Got in a fight or close to it at a game?

DucksNPucks

I expect to get into a fight at the Winter Classic. I'll be decked out in my Lundqvist Heritage jersey with a Rangers skullcap. My two buds will be wearing a Beukeboom jersey and a personalized Heritage jersey. Will probably end up having a better time at the Alumni game.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Flyers STH (in the nosebleeds as well), I have to say that every fight I've ever seen was instigated by the opposing team's fans.

I've seen good natured ribbing back and forth (and you have to expect that when you're wearing opposing colors, etc.). I've always dealt with it wherever I go, but the key is to just have fun with it.

Couple experiences to share:

- Took my girlfriend (now wife) to a Flyers-Toronto game in Philly for one of our first dates. She's Canadian, and originally from Kitchener. Grew up a Leafs fan. She wore a Leafs jersey and I told her to just play along with whatever happens and just have fun with it. She did, and was fine. The Flyers won the game like 5-2 or something. After the game, I see some Leafs fans yelling something at some Flyers fans a section over. Both groups say some nasty things, and start to leave. The Leafs fans get to the concourse and confront the Flyers fans, and get in their faces. The Flyers fan pushes the one guy back lightly just to get him out of his face, and the other Leaf fan blindsides the other Flyers fan. There weren't any ushers around this area, and so it's 2-on-2, just going at it. The Flyers fan gets the Leaf fan down and throws a couple more punches, and I jump in and grab his arm to stop him, since the guy was down and there's no point to keeping it going. Right around that time, some ushers get there and break up the other fight, and one of the ushers actually grabs me. I put both my hands up and was just like "I'm breaking it up man, I'm not involved." That ended and everyone left.

- Went to MSG for a Flyers-Rangers game right at the end of the 2010 season (when both teams were battling for the final playoff spot). Most obnoxious fans, and also some really nice ones. One HUGE coward wouldn't say or do anything, but every time the Rangers scored, he threw peanuts at me and my friends. Keep in mind, we were never obnoxious. We cheered when the Flyers scored, and just watched the game. He was one of those "tough guys" who would throw stuff at us, then look away like it wasn't him, and when he made eye contact with us would just say "What?!" in a tough, challenging voice. At the same time, the guys sitting behind us were awesome. They joked with us the whole game (as both goalies weren't playing well) about how we should just trade goalies. Gave me and my buddies some great sayings too... the 3 guys behind us, throughout the game, whenever the Rangers would attack, would scream "Pull the goalie! Shoot! Pass it to Jagr!" They were season ticket holders, so they all knew what they were talking about and were just sarcastically joking around. It was fun. But go figure, we picked up those joking sayings, and now we, as Flyers fans, actually get to say "Pass it to Jagr!" haha.

- Went to the Igloo for the last Flyers-Pens game in 2010. Two drunk fans start yelling at each other, and neither seems to know much of what they're talking about. If memory serves correctly, both were wearing knock-off jerseys too. In any case, the argument turns from Flyers vs. Pens to Philly vs. Pittsburgh, and the Pens fan starts screaming some crap about "Oh yea, who won the Super Bowl? We did! Cups and Super Bowls!" and then the Flyers fan screams "Well yea, who won the World Series?!" And me and my buddy interrupt their stupid argument and scream "The Yankees, now sit down and stop embarrassing our fan base!" Got a small applause. Pretty funny.

I dont think there will be too many (if any) fights at the WC. People paying that much for tickets tends to weed-out the people who just get hammered and go looking for fights at games. It is a nice experience and Im sure nobody will be dtf (down to fight..thats what it stands for...right? :D).

I dont think there will be too many (if any) fights at the WC. People paying that much for tickets tends to weed-out the people who just get hammered and go looking for fights at games. It is a nice experience and Im sure nobody will be dtf (down to fight..thats what it stands for...right? :D).

I completely agree. Everyone is typically so jazzed up, and having so much fun in the wonder of it all, that it's very unlikely to see a fight. The one in Boston was amazing, and everyone was really friendly. I see no reason why it won't be the same in Philly.

I'm heading to the Canucks games Vs Florida and TB on the Jan 9th and 10th. I have no idea what to expect in terms of their fans and whether they're hostile or not. I always make a point to be respectful of the opposing teams fans in Rogers. Anybody that shows up repping their team like that gets respect from me. As long as they're not obnoxious and disrespectful in our building and towards our fans. I've never had any issues at a hockey game, knock on wood. But one thing I do know is that if somebody tosses beer on my jersey, or crosses the line and starts to get personal, I'm swinging.

I'm heading to the Canucks games Vs Florida and TB on the Jan 9th and 10th. I have no idea what to expect in terms of their fans and whether they're hostile or not. I always make a point to be respectful of the opposing teams fans in Rogers. Anybody that shows up repping their team like that gets respect from me. As long as they're not obnoxious and disrespectful in our building and towards our fans. I've never had any issues at a hockey game, knock on wood. But one thing I do know is that if somebody tosses beer on my jersey, or crosses the line and starts to get personal, I'm swinging.

Better watch out down there...There are a lot of old retired Flyers fans that are just looking to give someone a good wooping with their canes. :fight: