Autograph Jerseys - who collects?

Easto

Still it is $100 (if each player is $5--which it is not). I understand the charity aspect of it, but is this the only "autograph event" of the year for NON-season ticket holders? Its still expensive. What if you have a kid who wants to meet his favorite players? Do you really think it is appropriate to charge that much for autographs for a kid? Its a tough economy.

I guess I really am spoiled by the Isles. I take it for granted. For the most part, they are all accessible and sign either before or after games. The only ones that are tough are DiPietro, Comeau, and Nabokov. I heard the rangers and Blues are easily accessible as well.

It's almost impossible to get every player at the Carnival...If you go there thinking you will you'll be disappointed and so will the kids. I will say that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to pay for autographs (well, thats not entirely true as I went to the Islanders event at an amusement park, but I was able to go on the rides in addition to getting autos). I met John Tavares countless times for free. I just met Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Bogosian and others for free. It pisses me off these people make thousands to millions of dollars to do something that I pay to do. I don't see what it takes for them to scribble their name on a piece of paper or on a jersey or pose for one picture.

The Islanders (players), for the most part, are a great bunch and actually care about their fans. They really did spoil me, I guess.

Hockey players in general are really nice about it, because when they were kids, they wanted to do the same thing. In Toronto the centre of the hockey universe, I get a few freebies here and there since I always run into players. The best is when they have the HOF Induction ceremony, which is next week by the way. Last year, I got Stevie Yzerman to sign my jersey just as he was arriving.

I met Tavares the summer he got drafted, when he was standing next to me in line to go catch a soccer match at BMO Field (we were seeing Real Madrid). I said to him "Shouldn't you be like a VIP?", and he was like nah he's fine. He was cool enuf to let me take a picture with him. But you can tell he just wanted to be anonymous, though some other people figured out who he was.

One guy though that's a bit of a ###### is Cammalleri. When he's signing for "free", he won't put his number on it. He says he doesn't like people making money off of him. And he doesn't give people any of his sticks, even though it doesn't cost him anything.

I think you hit the nail on the head with them wanting autos growing up too. Hockey players are by far the nicest. I think that is why the Isles are so great with signing...they are a young team. They love living it up.

For me, I enjoy getting autos...there is the same group of Isles fans that usually wait before and after the games and they are the same age as me (for the most part 16-25, but there are some older folks). Its nice to be able to chill with fans as passionate as you are...there are not too many diehard Isles fans on LI. I have never sold an autograph, though I am trying to sell items that have autographs that I no longer want/have a purpose for but, I never have intent to get an auto just to resell. I usually only ask for one autograph when I meet a visiting player before a game (and maybe ask for a picture with them if they are not in a hurry) and rarely I'll ask an Islander for two autographs (and they are always nice about it. I had a Winter Hawks and an Isles picture of Nino Niederreiter and he signed both for me b/c Ididnt know if he was going to stay up on the Isles or not and he was more than happy to sign both pictures), I have 3 binders filled with pictures (09/10, 10/11, and 11/12 seasons...I think I already eclipsed 55 signed pictures from this season already + 3 visiting team logo pages this season! :D ). I really want to have the ultimate man cave where at least one wall is covered with framed signed 8x10 and another with framed signed jerseys.

Johnny runs hot/cold, but he is nice.

I don't understand that. The Habs are coming here next week...I will definitely tell Cammalleri off :D. I understand they don't have to sign, and I respect that, but don't do it half-assed if you are going to sign. I appreciate when they do sign, don't get me wrong, but don't be like a cocky SOB thinking your auto is worth something where it is worth it to sell. Flood the market with your autographs if you are worried about someone profiting off you. I'd seriously tell him that he is profiting off the money I spend on merchandise, tickets, food, etc. :D. I never told off a hockey player, but came really close to yelling at Joel Ward. I got a text from my friend that Green, Vokoun, and Backstrom signed after the AM skate at the Coli on Saturday (I got this text around 2:30..they start walking to the Coli for the game around 3), so I only had time to print out one logo page to get signed and headed over there. Joel Ward said he wouldnt sign any "blanks" (logo pages). I tried pleading with him (and I was wearing my Caps jersey) by saying Bruce is on here (meaning it has no value :D) and I am not selling it blah blah blah. He wouldnt do it. I almost made fun of him for carrying a MACYS bag, but thought better of it. He played roller hockey where I played...I should have brought my league jersey.

With the stick thing, I understand that though. He might not want to hurt anyone's feelings by giving it to one person. Or he is a ######. :thumbsup: The Isles sell JT's sticks for $400 last I saw so I don't think he gives out sticks. Pretty much everone else is $75 (with few exceptions) and from time to time they'll give a stick out. However, DiPietro, as much as some hate him, is extremely generous with sticks if he wins and you are wearing a DP jersey. I saw him give 2 sticks out to people wearing DP jerseys at a closed practice and at the last home game of the season, he took 6 sticks and gave them to people rocking the 39. After I played roller hockey with Kirill, he gave his hockey stick to the only girl there (who happened to be the goalie he shot against). I have seen Moulson and Hamonic give sticks to people waiting outside after games.

Off topic, but I have video of DiPietro telling me not to sell my DP military gamer on eBay and Al Montoya asking me how much I want for it. :lol:

If you want any "big name" players you've had to pre-order autograph tickets the past few years. I enjoyed it years back when the Phantoms attended as well.(you could get quite a few sigs very easily) When you do go, arrive early. Get in line EARLY. They will hand out player location maps before the doors open. Make a plan according to the players you want signatures from and the timed autograph tix you have. As the place starts filling up, the lines get longer so knock out your "important" players first and consider everything after that "gravy."

Also, be prepared. Some of the autograph stations have 2 or 3 players...Say you might find Timmonen with a "call up rookie" from the minors. Have something for him to sign as well.

Yea, I've talked to a few people who have gone. I was disappointed that the Jagr autograph tickets sold out before the end of Oct. I have a photo session with him, but, that sucks.

I bought auto tickets for Giroux and Bryzgalov, and photo tickets for Giroux and Jagr. I also hope to snag autographs for Simmonds, Talbot and Couturier...

I have my items I want autographed. I HOPE to figure out a way to get a Jagr ticket once I get there. And, I plan to have 4 pucks on me in case something pops up with someone else...

I enjoy getting autos, and the Rangers are not terribly difficult to get. The trick is knowing where to go to get which player you want, cause there are 4-5 different entrances that the players use at MSG. I personally like to get pucks autographed, and I got almost the whole team last year over the course of 4 games. The only guy who is impossible to get is Fedotenko. He won't sign before games because he is superstitious, and you never see him after the game either.

Haha no dice. I could always get Feds after a game at NVMC if he has to walk across to the hotel. I assume that's how you got it. I don't see the point to owning autographs unless you got them yourself. For me it's more about the experience than the signature itself.

I enjoy getting autos, and the Rangers are not terribly difficult to get. The trick is knowing where to go to get which player you want, cause there are 4-5 different entrances that the players use at MSG. I personally like to get pucks autographed, and I got almost the whole team last year over the course of 4 games. The only guy who is impossible to get is Fedotenko. He won't sign before games because he is superstitious, and you never see him after the game either.

I hate being down here in Texas - you're pretty lucky :)

I see 1 or 2 Dallas games a season - but its still a pretty good drive. And, I'm not really a Dallas fan. I try to see a team I like. I wanted to see the Flyer game, but it's Dec 21st in Dallas. And, this year isn't my year to take off for Christmas. :(

So, I'm seeing them play the Maple Leafs. I was going to see the Canucks game in Dallas. But, it's a week after the Flyers carnival. In order to get my wife to not hassle me about going to phili, I gave up the Stars vs Canucks game...

Little plug

If any one is looking to buy a few signed pucks or pictures I have a ton and will let them go at a resonable price

I do have mnore than the picture allows I have collected autographs for years and have know gone mostly jerseys and multy signed pictures

hockeyplus011.jpg

I think you hit the nail on the head with them wanting autos growing up too. Hockey players are by far the nicest. I think that is why the Isles are so great with signing...they are a young team. They love living it up.

For me, I enjoy getting autos...there is the same group of Isles fans that usually wait before and after the games and they are the same age as me (for the most part 16-25, but there are some older folks). Its nice to be able to chill with fans as passionate as you are...there are not too many diehard Isles fans on LI. I have never sold an autograph, though I am trying to sell items that have autographs that I no longer want/have a purpose for but, I never have intent to get an auto just to resell. I usually only ask for one autograph when I meet a visiting player before a game (and maybe ask for a picture with them if they are not in a hurry) and rarely I'll ask an Islander for two autographs (and they are always nice about it. I had a Winter Hawks and an Isles picture of Nino Niederreiter and he signed both for me b/c Ididnt know if he was going to stay up on the Isles or not and he was more than happy to sign both pictures), I have 3 binders filled with pictures (09/10, 10/11, and 11/12 seasons...I think I already eclipsed 55 signed pictures from this season already + 3 visiting team logo pages this season! :D ). I really want to have the ultimate man cave where at least one wall is covered with framed signed 8x10 and another with framed signed jerseys.

Johnny runs hot/cold, but he is nice.

I don't understand that. The Habs are coming here next week...I will definitely tell Cammalleri off :D. I understand they don't have to sign, and I respect that, but don't do it half-assed if you are going to sign. I appreciate when they do sign, don't get me wrong, but don't be like a cocky SOB thinking your auto is worth something where it is worth it to sell. Flood the market with your autographs if you are worried about someone profiting off you. I'd seriously tell him that he is profiting off the money I spend on merchandise, tickets, food, etc. :D. I never told off a hockey player, but came really close to yelling at Joel Ward. I got a text from my friend that Green, Vokoun, and Backstrom signed after the AM skate at the Coli on Saturday (I got this text around 2:30..they start walking to the Coli for the game around 3), so I only had time to print out one logo page to get signed and headed over there. Joel Ward said he wouldnt sign any "blanks" (logo pages). I tried pleading with him (and I was wearing my Caps jersey) by saying Bruce is on here (meaning it has no value :D) and I am not selling it blah blah blah. He wouldnt do it. I almost made fun of him for carrying a MACYS bag, but thought better of it. He played roller hockey where I played...I should have brought my league jersey.

With the stick thing, I understand that though. He might not want to hurt anyone's feelings by giving it to one person. Or he is a ######. :thumbsup: The Isles sell JT's sticks for $400 last I saw so I don't think he gives out sticks. Pretty much everone else is $75 (with few exceptions) and from time to time they'll give a stick out. However, DiPietro, as much as some hate him, is extremely generous with sticks if he wins and you are wearing a DP jersey. I saw him give 2 sticks out to people wearing DP jerseys at a closed practice and at the last home game of the season, he took 6 sticks and gave them to people rocking the 39. After I played roller hockey with Kirill, he gave his hockey stick to the only girl there (who happened to be the goalie he shot against). I have seen Moulson and Hamonic give sticks to people waiting outside after games.

Off topic, but I have video of DiPietro telling me not to sell my DP military gamer on eBay and Al Montoya asking me how much I want for it. :lol:

In the old days in Toronto, people just go to the practice arena. When the players park their cars, they have to walk into the arena so you always have a chance to grab a player.

I was a big Islanders fan growing up, Bossy was my favourite player. Never had a chance to go down to catch a game though. Maybe one day. They have some good young players, it's good to hear that they're pretty cool.

One of my close friends is buddies with a few NHL guys, and one of these guys used to play for Montreal. So we've been around after games and stuff, usually reserved for family and friends. We even asked this player to get Cammy to give us one of his sticks, he said no. Other players, no problem at all. They would even sign it if we asked them to. It doesn't cost them anything, it's all paid by the hockey club. So yeah, he's a ######. Or maybe we're greedy.

If you go to morning practices, players sometimes will give you their sticks just as they're leaving the ice if you wait by the tunnel and ask for it. Some guys are just really cool about it.

Unfortunately not all teams let you in for practices. I assume you're talking about actually going and WATCHING a practice. I know you can't do that with the Rangers.

Very true it has gotten very hard to get into anything here in the GTA since the scandle at the Gardens and when Buffalo moved over they stopped letting people in to watch .as Autographing goes to get a decent non rushed one you have to attend shows or events one of my favs was Dinners you get fed plus a few graphs from some big names .

In the old days in Toronto, people just go to the practice arena. When the players park their cars, they have to walk into the arena so you always have a chance to grab a player.

I was a big Islanders fan growing up, Bossy was my favourite player. Never had a chance to go down to catch a game though. Maybe one day. They have some good young players, it's good to hear that they're pretty cool.

One of my close friends is buddies with a few NHL guys, and one of these guys used to play for Montreal. So we've been around after games and stuff, usually reserved for family and friends. We even asked this player to get Cammy to give us one of his sticks, he said no. Other players, no problem at all. They would even sign it if we asked them to. It doesn't cost them anything, it's all paid by the hockey club. So yeah, he's a ######. Or maybe we're greedy.

If you go to morning practices, players sometimes will give you their sticks just as they're leaving the ice if you wait by the tunnel and ask for it. Some guys are just really cool about it.

I'd love to go to an Isles practice, but they are closed (ever since JT). However, every now and then if you know someone you can get in. The only player I have a chance of remembering me is Kirill Kabanov, but that is unlikely lol. In all of my years of being a hockey fan/going to games, I have never received a stick from a player. The only thing I have received through a player was a couple of tickets to an AHL game in Atlantic City. My cousin knows some NHL/AHLers, but my cousin hates asking for stuff (I wanted him to get me a stick from an Islander he knew and he wouldn't do it). He just wanted to tell the player he wanted to catch up/talk to him after the game and the player told him not to buy tickets he would cover it and asked how many we needed.

Thats cool to know peeps! It sucks that Cammy is a doucher.

I would love to go to a practice and try that. I know people who would get tons of sticks. I never went to a legit practice...the Isles practice 40 mins from my home and I coulnd't drive and had school, so I never was able to go (my parents work on Saturday mornings).

Unfortunately not all teams let you in for practices. I assume you're talking about actually going and WATCHING a practice. I know you can't do that with the Rangers.

You're right, they usually don't let you into practices. You basically have to know someone and then have them put you on the guest list. Like I said, I'm lucky to have some connections.

I'd love to go to an Isles practice, but they are closed (ever since JT). However, every now and then if you know someone you can get in. The only player I have a chance of remembering me is Kirill Kabanov, but that is unlikely lol. In all of my years of being a hockey fan/going to games, I have never received a stick from a player. The only thing I have received through a player was a couple of tickets to an AHL game in Atlantic City. My cousin knows some NHL/AHLers, but my cousin hates asking for stuff (I wanted him to get me a stick from an Islander he knew and he wouldn't do it). He just wanted to tell the player he wanted to catch up/talk to him after the game and the player told him not to buy tickets he would cover it and asked how many we needed.

Thats cool to know peeps! It sucks that Cammy is a doucher.

I would love to go to a practice and try that. I know people who would get tons of sticks. I never went to a legit practice...the Isles practice 40 mins from my home and I coulnd't drive and had school, so I never was able to go (my parents work on Saturday mornings).

That's another benefit of knowing players, we can ask them to put aside some tickets for us. We pay for all our tickets but at least we don't have to worry about games being sold out.

I can understand from your cousin's point of view, but I think as long as you don't abuse your privileges, like constantly asking for stuff, it's ok. A lot of stuff like I said doesn't cost the players anything, except maybe their signatures. I can understand if the $300 sticks are coming out of their own pockets, but it's not. You should remind your cousin that. :thumbsup:

That's another benefit of knowing players, we can ask them to put aside some tickets for us. We pay for all our tickets but at least we don't have to worry about games being sold out.

I can understand from your cousin's point of view, but I think as long as you don't abuse your privileges, like constantly asking for stuff, it's ok. A lot of stuff like I said doesn't cost the players anything, except maybe their signatures. I can understand if the $300 sticks are coming out of their own pockets, but it's not. You should remind your cousin that. :thumbsup:

Haha yup! The only thing is they have to stay in the NHL (the Islander is no longer in the NHL)! He invited a current Lightning player to his wedding, but he had a game that day and couldn't go. My cousin feels weird because he didn't make it and his friends did. He really wanted to play professionally. He was a goalie and he had 1 good season and the scouts went to watch him/his team the first game AFTER he tore his groin...his backup got drafted/signed to a contract (I think that was what happened). I was ready to smack him when he said he didn't want to ask for anything, but he is a Marine and can kick my Arse :doh:

I used to be really in to baseball autographs as a kid and would try to get some at every game I went to. Now, I am far more interested in non-autographed game used stuff. The only exception has been the Ian Cole jerseys I recently had autographed. Since Ian and I both went/go to Notre Dame, and I have had a few opportunities to chat with him, during which he offered to sign, I figured the jerseys would look sweet with the Rivermen gamer of his that I have. Other than that though, I'd rather go after game worn jerseys.

Obligatory pics :D :

IanColeBlues.jpg

IanColeND.jpg