Repairing a jersey hole

Guys, I had a little mishap in my pickup game Saturday morning and I was wondering if you could give me any advice.

I snagged my brand-new authentic Penguins practice jersey on a sharp spot along the boards and tore a good-sized hole along the side. I got the jersey specifically to play in so I figured that it would suffer a little wear, but I would like to fix up this hole if I can. I don't really buy gamers, so I'm not really savvy about how such tears are usually repaired. I was thinking about cutting a little patch of air-knit material from an old practice jersey I have, and having it stitched to the inside of the tear, but I'm concerned the air-knit material will fray. Any of you guys have any suggestions...or maybe a photo of such a repair I could use as reference?

Thanks in advance, fellas!

post-1842-0-14645400-1329756316_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-85541200-1329756324_thumb.jp

Here's what you do: Turn the jersey inside-out so you're looking at the extra elbow piece. Find yourself a piece of material, be it ultrafil or air-knit, and cut a sqaure-ish that is large enough to cover the entire hole. Then, stitch a zig-zag border around the edge of that square. When you've got that piece down on top of the hole, turn the jersey back out the right way and arrange the material as best you can to go back flat the way it was before it tore. Then, take some same-colored thread and stitch the crap out of the loose fabric over top of the swatch you cut and stitched inside. Don't be stingy with the thread either. Make sure that bad boy is stitched up nice. Then, turn it inside-out again and do the same thing from that side. That will give you a nice little repair that should last you a while AND some washings too.

Here's what you do: Turn the jersey inside-out so you're looking at the extra elbow piece. Find yourself a piece of material, be it ultrafil or air-knit, and cut a sqaure-ish that is large enough to cover the entire hole. Then, stitch a zig-zag border around the edge of that square. When you've got that piece down on top of the hole, turn the jersey back out the right way and arrange the material as best you can to go back flat the way it was before it tore. Then, take some same-colored thread and stitch the crap out of the loose fabric over top of the swatch you cut and stitched inside. Don't be stingy with the thread either. Make sure that bad boy is stitched up nice. Then, turn it inside-out again and do the same thing from that side. That will give you a nice little repair that should last you a while AND some washings too.

That's basically what I did to repair a tear in a jersey I wear to play in. You can see it here.

2102243510107003020S600x600Q85.jpg

You can also go to a fabric store and buy a bottle of fraystop to put along the edges of the piece you cut to sew inside the jeresy.

Thanks boys! Exactly the kind of know-how I was lookin' for!