The Transformation of a Crest

I love the history of the Islanders and their jerseys and I had been trying to track down an early 80s Sandow for a long time. During the holidays I was finally able to land one in my size but after posting it here, I realized the crest was way off the mark. It was clearly added after the fact and was embroidered, not twill.

So I have been hunting down the proper crest and finally found one that is a nearly perfect match... but its for the home jersey and not the road. Let the work begin.

So here is my jersey-

islanders-sk.jpg

Ouch that crest is ugly

Here is the proper crest-

preview_621_68159.jpg

hard to see but its a triple layer twill crest

Here is what I found, a nice youth large replica with printed Bossy customization-

1.jpg

It looks a little beat up in the pic but its actually pretty nice.

The issue is that the outer layer should be white but mine is blue. So, I started by removing the stitching around the orange layer being careful not to damage anything.

2.jpg

It came off pretty smooth so I took it into the bathroom and turned it inside out after peeling it back as far as the glue would allow.

3.jpg

Nice stains... gross...

I then applied some goof off from the inside to loosen the glue

4.jpg

But it wouldnt come off, then I realized, ######, the top layer is actually stitched through the whole thing. So I had to rinse it good and let it dry most of the way.

Then I removed the stitches on the top layer as well.

5.jpg

That came off pretty easily as well but the 3 stripes on the hockey stick were also stitched the whole way through, so I had to stop and take them out. They can easily be reapplied with orange stitching

6.jpg

I then cleaned them up a bit and ironed them, although still wet they look great.

7.jpg

So now, phase two will be getting a new white peice of twill for the bottom layer and having the stick stitching reapplied.

The jersey is out getting customized now but I will have this ready for when it returns.

Then I will remove the old crest and apply the new one for a perfect early 80's Isles Bossy jersey.

Cant wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Entertaining read. I like the creativity in creating the accurate crest you want. Can't wait to see it finished.

• 4 months later...

Finally another update to this, got the jersey back and the customization is awesome. I'm waiting to post it until the crest is complete but it should only be a week or two now. Its almost a perfect match to the original.

I took the old crest off and have the new one ready to go. A near year long process is almost complete. (bought this in November)

sk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome. Nice to finally see it completed and it looks amazing. Shows us that some creativity and patience can produce one incredible jersey.

Nicely done. That really turned out great and was worth the effort.

• 1 year later...

A small update to this thread. It took about another year but in December I got this back for the final time. I had the fight strap done to match the shape and placement of the gamer. Bossy actually would cut his off, I havent went to that level though haha. What started in Nov 2011 was finally 100% completed in Dec 2013.

bossy-b.png

bossy-f.png

preview_621_68159.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

job well done. jersey and crest looks great now. wish somebody could help me out with my burger king replica though. I feel it is too risky to be removing crests.