Thinking long term about my collection...

Hockey Bob

not that i am bragging...ok i am bragging :) i had 2 shirts of mine that i had loaned to the hockey hall of fame :)

Sadly today i received a really good offer from an auction house for most of my collection, i am on the verge of cashing out. The Hobby has changed so much in 10 years from it being almost a clandestine underground club of preservers of hockey history to what is today. Today it seems more filled with people who want to make money. Maybe its time for me to let go of my collection and put some money aside for my kids.

If i do sell my collection one specification is that it will not be sold to a Card company and i will get that in writing of course i will likely never know but hey i can dream right?

So you all see , you may not have to deal with me anymore !!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will keep them in my family and hopefully teach my future kids about their history, rarity, and the stories behind the players. If all else fails I will add a portion to my will that no family member may ever sell them or give them away, just like the family members of many 1972 U.S.A. basketball players cannot accept the silver medals after we were cheated against the commies.

Interesting thread. A lot of good points, guys!

I'd like to be buried in my '67-'68 Penguins Bathgate jersey, which is my favorite jersey in my collection. Outside of that one, I will likely, at some point, try and find other collectors or my potential children, to give the jerseys to. I would rather have them go to a good home, hopefully to someone who will appreciate them, and add them to their collection. :) It's sort of like recycling, passing jerseys from one collector to another with means to keep them or further pass them on.

So, I have been collecting for a few years and all my friends / family think I am nuts.

I have turned another friend on to collecting and his wife wants to strangle me.

If he and I are out and we talk about jerseys or something we saw pop up on E-bay there is a collective groan from the group usually followed up with a "Here we go again"...

I don't have any kids (and thinking I don't want one at this stage in the game)

Just wondering, have any of you thought about what you will eventually do with your collection?

Are you going to sell it, leave it in a Will to someone, take it to the grave with you?

I have thought about leaving them to the IJ board in some demented raffle when I am on my deathbed but life throws curveballs and ya never know when yer number is up.

I guess this is inspired from the estate sales I see popping up on E-bay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sfv1962/m.html?item=270935256389&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

I'd hate to see some of my gems go for next to nothing because my family didn't care or didn't know what they were worth.

Do you have pictures of your collection? May I see, if possible?

Do you have pictures of your collection? May I see, if possible?

I have some Photo logged.

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/HockeyBob32/

When I find time I have a recently purchased group to add and I just noticed none of my Chicago jerseys are in this album.

I guess I need to stop buying and start working on logging. :thumbsup:

Quite a collection! Very nice. Congratulations.

When I find time I have a recently purchased group to add and I just noticed none of my Chicago jerseys are in this album.

Very nice! I would take much pride in that collection.

not that i am bragging...ok i am bragging :) i had 2 shirts of mine that i had loaned to the hockey hall of fame :)

Sadly today i received a really good offer from an auction house for most of my collection, i am on the verge of cashing out. The Hobby has changed so much in 10 years from it being almost a clandestine underground club of preservers of hockey history to what is today. Today it seems more filled with people who want to make money. Maybe its time for me to let go of my collection and put some money aside for my kids.

If i do sell my collection one specification is that it will not be sold to a Card company and i will get that in writing of course i will likely never know but hey i can dream right?

So you all see , you may not have to deal with me anymore !!!

givem my info .. id like a good offer on my iihf collection.

This thread has turned pretty morbid. What seems to be the theme is that many of us are only willing to part with our favorite jerseys in death :lol:

You want to sell me your Sharks jerseys...

hypnosis.gif

You will sell me your Sharks jerseys

jedi-mind-trick_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

You want to sell me your Sharks jerseys...

hypnosis.gif

You will sell me your Sharks jerseys

jedi-mind-trick_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Haha, if I ever sell either of them you will be the 1st to know.

:lol:

I kinda got a Noah's Arc thing going where I wanted 2 of each team - (1 home and 1 away) they are the only Sharks I have.

If a Mail truck comes this weekend with my name on it contact my family and tell them you called Dibs!

The rest I am donating to 'jersey4thewin' he seems like a great dude!

You guys all realize that you could appoint a trustee to your collection to make sure they're sold at a decent clip, right? Use a will, that's what they're there for. Mine are all going to my kids, unless I decide to go all Cronus on them and attempt to live forever by eating them.

Haha, if I ever sell either of them you will be the 1st to know.

:lol:

I kinda got a Noah's Arc thing going where I wanted 2 of each team - (1 home and 1 away) they are the only Sharks I have.

If a Mail truck comes this weekend with my name on it contact my family and tell them you called Dibs!

The rest I am donating to 'jersey4thewin' he seems like a great dude!

Haha, I was just trying to be funny. Thanks for the consideration, though. I'm on the hunt for one of those Sharks jerseys in a 46 or 48.

• 6 years later...

I got a kick out re-reading after several years the many morose responses (mine included) to this thread, started about 6 1/2 years ago by Hockey Bob. Me, I'm still in the business of collecting game worn AHL/IHL circa 1960s sweaters. I'm a little more selective now, still looking for my 3-4 Grails. As a result, I haven't added to the collection in about 5 years. Haven 't sold anything either. And, I still pull some of my favorites out of storage (sealed in plastic bags, stored in plastic bins) to wear when I attend Penguins and Robert Morris University games. My adult daughter advises that a guy my age shouldn't be seen in public wearing an old hockey sweater, to which I remind her that at my age I'm way, way beyond caring much what people think of the byproducts of my somewhat eccentric hobby. My reason for posting here, I'm curious as to how many who responded in this thread in 2012 are still active in the hobby, and/or still active, period! If nobody responds, I'll assume either you guys found a better way to spend your money and time or you currently reside in hockey jersey heaven. In any event, I hope you collections are in good hands. 

On 3/21/2012 at 4:05 PM, flyhighguys94 said:

I vote Hockey Bob started the most depressing thread ever.

It was fun re-reading all the comments but I still think this was the funniest one :lol:

Odd to see so many names that I don't see on here anymore but then again there are quite a few that have stood the test of time. 

My collections has grown from 200 to 500+ so I guess I didn't learn anything from my own post. 

15 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

It was fun re-reading all the comments but I still think this was the funniest one :lol:

Odd to see so many names that I don't see on here anymore but then again there are quite a few that have stood the test of time. 

My collections has grown from 200 to 500+ so I guess I didn't learn anything from my own post. 

You have 500+ jerseys? My god....

Just now, KB67 said:

You have 500+ jerseys? My god....

I have a good mix of pristine authentics to beat up worn and torn and everything in between 
I hoard and rarely sell 
I have a problems :mellow:

Guest Dr_Puck
On 3/21/2012 at 1:35 PM, flyhighguys94 said:

I honestly think im done with collecting now, so with the jerseys i do keep for the long run. 

@LouMarcon, thanks for bumping this thread because re-reading this quote from one of my favorite collectors gave me a good chuckle. Not sure this comment has aged well :D

I was in the early stages of collecting replicas when this thread started and not yet a member of IJ. So many jerseys have moved out of my collection that it's hard to keep track. In response to the OP, I've talked to my wife about finding someone to sell off my collection if/when I meet my demise. Old TBG would get the honor of doing the actual selling. 

6 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

@LouMarcon, thanks for bumping this thread because re-reading this quote from one of my favorite collectors gave me a good chuckle. Not sure this comment has aged well :D

I was in the early stages of collecting replicas when this thread started and not yet a member of IJ. So many jerseys have moved out of my collection that it's hard to keep track. In response to the OP, I've talked to my wife about finding someone to sell off my collection if/when I meet my demise. Old TBG would get the honor of doing the actual selling. 

We all love Kurt with his zany antics!!

When I die, Dr.Puck and one other friend of mine get to each keep a few they may want, and then sell off the others with the money going to my goddaughter. 

Side note: I’ve had a similar conversation with my friends on “how we want to go”.

My answer: Puck to the head. 

11 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

How many Blackhawks? ;)

And 6 years ago I just started switching over from replicas/authentics to gamers only :)

9 hours ago, furiousd said:

This made me chuckle. I double checked the profile, to make sure it wasn't some other flyhighguys94.

I was going to post the same thing ?

1 minute ago, amonte78 said:

How many Blackhawks? ;)

And 6 years ago I just started switching over from replicas/authentics to gamers only :)

I don't have a count on only Hawks but they fill 3.5 48gal bins
Not looking to move anything if that's your next question :lol:

Whenever I disclose what I have I get a lot of PM's

Us hoarders need professional help to pry items out of our hands

One day I plan on selling a lot off - my origional intent was to get all the jerseys from the 91 season with the 75th patch but there are so many Alts that I gotta have just because they are beautiful.
Still need a Montreal TBTC if anyone has one ^_^

Great reading an old post! I was actually thinking about this exact topic over the weekend. Trying to downsize a lot in my apartment and jerseys take up roughly half of my closet space. I've sold off a lot over the last few years that I had no attachment to, but recently added a handful to the collection. Now I'm looking at them thinking which ones I could get rid of and which ones I'd want to keep. I'd love to get the collection down to a dozen which I think is a pretty reasonable number