How to REMOVE HEAT SEAL FROM A JERSEY 101

I've always found it in the supermarket around here. I'm just not sure about Europe. I get it in the detergent aisle though so it can't hurt to try.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the 2nd attempt: The back is 98% clean. The letters sure left something, so did the sleeve numbers. I really hope that bleach will do the trick.

If anyone in here has a Rangers Messier jersey that was customized by Gerry Cosby, please contact me via PM.

Project_Rangers_Home_04.jpg

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I really appreciate this - I have a Cosby tagged jersey that I have wanted to clean up. Was the Cosby logo that you removed screenprinted or iron-on vinyl?

Thanks,

Wayne

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Another satisfied customer... or whatever the equivalent is. Ran outta acetone because it was a name and number job but so far it's done superb. Thanks man!

Thanks slimcutta for starting this guide!!!!!

I had some glue stains on my 1992 Kings home jersey. Someone didn't like where they originally placed the Captain's C on the left shoulder. The glue just got more yellow with time.

The acetone did the trick in one shot. Amazing and thanks again.

img0452qf.jpg

img0507wx.jpg

Edited by pastadutchie

semi-related question. my wife got my rangers heritage premier jersey - heat pressed with Gaborik 10. I want to get it stitched. Can I have the heatpressed numbers stitched on? Should I get it done professionally? Or is it better to have the heat-pressed numbers removed and then restitched on from scratch? Thanks

Would this work on removing the hockey stick shoulder patches from a 2004-2005 Canucks "White" Orca jersey? I was gonna get Bure on the jersey... but was gonna do it up like a 98 Jersey, with the All Star Patch etc.... I couldnt find any authentic 98 CCM Canucks Jerseys that would fit me.... so went with a 6100 Reebok jersey instead.... I know its gonna have the Reebok logo on it... but figure Im the one wearing it no biggie =)

So I wanted to just take off the hockey stick patches on the shoulders to at least make it look like what they wore in 98.... or am I taking a big risk in doing this and possible having "glue" stains on the jersey?

Cheers in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Acetone strikes again! The RANGERS letters on the front of my colour CCM 550 were falling off so I steamed them off entirely and cleared up the residual tough glue with acetone. Just done one wave and it's almost gone. Wish I had a before picture to show you guys, but anyway, thanks again slimcutta!

(Oh yeah, whoever I bought it from had the same problem but instead of fixing it properly - he just tried to super glue them back on. 'twas no match for our hero, Acetone, though)

Acetone strikes again! The RANGERS letters on the front of my colour CCM 550 were falling off so I steamed them off entirely and cleared up the residual tough glue with acetone. Just done one wave and it's almost gone. Wish I had a before picture to show you guys, but anyway, thanks again slimcutta!

(Oh yeah, whoever I bought it from had the same problem but instead of fixing it properly - he just tried to super glue them back on. 'twas no match for our hero, Acetone, though)

Love it! Glad to hear it worked out for you :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Hey, I just wanted to check if there was any chance I'd be able to get these numbers off the jersey. Also, would it even be worth trying? It is only a replica jersey. It is a Team Canada 2002 jersey, the only one I could find in my size (Medium). Seller is asking for $40 for it. I just want to get a Sakic Team Canada 2002 jersey, but realistically there is no rush anyways so if it would be a lot of work too then I guess I shouldn't bother and just be patient. So any input on whether it would be possible or whether it would even be worth it would be appreciated.

Thanks

PPI744C.jpg

Hey, I just wanted to check if there was any chance I'd be able to get these numbers off the jersey.

Those look relatively fresh/intact. I'd throw it in the dryer repeatedly, and have 'em dry up/crack/flake and see if you can peel 'em off first.

Get as much off as possible, then go the acetone route for whatever remains to clean it up.

Those look relatively fresh/intact. I'd throw it in the dryer repeatedly, and have 'em dry up/crack/flake and see if you can peel 'em off first.

Get as much off as possible, then go the acetone route for whatever remains to clean it up.

Alright thanks for the input

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

Does the acetone strip colour out of a non-white jersey? I just stripped a terribly customized A off of a new edge 2.0 leafs jersey and there is a little residue left over from a heat pressed on number that was then stitched on. Taking the stitches out was pretty easy.

Is it adhesive left over? Or part of the letter melted onto the jersey?

• 2 weeks later...

Will be trying to remove some screen printing from a mesh CCM Rangers-styled jersey.

Couldn't see the pic from Slims older posts, but I got the gist from the description.

Will take photos as I go along.

Thanks guys.

S

• 1 year later...

Most of the links to the photos earlier in this thread are broken. I know this is from years ago, but can OP repost or relink those photos? I have a similar jersey logo and wanted to see how it was done (I'm more of a visual learner).

• 3 weeks later...

I mistook heat-seal for heat-pressed numbers and I tried to do this on an authentic jersey, but didn't work. Is there any way to remove heat-pressed numbers from a jersey?

Thanks

Depends on the jersey and type of application.

I've had relative success removing the numbers from old Nords jerseys, when the top layer has flaked off.

I actually just cleaned off as much of the top layer that was peeling/flaking as best possible.

Then grabbed wax paper, heated the ol' iron ever so slightly and pressed it to the jersey, and peeled up the old numbers.

Here's the paper with the residue stuck to it, and you can clearly see the fleur-de-lis -

waxpaper1-vi.jpg

And here's the left arm after a few treatments, compared to the right that's untouched. Tedious work, but end result was great.

Leftarm7afteracetoneandsoap-vi.jpg

Anyways, that's for a Nords, though...what are you working with?

Heat-pressed numbers as in an authentic jersey, with customization done at a team shop where they just heat-press the numbers onto the jersey (usually what is found on premier jerseys). I'm trying to remove the numbers from an authentic Kitchener Rangers jersey, I believe it was heat-pressed all the way back in 09-10, and the jersey is a Reebok one and ss a 6100 cut, not Edge.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by foppa21

Hey guys, was motivated to try my first stripping job after reading some posts and seeing other people's success. Should have taken before/after pics. So far everything's gone much better than expected.

Nameplate was yellowed and was excited to see that the yellow didnt bleed through underneath into the jersey.

Jersey was in great shape minus a yellowed nameplate and beat up numbers...great candidate for a strip job. Dealing with glue residue on the sleeve numbers now...going to try either goof off or acetone and will edit this post with some pics.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted with their experiences.

Heat-pressed numbers as in an authentic jersey, with customization done at a team shop where they just heat-press the numbers onto the jersey (usually what is found on premier jerseys). I'm trying to remove the numbers from an authentic Kitchener Rangers jersey, I believe it was heat-pressed all the way back in 09-10, and the jersey is a Reebok one and ss a 6100 cut, not Edge.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea what the shop did, or what's found on premiers. Without pics, or having it in-hand, I'm afraid you're going to have to tell us.

• 1 year later...

Any updates by anyone? I have an air knit Stars jersey that is heat pressed that I want to strip and do correctly.

• 3 months later...