Jump to content
Hockey Bob

Thinking long term about my collection...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

 I'd love to get the collection down to a dozen which I think is a pretty reasonable number

Are you calling me unreasoable? :D

I wish I had your common sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dozen seems totally unreasonable to most of us. I couldn't get my collection down to "only" a dozen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2012 at 11:51 AM, NYIJM29 said:

As a 19 year old, I seriously hope I have some time to decide. But I plan on keeping everything with me for as long as possible and will keep them in the family.

Fool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sorta remember this thread.  I joined in late 2012 but I was lurking since about late 2010/early 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna bury the 4 jerseys I currently have and stop collecting now.

 

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

I'm just gonna bury the 4 jerseys I currently have and stop collecting now.

 

Four jerseys? You mean you bought 4 this week, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Four jerseys? You mean you bought 4 this week, right?

Right, and by "have" I meant I'm selling them and I'll ship them as soon as they arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Right, and by "have" I meant I'm selling them and I'll ship them as soon as they arrive.

That's the way to do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money for nothing and chicks for free?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Money for nothing and chicks for free?

Sounds good to me, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Money for nothing and chicks for free?

This is Nikki Sixx and I approve this message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ain’t working...

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That's the way to do it!

 

59 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Money for nothing and chicks for free?

?

Edited by jsh139

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Are you calling me unreasoable? :D

I wish I had your common sense

Ha! Hardly. Although I couldn't imagine having 200 jerseys, let alone 500. I think I'm somewhere around 50-75 and that's after unloading quite a bit.

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

A dozen seems totally unreasonable to most of us. I couldn't get my collection down to "only" a dozen. 

I mean, I agree! But still, at some point I'd like to trim it down. Maybe two dozen ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Ha! Hardly. Although I couldn't imagine having 200 jerseys, let alone 500. I think I'm somewhere around 50-75 and that's after unloading quite a bit.

I mean, I agree! But still, at some point I'd like to trim it down. Maybe two dozen ;)

Of those 50-75, how many would you wear and how often?

offseason? Non game days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The max I ever had was 50, and that was a sh!tload of jerseys. I didn’t have enough closet space for my regular clothes! I can’t even imagine 100, 200 or 500. 

I’m probably down to like 25-30 now. I haven’t counted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve stopped worrying about the number of jerseys in my collection. If I see something I want, I’ll buy it and wear it. Only one piece in my collection— the ONE and only grail I have— doesn’t get worn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Of those 50-75, how many would you wear and how often?

offseason? Non game days?

Another reason why I could probably slim down my collection. In Chicago I could obviously wear Hawks jerseys a lot. In LA, I could only wear my Hawks jerseys to a 4 regular season games (2 Kings, 2 Ducks) then playoff games or the bar. Had 2 Kings jerseys I’d wear to Kings games and wouldnt wear a jersey at all to Ducks games (almost bought a few over the years). The Hawks only visit DC once a year and the next nearest team is 3 hours so I see them play even less in person. Have 1 Caps jersey for their games. Rarely wear jerseys in home even when watching games. Never wear jerseys out unless it’s for a game  never wear jerseys in the offseason  

So to answer your question, I’d say nowadays I probably rotate between 4 jerseys; Caps ‘15 WC because I live in DC now, my Hawks ‘15/‘17 WC mashup I created because it’s one of a kind and I love it, TBTC Hawks because I’ve owned it for over 25 years, and a 2.0 Black alt because it’s a classic style. 

Edited by mdwsta4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Are you calling me unreasoable? :D

I wish I had your common sense

To each their own, I think it would be incredible to spend a weekend going through what you've got.  I've only got 43 and it takes no time to breeze through them, but with yours you could spend a good day or so uncovering some gems.

I was up to 160-175, but sold and got down to 35.  And wouldn't you know in the past 3-4 months I've got the itch to buy I guess 8 more.  My plan is pretty well laid out of what I want to collect, and it should land me at 55-60. That number is always subject to change if or when I find reasons to add more.  All authentic, no gamers, I guess a lot of the fun in the hobby for me is the whole process of acquiring the blank and having it customized. I enjoy that extra step of customizing you don't get with the gamers.

I have a nephew who is starting into collecting, so he'd be the natural choice to take over my collection or sell it off if need be.  I've got a document drawn up with all the jersey specifics and values so whoever is selling wouldn't be left in the dark.  Assuming I'm here for the long haul, I'll probably end up selling most of them off once I'm less interested in collecting, but there are a handful I'll keep no matter what and likely pass down in the family.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My whole purpose of starting the thread was just for fun, I know it's crazy how many I have but I guess I'm of the mindset of quantity over quality for most of my stuff.
I figure when I retire and the big block CCM's dry up I will be the new Jersey Baron of old stock!
Glad to hear of the new collectors starting up and I hope to one day sell everyone their "grail" at a reasonable markup :)

That said, I would like to open my small unkempt townhouse to 10 people to come in and help photo log my current collection as it has gotten out of hand.
Participants must pass a background check, be ok with cats (no allergies) and be willing to submit to a pat down upon departure, (I like to be thorough if ya know what I mean)  

Cheap beer and pizza will be provided

Applications will be reviewed by my cats Ed and Gary, please be patient as it's hard for them to type without opposable thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

That said, I would like to open my small unkempt townhouse to 10 people to come in and help photo log my current collection as it has gotten out of hand.
Participants must pass a background check, be ok with cats (no allergies) and be willing to submit to a pat down upon departure, (I like to be thorough if ya know what I mean)  

Cheap beer and pizza will be provided

Applications will be reviewed by my cats Ed and Gary, please be patient as it's hard for them to type without opposable thumbs

Beer, pizza, cool cats and a free groping, who wouldn't apply??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and I have swift diciplinary enforcers at the ready if hanybody gets handsy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a thread on a musician forum where someone asked when a guitar collection stops being a collection and becomes an illness. 

When you have to ask for help..? lol 

No offense to you guys with large collections. I still buy CDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

No offense to you guys with large collections. I still buy CDs.

We were on a plane last week and my 11 year old still has a portable DVD player we bring on trips. The flight attendant looked at it and said "Oh! I remember those!". 

We decided when it goes we will not be replacing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We were on a plane last week and my 11 year old still has a portable DVD player we bring on trips. The flight attendant looked at it and said "Oh! I remember those!". 

We decided when it goes we will not be replacing it. 

my wife took some coworkers to lunch and one said "is that...is that..!?" when he saw my 96ct CD case in the back seat.

however, our other car has my iPod Classic hooked up via USB, so that's only 8 years out of date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

my wife took some coworkers to lunch and one said "is that...is that..!?" when he saw my 96ct CD case in the back seat.

however, our other car has my iPod Classic hooked up via USB, so that's only 8 years out of date. 

I still love occasionally taking cds out of the library so I can look at the album artwork and read the lyrics, but the only ones I still bother to purchase are Rush, Iron Maiden, and Dream Theater cds. 

Sidenote on another technology LOL, my mother called me last week and asked my to hook their VCR up for them. I never laughed at her so hard in my life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×