1996 World Cup?

metaphaze

Can anyone tell me about this jersey?

Authentic as in game worn? Retail authentic, Replica? Counterfeit?

Can I have this jersey customized to reflect a favorite player from the '96 World Cup?

Looks like a retail authentic to me

And yes, that style was used in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey

Notice the world cup patch placement though....it is on the left shoulder

article_17563_2.jpg

im just gonna say HUGE COUNTERFEIT... :P

its not counterfeit!!! what would even make you think it is? why does everyone think everything is counterfeit now?

authentic as in an on ice ready , to player spec jersey yes. theres no name or number so why would it be game worn ? I dont know why youd even suggest that?does it show wear?

you can have the jersey customized to have any name or number youd like. what you do with your jersey is up to you. its a 96 world cup of hockey jersey. and good luck finding that patch..

im just gonna say HUGE COUNTERFEIT... :P

its not counterfeit!!! what would even make you think it is? why does everyone think everything is counterfeit now?

authentic as in an on ice ready , to player spec jersey yes. theres no name or number so why would it be game worn ? I dont know why youd even suggest that?does it show wear?

you can have the jersey customized to have any name or number youd like. what you do with your jersey is up to you. its a 96 world cup of hockey jersey. and good luck finding that patch..

LOL so yes, but it?

With 5 days left as well! some eBayers really are stupid

From my experience, the authentics were number sized and had and embroidered patch for the main crest and a fight strap. Pretty rare, as these may have only been meant for actual team use with the fight strap.

There was a "mid-level" retail version which was number sized, had the embroidered crest and customized with (I believe) Richter #35, Leetch #2 (no "C") and Roenick #27, who did not actually compete in the tournament due to being a free agent and not having insurance in case of an injury. These did not have a fight strap.

The replicas were letter sized and had sublimated main crests and were all blanks.

Blue ones were not made for retail and are hard to find, as they too were only meant for the team.

With 5 days left as well! some eBayers really are stupid

It is me M*****2. There is a strategy of raising the bid in the early period of the auction. In some occasions it runs off the spur buyer that would generally be willing to pay more then the item is worth.

It is no worse then guam64 offering an Alfedrson All-Star jersey for $333.33, which starts at three hundred less.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I think I saw this thread, and then promptly forgot about it. I would like to have re-read it last week. I just got one of these jerseys, with #35 and Richter (number sized), to upgrade from my blank replica (letter sized) . The lettering and numbering looks good. But it is missing the fight strap and does not have the double elbows. So it isn't what I would call "pro weight." Unless these are all of a sudden showing up for the first time, I don't suspect it is a knock off made in China, but I feel that it is not quite what I really wanted. Are true pro weight jerseys available? Or is this mid-level replica, as Jeff B calls it, the best that can be bought outside of a game worn/game issued?

Thanks,

Rob

Man, I think I saw this thread, and then promptly forgot about it. I would like to have re-read it last week. I just got one of these jerseys, with #35 and Richter (number sized), to upgrade from my blank replica (letter sized) . The lettering and numbering looks good. But it is missing the fight strap and does not have the double elbows. So it isn't what I would call "pro weight." Unless these are all of a sudden showing up for the first time, I don't suspect it is a knock off made in China, but I feel that it is not quite what I really wanted. Are true pro weight jerseys available? Or is this mid-level replica, as Jeff B calls it, the best that can be bought outside of a game worn/game issued?

Thanks,

Rob

The authentic white jerseys (with the fight strap), do show up on EBAY, so they are out there. I have three that i found on EBAY.

Thanks for the reply - good to know that the true pro-weights can be had. I am going to keep my new one anyway, I think I got it at a decent price, and I will try to unload the replica. I figure I could get a fight strap sewn in the new one if I really wanted. In addition to the embroidered crest, this jersey has the reinforced stitching on the seams and also has the underarm gusset, so it is built a little differently than the out-and-out replica.

I just found this post that reinforces the above-posted statement about what types of jerseys were made available to the public.

I also saw this post about some guy's Top Ten USA jerseys... and he called the 1996 jersey ugly... Hm, I think it is one of their better shirts. Actually, I don't think USA has had one good original jersey since 1996. They've all bored me since then (grey striping, USA in circular crest, lack of horizontal stripes, the weird shoulder blotch - all mistakes in my mind).... I'm also quite fond of the 1976 jersey, which is among his worst.

-Rob

• 1 year later...

Anyone know who does proper customization for 1996 USA world cup white jersey? Debating to customize mine as either Leetch, Richter, Lafontaine. Any other suggestions?

I have some waiting to be done (two whites and a blue) and I'll be sending them to EPS. I know that Jeff had his done by EPS and they look great.

As for who to put on it, to me the answer is Richter. He's the reason the USA won.

That's awesome.

I just got one of these in white. I don't know if I want to get mine customized, keep it blank, or sell it. So many options. It really is a beautiful jersey

good old Dougie Weight. Wow. Imagine if NYR had kept him and Amonte. Could have had a few cups instead of just 1. Thanks. Will def be sending it to EPS.

Anyone know who does proper customization for 1996 USA world cup white jersey? Debating to customize mine as either Leetch, Richter, Lafontaine. Any other suggestions?

Don't ruin a great jersey with the names of inferior players on it, especially former Rags. You have only two acceptable options:

preview_600_62973-vi.jpg

preview_591_62934-vi.jpg

You know, my buddy and I were debating this on Saturday. Who was the third USA goalie with Richter starting and Guy Hebert taking the place of an injured Vanbiesbrouck? The answer? Ace Ventura himself! Funny; I always thought he was Canadian.

Some may disagree but that was the greatest hockey tournament I have ever witnessed...only because I'm not old enough to have seen the 1980 Olympics. I almost jumped through the roof when LeClair tied Game 1 with 5 seconds left. That was incredible. The final four minutes of Game 3 still astound me to this day. 4 goals in the final 3:18. That shot of Amonte jumping into Derian Hatcher's arms after scoring the winner is burned into my memory forever. I will love every single member of that 1996 team until the day I die. I had a chance to buy Keith Tkachuk's jersey from that tournament a few years back and passed and have regretted it ever since.

Also, everyone knows that the US should have won in 2 games rather than 3. Brind'Amour was totally offsides on Canada's OT-winner in Game 1.