Thinking long term about my collection...

Hockey Bob

So, I have been collecting for a few years and all my friends / family think I am nuts.

I have turned another friend on to collecting and his wife wants to strangle me.

If he and I are out and we talk about jerseys or something we saw pop up on E-bay there is a collective groan from the group usually followed up with a "Here we go again"...

I don't have any kids (and thinking I don't want one at this stage in the game)

Just wondering, have any of you thought about what you will eventually do with your collection?

Are you going to sell it, leave it in a Will to someone, take it to the grave with you?

I have thought about leaving them to the IJ board in some demented raffle when I am on my deathbed but life throws curveballs and ya never know when yer number is up.

I guess this is inspired from the estate sales I see popping up on E-bay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sfv1962/m.html?item=270935256389&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

I'd hate to see some of my gems go for next to nothing because my family didn't care or didn't know what they were worth.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably take one to the grave, but the rest will more than likely go to my daughter who can do as she pleases. The hobby part of collecting has given to me lasting memories and I have made a couple of friends along the way, but because it's my passion, it does not necessarily translate to be my daughters passion. So, it's up to her to decide what she does with them. And if she is able to put that towards her passion, then I am very happy.

You are fortunate to have that friend, also interested in collecting jerseys. He could be of great help to your family, if the worst should occur, in making sure your collection is liquidated for close to top value. It's clear they are not very interested in keeping the jerseys, so your friend will insure that they are not sold off for cents on the dollar just to be rid of them.

You might also leave a note, indicating what you consider each to be worth...fair market value.

My wife is so looking forward to setting fire to both me and everything I own that I'd hate to rob her of the pleasure.

As a 19 year old, I seriously hope I have some time to decide. But I plan on keeping everything with me for as long as possible and will keep them in the family.

Haven't thought about it. If I die while still collecting then I'd guess my wife or whoever would do what they please with the stuff (my guess is she'd hand it over to another friend of mine who collects) but I'm honestly not worried about it because at that point I'd be dead!

If I live to be a nice old age my collection would probably end up like another older friend of mine where I'll need to downsize and be forced to sell. I would guess there will be a point in my life where I'd like this stuff to be gone but again who knows.

I haven't thought of it either...I'm hopefully a few decades away from that lol (only 27)...still not 100% sure if I'm going to have kids or not so that and if they got into hockey/jerseys would be a big part. Also my nephew (almost 3) seems to be getting into hockey (take him to the QMJHL games) so if he takes a liking to it like I did that might be another option. But who knows in 50+ years a lot of things can change

I am taking my 1st authentic jersey to the grave. My Selanne 3rd 2010 Ducks Jersey. The rest I shall give to my kids. One each when they are adults and a couple others when I get older. At least one for each sport for the ball and chain. Haha.

At some point I will reduce my collection to the few I want to pass along to my kids. I hope they become huge hockey fans and decide to keep the jerseys I pass down to them. I admit my collection is larger than I want it to be so I will definitely be trimming it down this summer. I went a little over board with the international jersey collecting in 2010.

You ask a very good question Bob. I too have wondered what in the world am I going to do with my collection should my number come up.

While I don't plan on checking out any time soon, you never know if the next day's mail truck has your name on it.

I've thought about selling, but I'm having too much fun collecting right now. So, that is not really a consideration at this point.

What I'll probably do is make an inventory that will include the price I paid for each jersey, along with any customization costs, and leave it for my wife and/or daughter. That way they'll know these things have some value and aren't just colorful drop clothes. This way, my next of kin will have some idea of the collection's value if they should ever be inclined to sell, which I suspect will happen the day after they return from the cemetery. Obviously, you might not recoup what I paid for them on ebay, but you can get something.

I guess I only ask because my NHL Jersey's alone number over 200.

There have been a few good thoughts about leaving them to a neice or nephew that are really interested in Hockey and the hobby of collecting.

Nobody wants to think all gloom n doom when the weather in Chicago is so nice but I guess the comment I am gonna go with is "not worried about it because at that point I'd be dead!"

Maybe I'll sell raffle tickets on the board for a dollar each and write up in my Will who the winner is, with as many members on here I should be able to get a LOT more!

Good luck finding space for them all!!!!

:lol:

I honestly think im done with collecting now, so with the jerseys i do keep for the long run. Well i'll give them to someone one day and make that person happy. If you really think about this topic it makes collecting seem like a terrible idea ultimately, all this money we spend now on clothing that will end up in an estate sale, yard sale, or sold on ebay for a fraction of what its worth.

I honestly think im done with collecting now, so with the jerseys i do keep for the long run. Well i'll give them to someone one day and make that person happy. If you really think about this topic it makes collecting seem like a terrible idea ultimately, all this money we spend now on clothing that will end up in an estate sale, yard sale, or sold on ebay for a fraction of what its worth.

Bingo!

But it's just money and ya can't take that with you either.

Maybe I'll go back to collecting hookers n beer...

I guess I only ask because my NHL Jersey's alone number over 200.

There have been a few good thoughts about leaving them to a neice or nephew that are really interested in Hockey and the hobby of collecting.

Nobody wants to think all gloom n doom when the weather in Chicago is so nice but I guess the comment I am gonna go with is "not worried about it because at that point I'd be dead!"

Maybe I'll sell raffle tickets on the board for a dollar each and write up in my Will who the winner is, with as many members on here I should be able to get a LOT more!

Good luck finding space for them all!!!!

:lol:

I never realized you're right up the road from me. I'm 2 towns over in Bolingbrook!

FHG - It's not worth thinking about to be honest with you. Enjoy the hobby while you're here and kicking. Down the road I may or may not still enjoy having a closet full of the things but that'll be for me to determine when I get to that point of my life.

I never realized you're right up the road from me. I'm 2 towns over in Bolingbrook!

FHG - It's not worth thinking about to be honest with you. Enjoy the hobby while you're here and kicking. Down the road I may or may not still enjoy having a closet full of the things but that'll be for me to determine when I get to that point of my life.

You are so right, its rather depressing to think about especially only being 22. But the one thing that does inspire me is all the rare 80's and 90's jerseys that pop up on ebay and fetch large amounts of money, that makes me want to keep the jerseys around and then sell them way down the line when i eventually need or have to. But for now im gonna enjoy what i have for sure.

I hope someday I'll have a kid and then I can pass it down to him/her. I think I'll designate a few that are essential and make them like a family heirloom so that it get passed down generation to generation. If he/she doesn't turn out to be a big sports fan, then I might just get rid of the rest that aren't essential before I pass, to ensure the kid will get as much as possible from the proceeds. Like many of you said, I'd hate to see that they get sold for peanuts when they could be worth a lot more.

In the meantime, don't think about it too much, just enjoy the deals and steals that come around, like the SVP sale.

I honestly think I will be done with hockey jerseys very soon. My plan was to find a few Sharks jerseys I could wear to games, a black Gretzky Kings, a black Lemieux Penguins, and perhaps a Kariya Mighty ducks jersey. I'm about halfway there. After that, I will turn my attention to a few MLB and NFL jerseys that I'm still on the hunt for. I want the core of my jerseys to be from hometown teams to ensure that I will wear them. If I have any jerseys that I end up not wearing or don't see myself wearing, then I will sell them.

This is actually something I've thought about previously.

I don't have any kids and there's a fair chance I won't ever. I'd give a couple jerseys to my brother and my nephews, a couple to my two best friends, but honestly none of them really collect jerseys. My University of Kentucky hockey jerseys will probably go back to the team in hopes someone else can carry on the collection for historical purposes. A few jerseys will be given out to some members here I've become friends with. The vast majority of my collection will be left to sell off with strict instructions to post them here instead of dumping them off at good will or something.

You are so right, its rather depressing to think about especially only being 22. But the one thing that does inspire me is all the rare 80's and 90's jerseys that pop up on ebay and fetch large amounts of money, that makes me want to keep the jerseys around and then sell them way down the line when i eventually need or have to. But for now im gonna enjoy what i have for sure.

What are we going to be the richest guys in the graveyard?

I guess for the very few jerseys I have that have small historical significance, I can have them offered to the individual's family that wore the jersey (in the case with my Bobby Hull). I'm sure there are a few members here that own some pieces that might even be worthy to become part of the Hockey HoF collection.

One thing's for sure. Most of us will look real snazzy in our caskets.

I'm hoping to be cremated wearing a Wild Wing jersey.

I vote Hockey Bob started the most depressing thread ever.

Yeah - BOOOOOOOOO BOB!

I did get a chuckle out of this response.

:lol: :lol:

That wasn't the intent, just trying to stir some of you to sell me all yer stuff cheap!

:P