A MOVIE ABOUT ENFORCERS

sungod661

Ice Guardians demo

Password:igvimeo12345

This looks like it will be a good flick.. It looks like a great movie but in the last 5 years as my son continues his way through minor hockey i feel fighting should be banned. I can tell you this is in stark contrast of how i felt 5 years ago i said fighting needed to be part of hockey. Fast forward to today and the tragic event s of this sumer coupled with the use of guys like that retard that plays for the islanders makes me say hockey would be better off without fighting. Having played the game and being a traditionalist i am conflicted but i can now see that fighting although it adds a element to hockey that element comes with a price of barbarianism. Watching the olympics last year i realized fighting does not have to be in hockey to enjoy hockey.

A focus on skill and ability not goons should be in order. Goons do not keep the other team in check anymore this is not 1983, i loved hockey back then but this a new age where players can pretty much do everything including defend themselves if necessary.

hey thats my opinion what do i know

guys like that retard that plays for the islanders makes me say hockey would be better off without fighting. Having played the game and being a traditionalist i am conflicted but i can now see that fighting although it adds a element to hockey that element comes with a price of barbarianism.

Before I say anything, I respect your posts and look forward to learning from your knowledge on jerseys. However, that was completely unnecessary. You obviously do not know what happened. Sure Trevor Gillies crossed a line, but enough was enough. They [islanders] were completely disrespected by the Penguins and the prior couple of games leading up to the 2/11/11 game (agaisnt the Pens and Leafs specifically), Tavares and DiPietro were targeted. There were numerous hits that were borderline and went uncalled. Nothing made me happier than seeing the Isles beating the Pens on the scoreboard and physically. The score was 4-0 before any real shenanigans began.

I think fighting still needs to be a part of the game, but 2 things need to be fixed:

1) Removal of the instigator penalty.

2) A more clear, serious policy towards hits to the head.

The players need more respect for each other and shouldn't be cheap shoting each other. Before anyone comments about Martin grabbing Talbot and saying it was like the Bertuzzi-Moore incident, it isn't even close. I'll admit the Gillies hit on Tangradi was a cheap shot, but not Martin-Talbot. If you played hockey, you know that if someone cheap shots your teammate, they will be getting theirs very soon. I like the idea of players policing themselves. I remember meeting Gillies after the November 24 (I think...it was the day before Thanksgiving) game against Columbus, and a kid asked him why he fought Boll. Gillies said, "He shouldn't be hitting Johnny [Tavares] like that". Gillies was completely correct and I am glad he stood up for Tavares.

i too respect your opinion but Trevor Gillies has 2 goals and 1 assist in 54 nhl games but 261 minutes in penalties and wa suspended 2 times for 19 games .

What exactly does Trevor Gillies add to hockey? This type of player is an archaic way of dealing with people hitting your players, i am sorry but the bruins won the cup with out a quote un quote goon they had plenty of team toughness with Chara and Lucic and guys like thornoton barely played.

How many fights were there in the playoffs? not many was the hockey any worse? i don't think so, guys like Gillies play 2 minutes a game this doesn't make sense anymore Owen Nolan, Mark Messier and brendan Shanahan were tough as nails guys who protected themselves and their teamates. You don't need thuggery in the nhl. I am sure that Trevor gillies did the right thing smashing Tangradi face into the ground and then proceeding to punch him while he was down and then proceed to taunt him from the arena walkway but that isn't the argument here I have actually met Trevor gillies and he seems like a very likeable guy, thats not the point. The point is that it no longer makes sense to continue having these type of players in the game secondly fighting is not at the olympics and barely in the playoffs and thats the best hockey in the world. Why do we need it? We don't its a culture thing and the culture needs to change.

Trust me when i tell you not so long ago i would be screaming bloody murder if anyone suggested removing fighting from hockey i always idolized Chris Nilan loved Tony Twist i used to tape hockey fights. Things have changed the game has changed the world has changed we need to accept that and evolve with the game. Many teams have already begun to change by not having a goons.

I respect your opinion and you love for your team, however i will agree to disagree with you on fighting.

Gotta be honest, I was shocked the Isles resigned Gillies, especially since Charles Wang is anti-fighting as well. On a young team with little to none veteran presence (he has been around the AHL long enough) and little toughness (except for Konopka), he was necessary. He brings the intangibles off the ice that a young team needs in the lockerroom. He is a goon, no two questions about it. The Isles were getting pushed around way too much and IMO, the Atlantic Division is one of the toughest divisions (physically) to play in. If having Gillies in the line up meant that players thought twice about targeting Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, etc., he did his job. Now, Martin and Haley (actually was surprised with his skill. He led Bridgeport in goals and had a nice goal against the Pens), Gillies is going to probably start the year in Bridgeport where he belongs (or be a healthy scratch almost every night).

I see where you are coming from, I am just anit-change :lol: . But seriously, fights off the faceoff should be banned, but if it is spontaneous during game play, it should be allowed. I feel if players know that they can get away with hitting/hurting star players (knowing they will not need to fight), I think the number of injuries will increase.

Side note: I have a soft spot for Gillies...how can you not like a guy that signs his autos with a smiley face?

IMG_8607.jpg

Like i said i met him he was extremely down to earth and nothing like the goon persona we see on tv. This man is a big man he has hands the size of catchers mitts. I will agree that if fighting is kept the instigator rule must go immediately.

I just would prefer Gillies spot be given to a guy who can contribute a little more then a few lumps to the opponents head.

As a fan i have no problem saying i am hypocrite and i am the first to watch a fight when it is on and that movie looks like it will be wuite the flick!!

I don't think fighting should be banned in the NHL or other major leagues, however, I think it needs to be outlawed in Juniors. There is no reason 16-18 year old kids should be trading punches. Definitely agree with removing the instigator rule. I also feel that banning fighting in Juniors will eliminate enforcers over time. I think the role of fighting has changed drastically for the worst in hockey, staged fights are dumb.

I don't think fighting should be banned in the NHL or other major leagues, however, I think it needs to be outlawed in Juniors. There is no reason 16-18 year old kids should be trading punches. Definitely agree with removing the instigator rule. I also feel that banning fighting in Juniors will eliminate enforcers over time. I think the role of fighting has changed drastically for the worst in hockey, staged fights are dumb.

Completely agree with this. I would honestly hate to see a kid end his career over a stupid fight or getting a concussion or something serious because he was in a fight.

• 2 weeks later...