Thinking long term about my collection...

Hockey Bob

12 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I still love occasionally taking cds out of the library so I can look at the album artwork and read the lyrics, but the only ones I still bother to purchase are Rush, Iron Maiden, and Dream Theater cds. 

Sidenote on another technology LOL, my mother called me last week and asked my to hook their VCR up for them. I never laughed at her so hard in my life.  

Currently listening to the Book of Souls

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I still love occasionally taking cds out of the library so I can look at the album artwork and read the lyrics, but the only ones I still bother to purchase are Rush, Iron Maiden, and Dream Theater cds. 

Sidenote on another technology LOL, my mother called me last week and asked my to hook their VCR up for them. I never laughed at her so hard in my life.  

That’s like the time that my father drove around for five hours to find a store just to buy a non-flat screen TV, because he did not want to get rid of the TV stand that he had, which only had a space for a square shaped TV. This was like 5 years ago. 

When I renovated, I gave him my old 37” flat screen. He bought a new stand. I bought a 55”. 

Guest Dr_Puck
1 hour ago, thebiggoalie said:

the only ones I still bother to purchase are Rush, Iron Maiden, and Dream Theater cds. 

This is why I’ll trust you to sell my jerseys if I pass. You have good taste.

I have a VCR, and I use it....

...as a booster for my DVD player so that it isn’t so low to the ground and out of remote range. 

And yeah, I realize DVDs are almost as passé as VHS tapes now. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

BTW, @Hockey Bobmight you have any blanks to sell? I believe you referred to yourself as the JerseyBaron of CCMs.

I don't earn the "Baron" title until after retirement or I reach 1000 jerseys - you'll have to wait :lol:

15 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Maybe it's just me stereotyping people, but I notice that a lot of people who dork over collections also dork over progressive bands like Dream Theater. 

Do you think John Petrucci collects hockey jerseys?

He must.

FWIW, I had a coworker play Erotomania the other day while trying to prove to him that "metal" can be just as complex as classical. 

17 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

FWIW, I had a coworker play Erotomania the other day while trying to prove to him that "metal" can be just as complex as classical. 

Randy Rhoads would have been my go-to there. 

Guest Dr_Puck
48 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Maybe it's just me stereotyping people, but I notice that a lot of people who dork over collections also dork over progressive bands like Dream Theater. 

We ruined another thread by turning it into a Pink Floyd love fest, might as well ruin this one too. Awake is DT's best album, IMHO. Just a complex, roaring set. 

40 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

We enhanced another thread by turning it into a Pink Floyd love fest, might as well ruin this one too. Awake is DT's best album, IMHO. Just a complex, roaring set. 

Fixed. 

Awake was my intro to DT, but I think I go to Images & Words the most. 

Speaking of Awake, when I'm warming up on guitar and I have a lot of distortion available I have been known to start off with The Mirror.

2 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

I most certainly dork over collections, but when you guys get into discussing rock (especially prog rock) it just whooshes over my head.

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

I most certainly dork over collections, but when you guys get into discussing rock (especially prog rock) it just whooshes over my head.

Me too...but I then think I am less of a dork than these other dorks. 

Which, obviously, is not true. 

11 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I am primarily a music dork, although I'm not as into prog as I was years ago. Definitely not for everyone!

4 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Do you think John Petrucci collects hockey jerseys?

He must.

Petrucci and I have crossed paths several times in my life. I have a ton of stories about all the times I’ve seen him. He lives just a mile away from my parents house, and I’ve even had conversations with him at the gym.

Awake is the one album I would choose to listen to if I had to pick just one album to listen to for the rest if my life. 

Side note: this thread is now the most exposure they’ve gotten in years. Lol

I went through a DT phase in college that lasted about 3 weeks.  Dark times.

Speaking of VCR's my parents (both are in their 70's) called me the other day because their VCR is broken.  They have one of those DVD/VCR combo players that they got over a decade ago.  I looked online for a new one and was floored by how much these combo players are because frankly very few need them.  "Reconditioned" ones started at $250 and brand new ones stated at $700 (!).  Ho-ly $&@%!

2 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Petrucci and I have crossed paths several times in my life. I have a ton of stories about all the times I’ve seen him. He lives just a mile away from my parents house, and I’ve even had conversations with him at the gym.

Awake is the one album I would choose to listen to if I had to pick just one album to listen to for the rest if my life. 

Side note: this thread is now the most exposure they’ve gotten in years. Lol

That dude LOOKS like he's at the gym a lot.

free exposure. Maybe they'll release a DT hockey jersey for us. I'd be all over a chain stitched DT logo...

24 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I went through a DT phase in college that lasted about 3 weeks.  Dark times.

Speaking of VCR's my parents (both are in their 70's) called me the other day because their VCR is broken.  They have one of those DVD/VCR combo players that they got over a decade ago.  I looked online for a new one and was floored by how much these combo players are because frankly very few need them.  "Reconditioned" ones started at $250 and brand new ones stated at $700 (!).  Ho-ly $&@%!

I sold a 10 year old combo VCR/DVD Recorder on eBay a couple years ago for more than I paid for it. So yeah, they're gonna need to either give up VHS or get separate units. And I am not sure you can buy a regular VCR either, you might have to get that at a yard sale, eBay or my parents' house. 

Guest Dr_Puck
47 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Maybe they'll release a DT hockey jersey for us. I'd be all over a chain stitched DT logo...

Hate to slam one of my favorite bands but if their jersey is like their current music, it'll have a bunch of crazy a$$ drawings that make sense to like two people and Jordan Ruddess' wizard-cap wearing face plastered all over it. (I'm a Kevin Moore fan.)

40 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

I knew my hoarding of VCRs would pay off! 

Haha!
Love it!

5 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

We ruined another thread..... 

Don't we already have a thread dedicated to music, maybe we should start a VCR thread.
The music stuff tends to bleed into every thread.

Man, the price of shipping VCR's these days!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-PV-V4520-VHS-4-Head-Hi-Fi-Stereo-VCR-with-Remote/132723237211?epid=66723444&hash=item1ee6ebe15b:g:OY8AAOSwk6hbXOOz:sc:USPSPriority!60101!US!-1

Im going to post my VCR/DVD combo for trade in one of the jersey groups.

Want a Matt Hunwick? No thanks. Rather keep my VCR/DVD combo.

Edited by NYIJM29

49 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

In fairness, at least its "expedited" shipping. 

:)

1 hour ago, NYIJM29 said:

Im going to post my VCR/DVD combo for trade in one of the jersey groups.

Want a Matt Hunwick? No thanks. Rather keep my VCR/DVD combo.

Might as well.  Those hold value better than a lot of jerseys these days lol.