SVP Sports Sale

HockeyMusic

The seller is one that purshased a lot from different stores ,I see a lot of new items in his listing not sure if he keeps going back ,I will go one time for myself and look for a jersey or two

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seller is one that purshased a lot from different stores ,I see a lot of new items in his listing not sure if he keeps going back ,I will go one time for myself and look for a jersey or two

I think he's just slowly listing what he bought over time, instead of all at once.

I think it really bites how many people bought these and then mark them up 2-3 times what they paid. Would buying at $60 and selling at $100 not be enough profit?

I'm not necessarily defending flipping, but after subtracting seller and PayPal fees, a $100 sale price wouldn't leave you with that much profit. Also you're assuming every one of the jerseys will be sold. Every retailer may have inventory that just sits and takes up space. If even one jersey is unsold, that's a $60 + tax investment (or loss, if you prefer) that has not been recovered. SVP sale jerseys were non-returnable, I believe.

What I really wish were that ebay went to true auctions. Start your item at $1 and see wnat the market decides it is worth. Keeping items listed for weeks or months on end at inflated values that no one wants to pay is ridiculous.

It seems guys that have jerseys from the SVP sale will be looking to dump a bit I have noticed jerseys coming down in price even the ones sold to members here that turned around and listed them at double are know at 1 and half the price . OFFER 100.00 AND SAY HE IS STILL MAKING A PROFIT .

I'm not necessarily defending flipping, but after subtracting seller and PayPal fees, a $100 sale price wouldn't leave you with that much profit. Also you're assuming every one of the jerseys will be sold. Every retailer may have inventory that just sits and takes up space. If even one jersey is unsold, that's a $60 + tax investment (or loss, if you prefer) that has not been recovered. SVP sale jerseys were non-returnable, I believe.

Even after ebay and paypal fees, a $100 sale nets you about $86. That is a 43% profit. Let's call it 35% to account for tax and gas. The stock market doesn't even get you a 35% profit these days. Most of these guys are trying to make 200-250% profit after fees and there is not much defense for that. Additionally, if they sold them for $100 they would likely turn them around quickly and can then use their profit to invest in their next flip.

make 200-250% profit after fees and there is not much defense for that.

Why do they need to defend it? If the market supports that price, then more power to them. Just because you don't want to pay the price being asked doesn't make it outrageous. Just ignore and walk away.

For some, the SVP sale was great! Got what I wanted. But for others with the time and money saw a chance to make a profit. I can't knock them for that.

True but if those sellers are having a hard time selling and are members here than maybe time to make a few bucks and sell like others did to members here

I think they thought the demand would be high for such jerseys and their prices reflect that. But the laugh is on them because most of us know current prices and can wait them out. The sellers are just looking for the uneducated buyers who think they are getting a fantastic price. It's their decision and like it or not. That's how it is!

For some, the SVP sale was great! Got what I wanted. But for others with the time and money saw a chance to make a profit. I can't knock them for that.

:glare:

I didn't get what i wanted and the a-hole that has what i want won't come off his BIN price!

:noway:

Is that jerseybaron? I have asked them if they would accept a lower price for their jerseys. They came down $60. But that was on a slow moving jersey (58+).

:rolleyes:

no comment!

:P

What I really wish were that ebay went to true auctions. Start your item at $1 and see wnat the market decides it is worth. Keeping items listed for weeks or months on end at inflated values that no one wants to pay is ridiculous.

This is up to the seller. You can choose a true auction, auction without a buyout (BIN), fixed price, and fixed price with best offer.

As both a buyer and seller, I prefer the fixed price with best offer, though some people simply don't use it the way it's meant to work. You would think making an offer, you would expect a counter offer. If you don't like the counter offer, counter with something of your own...too many times, you never hear from the person again, which is weird to me.

Anyway, regarding "flipping" there's nothing wrong with it, IMO. If someone wants to take the risk to try to make a few bucks, I don't see anything negative about it. Sure, it's nice to help fellow collectors and many have done that, but some that tried to help ended up burned by people who said they'd take something, wanted something, etc, then bailed.

However well I think of someone for helping, I don't really see flipping as the opposite of that (ie, bad). Most folks probably do a little of both most of the time anyway. It's one of the smartest ways to collect, frankly.

This is up to the seller. You can choose a true auction, auction without a buyout (BIN), fixed price, and fixed price with best offer.

As both a buyer and seller, I prefer the fixed price with best offer, though some people simply don't use it the way it's meant to work. You would think making an offer, you would expect a counter offer. If you don't like the counter offer, counter with something of your own...too many times, you never hear from the person again, which is weird to me.

Anyway, regarding "flipping" there's nothing wrong with it, IMO. If someone wants to take the risk to try to make a few bucks, I don't see anything negative about it. Sure, it's nice to help fellow collectors and many have done that, but some that tried to help ended up burned by people who said they'd take something, wanted something, etc, then bailed.

However well I think of someone for helping, I don't really see flipping as the opposite of that (ie, bad). Most folks probably do a little of both most of the time anyway. It's one of the smartest ways to collect, frankly.

There is not anything wrong with it, I just think it sucks, especially towards members of board communities. People here were initially willing to pick these up for other members as a favor if their expenses were covered. Then they see $$$. It is one thing to try to sell things to the unknowing on ebay. It is another to try to take advantage of others who know where the items came from but were not able to pounce quickly enough.

There is not anything wrong with it, I just think it sucks, especially towards members of board communities. People here were initially willing to pick these up for other members as a favor if their expenses were covered. Then they see $$$. It is one thing to try to sell things to the unknowing on ebay. It is another to try to take advantage of others who know where the items came from but were not able to pounce quickly enough.

IMO, it's either all wrong or all right. The knowledge of the buyer really shouldn't matter. I get what you're saying, but that's more an issue of 'having a lot of nerve' than whether it's ok or not. This certainly can affect our perceptions of each other, and in many ways that can be more valuable than money in terms of building 'collecting karma', but in the end, if someone decides to flip something they own and someone else is ok with paying the price, that's between them.

Everyone here knows this stuff is worth more than $60 or whatever it was. I appreciate that people sold stuff at cost, or at a small markup to board members who couldn't otherwise get to the sale. At the same time, I don't believe anyone should have felt 'obligated' to do it. Doing it because it feels good to help a collector out is one thing, doing it because of some unwritten rule is another.

:rolleyes:

time to put this thread aside..it's nothing more than a re-hash.

-_-

sure was fun while it lasted!

• 2 weeks later...

Would love a White Isles 56-58 and a Sens 56-58 and kings 6100 3rd in 54..if anyone goes back and wants to ship..

Thanks

Steeles outlet no longer has jerseys. Cartwright Warehouse outlet has some, and was told they have Ottawa Senators, Minnesota Wild, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Edmonton Oilers, Chicago Blackhawks, LA Kings, and a few more teams. I will be going to pick up a Thrashers which they confirmed they have. I will take a quick inventory of what they have and let people know. I'm willing to help people out looking to take advantage of what's left of the sale.

I'll check for White Isles 56-58 Sens 56-58 and Kings 6100 3rd, , WIld 58, Kings black or white 6100 in 52.