Your Top Five Hockey Memories

Ok, I was digging through some photos and it got me to thinking, what are my top five favorite hockey memories? I felt like including game three of the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals Between the Blackhawks and Penguins at Chicago Stadium, but had no photo. This was the first ever championship game of any kind I went to.

Here are my top five, with photos.

5: Stanley Cup at work. As you can tell by my location and the background I work for the government. The date on the photo is wrong, it was one year later when the Blackhawks were in DC for the Capitals game and to visit the White House for their 2010 triumph.

DSCN0017.jpg

4: Big Chill at the Big House. Went with my best pal and the Wolverines destroyed the Spartans 5-0 in front of a world record crowd (until the 2013 Winter Classic) of over 104,000.

163412_468207891890_672036890_6171752_1567463_n.jpg

3: 2009 Winter Classic. It was cold as hell and the Blackhawks lost but still really great to be there with my brothers and cousin.

WinterClassic.jpg

2: Photo shoot with Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman and Mark Messier. As you can tell the photo is really old. I think it was 1989 or there abouts. I was at the Turcotte hockey camp in Glenview, Illinois. Out of all the campers they chose three kids to do a photo shoot, for a card company I think. They picked me (in front of Messier), my cousin (in front of Hull) and a random kid. All the guys were great staying after and signing for all the campers. I still have a Sherwood stick signed by all three.

TurcotteHockeyCamp.jpg

1: Game 6, 2010 Stanley Cup Finals. I took a half day off work and went up on the train. My dad left work he had in NYC and met me there. We went with some of his co-workers who had a case in Philly. We were at the opposite end of where Kane scored, I jumped up when he got to the blue line screaming that SH** deflected in. They did not show the replay and I did not see it until two hours later at the hotel.

Game6.jpg

My top five memories would be...

Watching my Hawks hoist the 2010 Cup....

Being at the 1991 ALL Star Skills competition....

Being at the 1991 All Star game...

Being at the 2009 Winter Classic....

Winning the 2010 Comcast Ultimate Hawks Fan Cave contest and having Hall of Famer Denis Savard in my home for the morning....

another one would have to be-being personally invited to Savard's home to help Comcast film a spot with Savvy and all his personal memorabilia and being interviewed and in the segment....

5 - Game Used Jersey stand at Coliseum

4 - 2009 draft party @ Nassau Coliseum and the drafting of John Tavares

3 - Waiting after/before games for autographs and the conversations that follow

2 - Playing roller hockey with Kirill Kabanov over this past summer

1 - Toronto Maple Leafs @ NY Islanders Game IV 2002 ECQF: Easily the best hockey game I have ever attended. Not only was that the Shawn Bates' penalty shot game, my brother and I both rode the zamboni (in between the warmups and first period).

Not many choices. I am an Isles fan (born in '92 after all)

This is a great idea for a topic.

Here are mine.

#5 - I guess I could say the Stanley Cup. I have only even been to the Hall once before. I didn't appreciate the history like I do now when I was younger, so that probably played a large role in it. But I went a couple years ago with my girlfriend and I definitely enjoyed it. I have a picture of it too

IMG_0152.jpg

#4 - It will happen in about 4 days, getting to meet some of the Flyers players, specifically Timonen, at the Flyers carnival on Sunday

#3 - One of the first ever Flyers games I went to was this beauty between the Leafs and Flyers.

I have hated Domi ever since, see 45 second mark

#2 - When I was younger, outside of the Royal York Hotel in Toronto trying to get autographs from the Flyers players, Brian Boucher bought me a hot chocolate from Tim Hortons. Maybe not quite hockey related, but this was definitely cool for a 10 year old at the time

#1 - Attending game 4 of the 2010 Cup Finals. Despite the end result not being what Flyers fans were looking for, that day was still one of the coolest experiences of my life. I still watch the videos occasionally that I took from the game. I got my picture with Pierre McGuire too, he's a legend in Canada. Terrible news the day he left TSN. And yes I have a pretty bad playoff beard

IMG_0022.jpg

Great topic idea..! Man I have to think about this....

Okay,

#5 World Cup of Hockey 96 Canada vs. Sweden It went into the 6th period if I remember correctly. One of the greatest games I've ever attended.

2858786610106460649MjdeuT_th.jpg

#4 Spring 1997 The Flyers made the Finals and after attending the first two games in Philly, my GF (at the time) and I flew up to Toronto, hit the HOF and got to see the cup up close. Needless to say we got a better look at it than the Flyers did...

2259039830106460649WJxFVJ_th.jpg

#3 NHL All Star game at the Spectrum in Philly.. The 75th Anniversary of the NHL featuring the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, Bourque, Hull...

#2 My "beer league" team Playing the Flyers Alumni 2 years in a row...Memories of our goalie stoning Brian Propp on 2 or 3 breakaways the first game...(did he hear it from the rest of his team) And after getting taken into the boards by Tim Kerr, I somehow scored a goal in the second game...The greatest moment in my playing days...

#1 Attending the Flyers Alumni game at the Winter Classic this past December...seeing Bernie Play again, Eric Lindros' well deserved ovation from the fans and seeing all the players that my late father and I used to watch together over the last 30 years. Somehow Dad was with me this day...

2228539940106460649afZlga_th.jpg

2637173080106460649eHBGYJ_th.jpg

Great topic idea..! Man I have to think about this and I'll get back to you.

I know...I like it too! I gotta think and then go back and edit mine. Being an Isles fan isn't that bad. I have to have some memories

Wow, you were at that double-overtime World Cup epic between Canada and Sweden? That's pretty wild. Didn't Theo win that game with like ten seconds left in the 2nd OT period?

Wow, you were at that double-overtime World Cup epic between Canada and Sweden? That's pretty wild. Didn't Theo win that game with like ten seconds left in the 2nd OT period?

Was it the second OT? Geez, it's been a while...We went to all the WC games at the "Corestates Center" USA-Canada was the official opening event of "Spectrum 2". I actually was fortunate enough to go to the unofficial opening event which was pretty much a "dry run" for the ushers and concession vendors...We saw Ray Charles from the 3rd row courtesy of Mr. Snider. That night, the first thing I did was run to my Flyers seat location to see where my "new home" would be, I was more interested in that than the concert though.

So you were also there when LeClair tied it up at 3-3 with less than 10 seconds left, right? That's friggin awesome. I wasn't ever at any of those games but that final series is very high up on my list. With all due and deserved respect to the 1980 Olympic team, that 1996 squad was the greatest American team ever assembled. Hands down. I truly and honestly love every player on that entire roster.

So you were also there when LeClair tied it up at 3-3 with less than 10 seconds left, right? That's friggin awesome. I wasn't ever at any of those games but that final series is very high up on my list. With all due and deserved respect to the 1980 Olympic team, that 1996 squad was the greatest American team ever assembled. Hands down. I truly and honestly love every player on that entire roster.

I'll have to dig up some of my prints from team USA and scan them into my laptop. I know I have Shots of Richter, LeClair, Smolinski, Hatcher...

The only other scan I have in here is Gretz....

2959646610106460649JAtfmt_th.jpg

I still remember where I was for Game 3 of that final series. I was at my friend's house in his backyard watching it on a TV that his father had set up. It was a Saturday night too so we didn't have to worry about school the next day. When Hull scored the tying goal, we went nuts. Then, when Amonte scored the go-ahead goal a few seconds after, it was just bedlam. We were watching it outside and his father and uncle were watching it inside so the entire piece of property was going crazy. I was already a huge Amonte fan since he came up with the Rangers but that just cemented him as hero status in my book. That entire tournament was so much fun. My other friend went out the next day and bought a Richter USA jersey too. They really need to bring the World Cup back.

I still remember where I was for Game 3 of that final series. I was at my friend's house in his backyard watching it on a TV that his father had set up. It was a Saturday night too so we didn't have to worry about school the next day. When Hull scored the tying goal, we went nuts. Then, when Amonte scored the go-ahead goal a few seconds after, it was just bedlam. We were watching it outside and his father and uncle were watching it inside so the entire piece of property was going crazy. I was already a huge Amonte fan since he came up with the Rangers but that just cemented him as hero status in my book. That entire tournament was so much fun. My other friend went out the next day and bought a Richter USA jersey too. They really need to bring the World Cup back.

I'd love to see it again...Especially in Philly :thumbsup: We met so many people from all over the world...The tournament was amazing watching LeClair going up against Lindros...I'll be honest, At the begining, I never thought the US would beat Canada...by the final game I was a believer. It was a case of good players coming together to make a GREAT team. They may have been less talented individually than the Canadians but in the end they were the best team.

5. Attending first NHL game. Penguins vs Islanders 3/16/96. Sat 2nd row on the faceoff circle in the end the Penguins shot twice. Got a pic of me behind 66 and Francis in the warmnup. Pens won 6-4 I believe.

4. The return of 66. 12/27/00 Remember hearing the news of the comeback and basically counting the days down until he came back. Point on first shift, goal in the second. Business as usual for the owner.

3. Mario's last game before first retirement. Still get chills when he takes the puck and buries it. I was 11, remember standing on the arm of the couch going nuts.Watch the highlight on youtube too frequently.

2. Pens game 7 victory against the wings in 2009. Was at the bar with 2 friends and my girlfriend. Nearly passed out from the excitement of the final minute or so. Celebrated the win from my knees and stood up to receive a free shot from a Blackhawks fan that I befriended through the playoff run. (BTW I live in a hockey wasteland.)

1. Same girlfriend takes me to the banner raising. Though it was standing room only, easily the greatest night of my life. The place absolutely exploded when they revealed the Cup. I hope to experience another atmosphere like that, absolutely electric. Will remember forever. She's still around, for a looooong time. Sadly, my last trip to the Igloo.

I got my picture with Pierre McGuire too, he's a legend in Canada. Terrible news the day he left TSN.

His name is Regis and he is from Jersey.

5. Caps-Rags Game 7 2009. One of the few times I have gone completely crazy watching a game was when Fedorov scored the goal. lol Redden

4. 98 Caps Finals run.

3. Meeting Bobby Orr at the 97 ASG fan fest. Got into the autograph line by pure luck.

2. 1st game NHL I saw in person, Sharks-Kings at the Shark tank the last season Gretzky played in LA. Ended as a 6-6 tie which perfectly summed up how awful both teams were.

1. Going to 98 ASG. Only time I got to see Bondra in his prime play in person. Didn't get to meet him but did get to meet Khabibulin and Dmitri Mironov, whose jersey from the game I eventually ended up with.

Great topic,

#5 My family and me watching Hockey Night in Canada ,the Canadiens were playing on the road against the kings in 1982, Back then we only had 2 channels and every saturday became a tradition of watching Wayne and Shuster and the Hockey Night in Canada. ###### i miss being A kid, Canadiens won the game and i accidentaly banged my head into my mom celebrating giving her a bruise under her eye.

#4 Canadiens "humpty dumpty" practice where i got to skate with Chris Chelios I was in awe the whole day just being in the forum for the first time i was speechless, i can remember the smells of the old forum and walking in from atwater street seeing the escalators from the windows.

#3 1986 going to my first game a play off game no less and seeing this young skinny kid in nets.......I had a new hero Saint Patrick

#2 Watching the 1987 Canada cup in my Canada jersey with the volume on MAX with my mom and sister and hearing the words "GRETZKY TO LEMIEUX"

#1 My greatest hockey moment isn't even actually a moment in hockey it's more a story of how funny life can be i became friends with a guy at a hockey tournament, he played for the other team we were 16 and he was playing for the opposing team he was fast and could play. He became a dentist and moved to maine funny thing is we stayed in touch and introduced me to some friends of his who became my friends one of them would be related to Ray Bourque. I got to sit on many occasions and listen to stories from Ray. One day i got to go to dinner with my friend ,Ray and Bobby Orr .They were talking about so many incredible topics i must have sat there the whole night just listening......Simply remarkable night i was very lucky.

#5: U18 Finland against Sweden in my hometown arena. Many future NHL stars on the ice, like Joni Pitkänen, Jussi Jokinen and Kari Lehtonen.

#4: Finland - Canada in Oulu on autumn 1991. Some of the names on the ice included Sean Burke, Eric Lindros, Teemu Selänne, Ray Whitney.

#3: Kärpät Oulu - Liberec (European Trophy), August 2011. Got a chance to see Petr Nedved skating on my hometown's arena rink. This year Kärpät played in Raahe again, against Budejovice, and Ales Kotalik was there.

#2: During the NHL lockout season 2004-2005, I went to see a Finnish Elite League team Rauman Lukko practice in my hometown arena. Dwayne Roloson and Hal Gill were there,

#1: NHL Helsinki Premiere Anaheim Ducks - Buffalo Sabres. Although the game was a bit boring, the overall atmosphere was great. And also I got a chance to meet Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu after the game. And it was my first NHL game after all.

#1- This season thus far in Gwinnett has been the most entertaining yet. Hopefully we will push deep into the playoffs and make it even more memorable.

#2- Getting my wife her first gameworn from her favorite player. Prior to that I had pitched an autographed puck idea to the team and they did it, being as how it was my idea I let her get his puck. It worked like a shirts off their back deal but with minor league budgets it is a little easier to do a puck. We both had a laugh when he asked her if she wanted his number on the puck (meaning jersey #) and she was like hell yeah!

#3- Any of the kids clubs events but the first one last year was awesome. My girl played a round of mini-golf with Billy Sauer and he was a great guy. Lots of good conversation and he continued to say hi to us whenever we saw him in the arena

#4- First NHL game at Philips arena. Rangers won. Woo! I later learned to love the Thrashers and miss them but my heart is with Gwinnett and NYR for NHL.

#5- First game ever, 1986 AHL, Maine Mariners. Loved those guys.

Don't have any big ones, but here are mines:

1) Going to my first Stars game in Long Island against the Islanders. Sat at loudville, where all the die hard islanders were and I was the only Stars fan. Saw my favorite player Modano scored the game winner in OT and being the only one clapping in the stands.

2) Going to the 2nd Stars game in Long Island (yea I live in NY). Sat couple roles behind the Stars bench and saw them blow out the Islanders.

3) Going to my third Stars game, Shootout thriller.

4) Going to my 1st hockey game between the Islanders and Oilers.

5) This one is watching it online, - Modano's retirement announcement.

1) Going to my first Stars game in Long Island against the Islanders. Sat at loudville, where all the die hard islanders were and I was the only Stars fan. Saw my favorite player Modano scored the game winner in OT and being the only one clapping in the stands.

329, where my dogs at? Who who who who who who who who who who

5. Second game of a back to backer with the Blues in old Chicago Stadium, when a big brawl (about 5 pairs going at it) broke out during the pre game warm ups.

4. First Hawks game with my sister, when the Hawks came back from 2 down to tie it in the 3rd and then win in OT.

3. US - Canada in the Olympics. Supposed to be date night with my wife. Earlier in the evening I had asked about ditching our plans and going to a bar to watch the game. She was not in favor, so at the appropriate time we headed to the restaurant. On the way my wife says, "You know - if you want to ditch the restaurant and go to the bar for the game we can." Then I say, "Good, because I'm wearing my USA jersey under my sweater just in case..." rolleyes.gif

2. First Hawk game I ever saw on TV, with my dad, at his friends home, around about a 12" black and white TV with a little round antenna on the back to get the UHF stations. Never saw the puck once.

1. Kaner's goal in 2010 finals.

1) Blackhawks winning the cup.

2) Watching Wayne Gretzky for the first time. The first hockey game I saw was a Gretzky w/the Kings game and I was hooked from there.

3) Keith Primeau scoring against in the Pens in a 6 OT playoff game. Originally I was a Flyers fan - I switched to the Blackhawks post-lock out.

4) The Flyers making it to the finals in 97.

5) Playing NHL 94 on the Genesis for countless hours back in the day.

5) Watch Tony Amonte on TV - thought his long hair was the coolest thing ever!

4) Blackhawks vs Sharks 2010 season - got up in the middle of the night to watch this one..the Hawks beat the Sharks 7-2 and it was the first sign that the Hawks could win the Cup!

3) Watch the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup in 2010 - also got up in the middle of the night to watch this historical moment live on TV

2) Attend my first Blackhawks game (NHL Premiere 2009 in Helsinki, Finland)

1) Meeting Blackhawks chairman Rocky Wirtz and Blackhawks players Patrick Sharp and Brian Campbell at a pep rally, a day before the NHL Premiere game. It was totally awesome!

dsc08564.jpg

dsc08584.jpg

dsc08586x.jpg