How to REMOVE HEAT SEAL FROM A JERSEY 101

This is the thread I was looking for....

Ok, so question - what is the difference between heat seal and heat press?  With all the pictures in the thread gone, I'm quite confused.

Edited by blurryhaze312

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat-sealing and heat-pressing are pretty much the same thing. Material, usually vinyl, is adhered on top of the fabric. The Nords, Blues and Penguins all used heat-pressed crap in the 80's and 90's. I believe the other version you're thinking of is screen printing. That's done with an ink-like substance mostly and is basically squeegeed on through a series of mesh screen partitions. It's a much more long-lasting method than heat-pressed vinyl is because the ink or whatever is used actually soaks into the fabric rather than just sitting on top of it. A good example of this style is some of the old WHA Nords and early 1980's Canada Canada Cup (two Canadas in a row? Weird.) jerseys.

Ok.  Yea, both terms were used within this thread, so it was a little confusing.

So the removal method for the vinyl - as mentioned in the thread earlier - is using a heated iron and transfer material (wax paper) to lift the lettering off?

These are the two I'm looking at.  The white one definitely has vinyl; there are clearly defined layers, and some corners are starting to lift.  The black one I think is all very thickly screen printed.

Screen printed one screwed, or is acetone the method for that one?

20160910_140630_zpsaodg5ih1.jpg

20160910_140653_zpsll7hszyz.jpg

Edited by blurryhaze312

• 2 years later...

I have yet to see / hear a success story about removing vinyl lettering 
That has been the kiss of death for many really cool jerseys 

There's a local shop near me where the guy actually had a bottle of liquid of some sort that neutralized the glue holding down a giant vinyl number on the back of one of my white 1987 jerseys when he f'ed up the heat seal.  I crapped my pants because I was watching him and saw the number got badly wrinkled when he did a second press down.

He sprayed this stuff on, peeled the number off, then used another something in a back room at his spray table and a high pressure water sprayer to get out the yellow color transfer onto the white fabric and then remove whatever remaining glue was there.  I'm assuming acetone or an equivalent was used for remaining glue.  Couldn't even tell it was ever there.  I went from as calm as I could look while a raging storm of panic inside to absolutely amazed in about 10 minutes.

However...the usefulness of this spray may have been due to the fact that it had just been pressed on.

I believe he said it was one of the bottles Stahl's has on their site.