Leafs / Wings Winter Classic 2013

St. Patrick

You may not have to do anything. With Fehr's reputation I wouldn't be surprised if hockey doesn't start until after January and the winter classic cancelled.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not have to do anything. With Fehr's reputation I wouldn't be surprised if hockey doesn't start until after January and the winter classic cancelled.

That would thoroughly ###### me off. I can't survive without hockey, and then the season and Stanley Cup would be just as tainted as the NBA season was this year.

I'd like to see both teams wear colours, a red against blue since the black and white TV's aren't a problem any more.

I understand why some would be worried about that, but I really can't see it happening.

The NHL knows they can't afford another lockout.

Fehr knows he has a massive bargining chip in the winter classic so don't be surprised. I figure they would just move the day though if they couldn't play on 1st.

Having been to both the 2010 in Boston and the 2012 in Philadelphia, this is definitely something to experience. I'll pretty much go every time the Flyers are involved.

My in laws actually got tickets for me and my wife for the 2013 game, but we've decided to sell the tickets to HockeyMusic at face value

Call me the decision maker....

I'm on the fence about trying to get tickets. The view will be crappy and it is going to cost a crap load for a ticket. I'm thinking I'd rather just watch it in HD at home and use part of what it would cost to go to buy the jersey.

Even if you get seats in the lower rows the view is fine, though being higher up is better. The field is about 8 feet under the first row so the boards are not as big a deal as when they have it at baseball parks. Here is my view at the Big Chill in row 15.

163412_468207891890_672036890_6171752_1567463_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything on this front? I would think they would want to market them as soon as possible just to get sales on track.

Anyone heard anything on this front? I would think they would want to market them as soon as possible just to get sales on track.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we waited until almost Thanksgiving (American Thanksgiving that is) for the Flyers and Rangers to debut theirs last year.

Nah, you're right DSL - Flyers was released on Nov. 21st and Rangers on Nov. 28th last year.

I asked the Leafs customizer about a month ago and they still have not received anything from Reebok yet. No jersey design or font package as of yet.

Who knows what's going to happen since the NHL will lock out the players once they can't agree on a new c.b.a.

Both Uni-Watch and IceThetics are linking to a recent blog post by Howard Berger that says they will wear the same throw backs they wore in 1996-97 to celebrate the 65th Anniversary of Maple Leaf Gardens:

0802-tor27-jersey.png

(Photo courtesy of the Spyboy1/JeffB collection)

The problem I see is I can't imagine the home team Red Wings would opt to wear a white jersey, especially considering they already did in their previous WC appearance.

So I stand by my previous prediction that the Leafs will create a white version of this style and hope that the Red Wings do something like I mocked up below:

zjuh7c.png

The Wings opt to wear their white jersey at home a bunch of times during the year when the other team consents....I think they would prefer to wear white at home but can't because most NHL teams travel with their whites on the road (because most other teams prefer to wear their darks and thirds at home). Remember, the Wings have never introduced a third and probably never will because they would probably want it to be white.

Toronto has done the white 3rd jersey for years thing with no problems, so I think if the Wings wanted to, they could have a white 3rd.

I've always heard that the color jerseys outsell the white jerseys, and I'd assume that holds true for the Red Wings. So from a financial aspect I can't see the Wings choosing to wear white in the WC.

I feel like a Winter Classic jersey would be an exception to that. Whatever they make will sell like hot cakes given the fan base, especially for the Red Wings. Look at how hard it is to find a Rangers WC jersey in comparison to a Flyers one.

If you think it's hard to find a Rangers WC wait until they start selling the Leafs version especially if the numbers are very limited like they have been in the previous years.

The issues with the Rangers WC jersey wasn't due to it being popular, Reebok literally didn't ship as many authentics as they did for the Flyers. Numerous retailers told me they weren't even able to order Rangers WC authentics, and some that did didn't recieve theirs until months after the game.

I think the WC jersey for both Detroit and Toronto will sell like hotcakes due to the two rabid fanbases, I just hope neither side gets the shaft from Reebok.

If you think it's hard to find a Rangers WC wait until they start selling the Leafs version especially if the numbers are very limited like they have been in the previous years.

I have already tried preordering one from a local place, and he was told by Reebok that he won't get any of the authentics, only replicas.

I have already tried preordering one from a local place, and he was told by Reebok that he won't get any of the authentics, only replicas.

An authentic will be made available. The question is if it will be a Canadian made 2.0 or P.O.S. Indo-edge. If it's the latter I will not own one.