about Mario and Gretzky signings and they are almost $400.

Is this what they player charges, or does Frozen Pond charge these amounts?

Seems pretty steep for multimillionaires to charge their fans.

I got an Email from Frozen Pond about Mario and Gretzky signings and they are almost $400.

Is this what they player charges, or does Frozen Pond charge these amounts?

Seems pretty steep for multimillionaires to charge their fans.

No thats about the going price for him as he does not do a lot of private or public . And as to collecting or hounding after games and events is great but if you compare the autograph to a sit down its a little different it is the player SIGNATURE but maybe a little messy

No thats about the going price for him as he does not do a lot of private or public . And as to collecting or hounding after games and events is great but if you compare the autograph to a sit down its a little different it is the player SIGNATURE but maybe a little messy

True, that all depends on the player. I've been pretty luck and gotten some really nice signatures, and I've witnessed the hounds getting some real crap ones (they deserve those though!). Some guys will take their time if you're nice, some won't. If they're in a rush, don't go after them because you'll get a crappy autograph. Also, some players give completely different signatures in person than they do at a signing. Marty Brodeur for example, will give out an "MT" in person, but at a signing you get his whole "MTBR 30" . I'm not a picky guy so it's not a huge deal to me!

After Flyers games I wait by the tunnel where players drive out. If they want to sign, they'll stop. If not, they waive and drive by.

Only once did I have a player sign prior to a game, which was by the opposing tunnel to the opponents bench when Roenick returned to Philly.

Actually, does anyone know how I could get Gaborik's autograph? I just bought an all star jersey of his from St. Patrick and I have a matching jersey from that year autographed by Heatley and I'd like to match it up. Any rangers fans want to help me out?

Edited by dsl135

Thanks DSL! I might be going to a Flyers game next year and love getting autos. Fun meeting the cool people that stay after games. I know this may sound sad, but I just realized I can get the Flyers autographs at the Coliseum. Hard to believe I am starting college in 2 weeks. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

I am looking forward to the Flyers carnival in Feb. I hope to collect several autographs :)

Just be ready to donate quite a bit of money.

Each player is typically about $15-20 to sign 2 things.

No one's signature is included in the cost of the ticket.

Just be ready to donate quite a bit of money.

Each player is typically about $15-20 to sign 2 things.

No one's signature is included in the cost of the ticket.

That's crazy. Not cool.

I am looking forward to the Flyers carnival in Feb. I hope to collect several autographs :)

If you want any "big name" players you've had to pre-order autograph tickets the past few years. I enjoyed it years back when the Phantoms attended as well.(you could get quite a few sigs very easily) When you do go, arrive early. Get in line EARLY. They will hand out player location maps before the doors open. Make a plan according to the players you want signatures from and the timed autograph tix you have. As the place starts filling up, the lines get longer so knock out your "important" players first and consider everything after that "gravy."

Also, be prepared. Some of the autograph stations have 2 or 3 players...Say you might find Timmonen with a "call up rookie" from the minors. Have something for him to sign as well.

It's for charity though.

I understand it is for charity, but thats a bit excessive IMO. $15 for ONE player + $$$ ticket to get in? Thats $300+ if you want 20 people's autos (they probably carry 23 players)...assuming a family of 4 wants to meet the team, its extremely expensive and cheaper to buy tickets to a game. The Isles Charity auto party was $20 for season ticket holders and $25 for everyone else and it included access to an amusement park and full team, any number of autographs.

I understand it is for charity, but thats a bit excessive IMO. $15 for ONE player + $$$ ticket to get in? Thats $300+ if you want 20 people's autos (they probably carry 23 players)...assuming a family of 4 wants to meet the team, its extremely expensive and cheaper to buy tickets to a game. The Isles Charity auto party was $20 for season ticket holders and $25 for everyone else and it included access to an amusement park and full team, any number of autographs.

Oh I agree it is a money grab, but at least it does go to a good cause.

And it gets even worse. Like was stated above, you have to pre-order tickets to get pictures and autographs with the more popular players. I will be going for the first time and have pre-ordered a picture with Pronger and Autographs from Pronger and Briere. Its something like $30 each. Total cash grab. I'll be going with my younger brother and his favourite player is Giroux so we bought a package "deal" where you get a picture and autograph with Giroux for $50.

You shouldn't complain about $15 for an auto. Someone like Richards (I know he's not with the team) would charge $100 for his auto. I got Pronger's awhile back for $50. Giroux would be someone I would like to get, and I wouldn't even have to think if I only had to pay $50.

Oh I agree it is a money grab, but at least it does go to a good cause.

And it gets even worse. Like was stated above, you have to pre-order tickets to get pictures and autographs with the more popular players. I will be going for the first time and have pre-ordered a picture with Pronger and Autographs from Pronger and Briere. Its something like $30 each. Total cash grab. I'll be going with my younger brother and his favourite player is Giroux so we bought a package "deal" where you get a picture and autograph with Giroux for $50.

Thats the only good thing about the event! Is it tax deductible as a charitable donation? Save receipts and ask your accountant!

But I hate the principle of doing a "pay per player" type thing. They should make it a flat rate. Hell, make it a flat $100-$200 and throw in a ticket to an actual game (which allows people to spend more money on concessions/parking that goes straight to their pocket!). Thats nice I guess, in the sense you are guaranteed to meet them if you paid for it. Does Pronger/Briere sign after/before games? I am going to try to get them for free when they come to the Coli in January or March! :thumbsup:

As much as I hate the Islanders and their operations, they have always put on decent events (I feel they screw over season ticket holders, but the pre-season autograph event was very nice and I digress).

You shouldn't complain about $15 for an auto. Someone like Richards (I know he's not with the team) would charge $100 for his auto. I got Pronger's awhile back for $50. Giroux would be someone I would like to get, and I wouldn't even have to think if I only had to pay $50.

I refuse to pay for autographs (well, thats not entirely true as I went to the Islanders event at an amusement park, but I was able to go on the rides in addition to getting autos). I met John Tavares countless times for free. I just met Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Bogosian and others for free. It pisses me off these people make thousands to millions of dollars to do something that I pay to do. I don't see what it takes for them to scribble their name on a piece of paper or on a jersey or pose for one picture.

The Islanders (players), for the most part, are a great bunch and actually care about their fans. They really did spoil me, I guess.

Thats the only good thing about the event! Is it tax deductible as a charitable donation? Save receipts and ask your accountant!

But I hate the principle of doing a "pay per player" type thing. They should make it a flat rate. Hell, make it a flat $100-$200 and throw in a ticket to an actual game (which allows people to spend more money on concessions/parking that goes straight to their pocket!). Thats nice I guess, in the sense you are guaranteed to meet them if you paid for it. Does Pronger/Briere sign after/before games? I am going to try to get them for free when they come to the Coli in January or March! :thumbsup:

As much as I hate the Islanders and their operations, they have always put on decent events (I feel they screw over season ticket holders, but the pre-season autograph event was very nice and I digress).

Last time I went the "Non Star" sigs were $5.00... When I was a season ticket holder the Flyers would hold a meet the team event and autographs were free as well.

"Paying" at the Carnival is in form of a charitible donation...I never worried about the money cause I knew it was going to a good cause. It's not like the players are actually stopping at practice on a regular basis anymore... Some of the guys do but it's not always the players you are looking for.

Last time I went the "Non Star" sigs were $5.00... When I was a season ticket holder the Flyers would hold a meet the team event and autographs were free as well.

"Paying" at the Carnival is in form of a charitible donation...I never worried about the money cause I knew it was going to a good cause. It's not like the players are actually stopping at practice on a regular basis anymore... Some of the guys do but it's not always the players you are looking for.

Still it is $100 (if each player is $5--which it is not). I understand the charity aspect of it, but is this the only "autograph event" of the year for NON-season ticket holders? Its still expensive. What if you have a kid who wants to meet his favorite players? Do you really think it is appropriate to charge that much for autographs for a kid? Its a tough economy.

I guess I really am spoiled by the Isles. I take it for granted. For the most part, they are all accessible and sign either before or after games. The only ones that are tough are DiPietro, Comeau, and Nabokov. I heard the rangers and Blues are easily accessible as well.